AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th May, 2003, 03:55 AM

8RGA+ owners, what's your actual 12v?

She's burning in nicely, this 8rga+ rev 1.1. Went to 200 fsb tonight and things look good. I'm babying her because I have a Palomino 1900+ and a Zalman Flower HSF, neither of which are in the OC Hall of Fame.

But from the get-go my Antec TruePower 480 has shown 11.73 on the 12v in USDM. I'm wondering if that is low; what's yours?

And yes, I know a multimeter is better, but I don't have one lying around.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th May, 2003, 10:23 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'll almost guarantee that the environmental monitoring chip is reading low. Most people who have looked at USDM/BIOS/MBM and done a measurement with a multimeter have found the monitoring chip to read too low. The occasional few have found it to read too high!

This is why it's better to use even a real cheap multimeter!

Áedán
Old 5th May, 2003, 12:28 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Even if the onboard reading was 100% accurate, you are still in good shape. I think the rga draws a lot from the 12v line and you are still within the 5% tolerance range. With older boards that draw mostly from the 5v line, low 5v readings were common.

5% of 12v is +/- 0.6v, so you should be fine. Don't give it a second thought unless you encounter instability.
Old 5th May, 2003, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
Even if the onboard reading was 100% accurate, you are still in good shape. I think the rga draws a lot from the 12v line and you are still within the 5% tolerance range. With older boards that draw mostly from the 5v line, low 5v readings were common.

5% of 12v is +/- 0.6v, so you should be fine. Don't give it a second thought unless you encounter instability.
Thanks y'all, that makes be feel better. But I do think I'll drop by Radio Shack and get a cheap-ass multimeter per Aedan's point; couldn't hurt.

Now to my next n00b search/post...when to know you need to increase the voltages while overclocking...hopefully that's been asked somewhere already...