AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th April, 2003, 03:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Daleon Send a message via Yahoo to Daleon

Problems OC'ing

Hi guys, hopefully I won't catch to much hell but I need some basic help here.

I am having a hell of a time getting my system to OC. I generally know a ton about PC's, parts, etc. But I have just never had any luck with OC'ing worth a damn. So here is my current setup and problems.

Asus A7N8X rev 1, not sure exactly what .x it is.
Using the Uber 1003a bios
AMD XP2400+
MCX462+ heatsink with a 80 MM Tornado on it /w AS3
2x256 Corsair XMS PC3500 cas2 in slots 1,2
1x512 Corsair XMS PC3500 cas2 in slots 3
Memory settings 5,2,2,2
Thermaltake Xaser III Aluminum case with 7 silent fans
ATI Radeon 8500 64 (non-LE) Waiting to get my hands on a Hercules 9800 Pro
80 Gig WD ATA100
100 Gig WD ATA100

Problem
Runs fine at default settings, 15x133 = 1995.
I can push the fsb up to 140 and generally not have to many issues. If I go to 15x147 trying to get 2 ghz it just reboots when it tries to load windows.

If I try and adjust the multiplier clock it generally won't boot correctly, sometimes have to do CMOS reset. Other times it just seems to ignore it and boot at default speeds or even slower speeds than default.

I've tried pumping up the core, the memory power, dropping the memory timings, etc. I generally keep the memory 100%, which shows it at 133mhz matching my fsb so I guess that should be giving me sync? My SiSoft memory benchmarks are well below what they should be.

I know its not heat as my system stays incredibly cool. Asus probe and MB probe show like 30c idle, 35c under decent load. Case has a probe on the underside of the actual chip with display normally in the 40c range.

I know this chip prolly can't OC much but I'd like to get the FSB up more so I can get more memory performance. And get the chip to hang at 2.2 ghz atleast. I've heard varrying opinions about having to 'unlock' the XP2400. Do I need to do something like the pencil or tape thing on it to unlock the other multiplers?

Any suggestions and help is highly appriciated.

Thx

Last edited by Daleon; 25th April, 2003 at 03:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th April, 2003, 03:52 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

You shouldn't have to do any mods to access all multipliers.

Regarding your stability, what PSU are you using? The quality of it may impact stability, for even the slightest ocs, since you have quite a few power hungry components.
Old 25th April, 2003, 05:33 PM

Sorry, forgot to post that detail.

I have an Enermax 550 dual ball bearing PSU. Its basically the best I could get, $150+ for it. They were out of Sparkles heh. But this should be fine.

Not sure why it freaks out when I change the multipler then.
Old 25th April, 2003, 08:25 PM

From what I've read it sounds like I may have to do the wire trick with the L1 bridges. I am not sure but I fear my chip may be a not be a T-Bred B. Is there a particular stepping I should check in cpuid for?

Also is the wire trick needed just to be able to increase the fsb 15 mhz? Thought it was only for upper or lower multiplers.
Old 26th April, 2003, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daleon
From what I've read it sounds like I may have to do the wire trick with the L1 bridges. I am not sure but I fear my chip may be a not be a T-Bred B. Is there a particular stepping I should check in cpuid for?

Also is the wire trick needed just to be able to increase the fsb 15 mhz? Thought it was only for upper or lower multiplers.
IIRC the wire trick allows you access to multipliers of 12.5x and below. So say if you did the wire trick (or close the last L3 bridge) you would only be able to use 12.5 x and below. Also this trick would only work on a T'bred, since a T'bred's multipliers are factory unlocked anyway.

Also a T'bred CPU is easy to spot as the die is rectangular in shape (as opposed to the square of the Palimino) and also the steppings are marked on a shiny black label underneath the die(as opposed to being stamped on the die surface in the Palimino).

