AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 4.82 average.
Old 24th November, 2013, 08:30 PM

I used to thoroughly enjoy mine in the earlier days when this area was more moderately populated, but as traffic increased it became harder and harder to relax and enjoy the ride. For sure, I never fully appreciated the concept of defensive driving until I started riding a motorcycle. Of course, the way some clowns behave on motorcycles, it's obviously a question of the individual. I'm inclined to feel some riders deserve to be run off the road because they give the rest of us a bad name, thereby increasing our risk. Just doesn't pay to annoy operators of larger/heavier vehicles. (Unaware bicyclists can be a nuisance too and I still ride a bicycle.)
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 24th November, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th November, 2013, 12:04 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I couldn't believe how little traffic inhabited the roads of the Sea-Tac area the first time I came here. Forty years later, there's traffic to spare, but it's always something. Perhaps some other area of the Lower 48 is still free of road clogging, but I'm too lazy to find it. No, I don't live in Alaska, far too cold! And Hawaii is too expensive, again with the always yadda.
Old 27th November, 2013, 11:54 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's amazing how crude and near useless the first bicycles were. I read that there are more patents for the improvement of bicycles than there are for cars.
Old 28th November, 2013, 05:04 AM

Ah, surely, you're not referring to those magnificent Penny-Farthing conveyances are you? Well, even if you are -- Happy Thanksgiving, my very best to you and all!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 28th November, 2013 at 05:05 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th November, 2013, 04:06 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

AFAIK, the first bicycles resembled today's, minus any propulsion or braking accouterments. A gentleman straddled it and walked it down the road, such as "roads" were at the time. Penny-Farthing contraptions came much later. Half-pennies were still in circulation when I inhabited('66 and '67) England, but Farthings were gone.
Old 2nd December, 2013, 02:15 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

And those UK pennies of yesteryear were huge, approaching those long gone US silver dollars in diameter.
Old 2nd December, 2013, 06:06 AM

I prefer the pre-decimalisation coinage (pounds, shillings, pence): farthing (quarter penny, wren on reverse), halfpenny (ha'penny, "heipni"), penny ("a copper", 1d, large), threepence (thruppenny bit, "thrupence", twelve sided brass), sixpence ("a tanner", 6d or 6p), shilling ("a bob", 1s = 12 pence), florin (two "bob", 2s), half crown (two "bob" and six, 2/6), crown (5s), half sovereign (10s), sovereign (a pound sterling, 20s, value of .24 ounces of 22 carat gold), guinea (21s). Much more character !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 3rd December, 2013, 11:47 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yes, the old coinage was hoary with tradition. But whut's a poor furriner to do? Quite confusing at first, tbh. AFAIK, Guineas didn't exist in coinage, or "notage." Some luxury items were priced in Guineas, to remind you that you'd entered the land of snooty money.
Money went very far as Britain was still recovering from WWII, I can't ever remember having a five pound note. I was still a kid and had no need of real money.
Old 4th December, 2013, 04:30 AM

Yes, Guineas existed in coinage, likewise Half Guineas, but a number of coins became disused even before decimalisation. If you go back a bit further you find Groats (4d) and Half Groats (2d). English coinage has a long history (likewise the country).

::: A Short History of English Coins :::
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 6th December, 2013, 12:05 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Fascinating, thank you for the great link! "L S D" always amused me for the illicit substance reference but I learned that it meant "Pounds Shilling Pence" long ago. Never had a gold Sovereign, the extra weight they contain over the Swiss, Italian and French coinage of the earlyish 20th century put my wallet off.
Old 8th December, 2013, 01:49 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Maria Theresa "Thalers" are probably still being counterfeited.
Old 8th December, 2013, 10:12 PM

Never had a gold coin of any sort, but have always tried to collect coins and notes of whatever sort I got my hands on. Don't have many, would love to have Sovereigns, Guineas, and Groats, but don't. Guess I wasn't a very successful collector, but I do love the old UK coinage.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 9th December, 2013, 11:45 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yes, I should have saved a pocket full of coinage from pre-decimalisation Britain. The coins were definitely interesting. I think I still have one of the .1867 ounce Swiss coins with the stolid milkmaid on the front of it. Alas, I have no need of a stout safe to hold my abundant collection of one coin.
Old 10th December, 2013, 03:21 AM

The "stolid milkmaid" sounds very fine to me, but that's the Swiss for you, a stolid bunch. Hold onto it, a part of your personal history and something you can actually grasp. I won't let go of my Farthings and Florins and I hope you'll stand true to your Swiss "milkmaid". A toast to us both !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 11th December, 2013, 11:04 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Farthings and Florins, messengers from the past, definitely nice objects to hold on to. I inhabited the Swiss Alps for a year as a youngster, I was a lucky kid in some ways.
Old 13th December, 2013, 05:14 AM

It's a shame the past is so readily forgotten, there typically being a preoccupation with the present. But when has the present been truly disassociated with the past? I'm not clear that's ever been the case! Yes, the present generally appears more attractive, but then, the past tends to be the precursor.

Perhaps a controversial thing to say, but I suspect most kids are fortunate in at least some ways. Life contains many ingredients and it's easy to identify many children that have far less privileged lives than we. But for them, they may well have enjoyed privilege far beyond others they knew! All children deserve the best life has to offer (do the innocent deserve less?), but whether that will be provided is uncertain at best, probably unlikely.

If you follow Lawrence O'Donnell on MSNBC, he is driving an effort to provide desks to African children so they do not have to sit on the dirt floors in school while trying to learn. How much difference will that make? Who knows, but it clearly makes a big difference to the children who are blessed with desks. They greet them with excitement and song. (An associated benefit being the work/income opportunity provided to African workers in making the desks.)
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 13th December, 2013, 10:36 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Good on Lawrence O'Donnell, what a noble cause he supports! It's easy to drift in to the past if the present lacks worthwhile substance, but I can't blame that on anyone I don't see in a mirror.
Old 13th December, 2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post
All children deserve the best life has to offer (do the innocent deserve less?)
Just a thought. Many adults seem confused as to the meaning of innocence as pertaining to children. It doesn't mean that they do no wrong, only that they're not fully comprehending right Vs wrong. It harkens back to the Garden of Eden where Adam and Eve were innocent until they ate of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, whereupon innocence was forever lost. Children can be angels and they can also be remarkably dastardly, both are contained within the realm of innocence.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 15th December, 2013, 11:04 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Watched "The Kid" last night, one of the so far very few good movies among the "100 Comedy Greats" or whatever that pile of mostly dreck is called. Charlie Chaplin is one of the greats!
Children face a steep learning curve, it would be wonderful if we treated all of them well.
Old 16th December, 2013, 12:18 AM

Now that's an idea, the only Chaplin I have is "The Great Dictator". After all this hunting around for Clone Wars media, perhaps it's time to pay more attention to silent classics like "The Kid", "The Gold Rush", "The Circus", and "Modern Times". Maybe Buster Keaton too, say "The General". It's fun to track down special items to add to my library ! Trouble is, I spend far more time tracking than viewing, so as usual, my viewing backlog is out of sight !

PS. For that matter, need to go back and view "Metropolis" again -- pretty amazing piece of work that also deals with children and their position in society.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 16th December, 2013 at 08:42 AM.

« New cooler | - »