HTH
Old 26th April, 2003, 05:15 AM

Well I know its a T-Bred b/c I got the .13 die. CPUid shows it as:

Tbred
Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 Rev B0

So I am not sure what you mean by factory unlocked and then I still have to do the wire trick? Should I already have access to higher multiplers? The default is already 15, and I have tried some lower and had no luck. Even just raising the fsb to 147 doesn't work. Its odd I am getting such failure.
Old 29th April, 2003, 10:07 PM

hmm well i might b able to help you as i have same motherboard, and like worse mem and been able to achieve a 2.3ghz on just 2100 thouroughbread b, hmm well sumthin that it could b is portentially your gfx card not liking your high fsb @ all have you tried locking the agp slot at about 66mhz and see if that makes a difference? (oh yeah also i found taht putting my memory to automatic provided best results on the asus board, also you should b able to reach at least 2.2 ghz with that chip)

EDIT:btw my 2100 chip is running @ 195*12 stable with 3200 twinmos w/winbond

Last edited by graftonater; 29th April, 2003 at 10:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th May, 2003, 08:41 PM

Well I just switched out the 8500 for a 9700 Pro, which will go back as soon as a 9800 Pro/256 hits the street.

I thought it might be agp and tried locking it to 66 on the 8500 but it didn't make much of a difference. I have it back to auto now with the 9700 Pro. I haven't tried cranking it back up yet but will be tonight. I'm just kind of ticked Asus is not putting out a bios to make rev1 boards 200mhz compatible.
Old 8th May, 2003, 08:48 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
I'm just kind of ticked Asus is not putting out a bios to make rev1 boards 200mhz compatible.
It's not a software issue. There won't be a BIOS to make it magically 200MHz compatible. This is down to the hardware itself. The first 3 varients of the nForce2 chipset are not designed to run at 200Mhz. Some do, some don't, but that's luck of the draw.

Áedán
Old 20th May, 2003, 08:13 PM

Well glad you told me that, b/c otherwise I guess I would have actually believed the new bios Asus just put out that "magically" makes 200mhz fsb supported. Nvidia had previously already stated that 200mhz should be possible on the rev 1 boards with the right bios. So thanks for interjecting your total uninformed opinon on the subject.

Not that it matters, I switched to the Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 and hit 200mhz fsb immediately. But maybe now with this new bios I will put the Asus board to some use.
Old 20th May, 2003, 09:29 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
So thanks for interjecting your total uninformed opinon on the subject.
Dude, I don't think you have any idea who you're talking to. Aedan may possibly be the most WELL informed person concerning electronics you will EVER meet.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 20th May, 2003, 09:42 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Well glad you told me that, b/c otherwise I guess I would have actually believed the new bios Asus just put out that "magically" makes 200mhz fsb supported. Nvidia had previously already stated that 200mhz should be possible on the rev 1 boards with the right bios. So thanks for interjecting your total uninformed opinon on the subject.

Not that it matters, I switched to the Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 and hit 200mhz fsb immediately. But maybe now with this new bios I will put the Asus board to some use.
Your NF70s rev2.0 is definitely officially supports 200 and more easily (it uses the newest stepping of the nVidia2 chipset). Regarding nVidia's statement, they're not quite so "absolute". They claim that all of their nForce2 chips were designed to run at 200fsb. However, they claim that in order for the chip to run 200fsb, the board implementation has to support 200, and they put out a base bios recently that is suppose to reduce noise and improve the chances of mobos being able to hit 200.

However, you have to take that with a grain of salt. The older 'steppings' of the nForce2 chipset required more voltage, generated more heat, and were less stable at high fsb. Just like newer steppings of CPUs, the newer steppings of the nForce2 can run faster and cooler.

Rev1.0 mobos from all nForce2 mobos have a decent track record of hitting 200. But quite a few cannot. The fact that many can't do it is no surprise. Everyone was going off specs that didn't exactly exist yet... with no CPUs to test with, and as the process progressed, everyone tweaked their fabs and assembly lines, ergo rev1.1, rev1.2 rev2.0.....

BTW, no offense Daleon, but I have to agree with Mooky...
Old 22nd May, 2003, 11:27 PM

He may very well be. But I'm not exactly some 13yr old whose never been behind a KB. I have well over 15+ years of PC hardware/software exp. I spend everyday dealing with F500 companies doing various Billion $ projects.

Fact of the matter was, I was going off information recieved directly from NV about their chipset. Not just an asumption that Asus used early parts and crappy design for rev 1.x boards to asume they would never hit 200fsb. Quite a few ppl who could not hit 200+ fsb before now can, including me. I put the asus into another system and its clocking up almost as well as the Abit rev 2.0 does. Yea, there are ALOT of variables with hardware. But fact of matter was, there was no offical bios support of 200mhz fsb before when there should have been. So I was shooting down the comment, not the man.

And Mooky, you never know who your talking to on these boards for the most part, do you.