AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 4.82 average.
Old 17th December, 2013, 10:07 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"Metropolis" is a fantastic film, far, far ahead of its time. Saw it on TCM a while ago. I thought Buster Keaton was a laugh riot as a youngster. Sad that he was brought down by the charge of "indecent liberties," assuming I'm not confusing him with another old film star.
Old 18th December, 2013, 07:56 AM

Sounds like a suggestion of sexual liberties, as in underage. Between that and the McCarthy witch hunt, I'm not sure what to expect. It was Erol Flynn that was a screen sensation, but then defamed due to predilictions. It was Polanski that took liberties on U.S. soil (not that many U.S. citizens don't) and is today legally assailed due to his offense towards a 14yr old. Is this all justified, or is it a reflection of the severely puritanical (hypocrytical?) attitude of the U.S.? Would other countries perhaps see this in other perspectives?

Not long ago, an attractive Florida secondary school female teacher took a male student as a lover. She was eventually prosecuted, but not incarcerated. If a male teacher is found at fault, he can pretty much count on incarceration. A West Coast female teacher became pregnant twice by a student and was sent to prison, but upon her release, the two were married. What really makes sense when it comes to sexual contact between the very young and the older? How often does the complainant in such situations turn out to be themselves an offender? Are we really just talking about a sense of guilt? We are sexual beings, perhaps there are limits as to what can be reasonably expected of us?

I suspect there's a lot of distortion. Human beings are human beings, but sophistication/understanding tends to depend on age/experience. Perhaps what matters most is respect between ourselves and those we contact. It's never appropriate to take advantage of other human beings, regardless of age. I suspect that's the fundamental problem. In the absence of respect we have only anarchy, humanity is lost. Humanity is what should be most valued, young or old, female or male, the future is always the young, but it must be supported by the old! The young can't be expected to carry the burden by themselves. Your love of your children is always measured by your willingness to stand by and for them!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 18th December, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th December, 2013, 10:50 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Young people should be spared the improper advances of those who SHOULD know better. Polanski is a brilliant director, but "seducing" a thirteen year old girl isn't kosher.
Old 20th December, 2013, 03:17 AM

I agree entirely, sexual interest should never override the welfare of another. Polanski deserved the legal maelstrom he drew upon himself (though has apparently now escaped). However, statistics say one in four women are raped in this country (that's the U.S.) from age extremely young to quite old (not separating out statutory). What is the relationship between morality and reality? What can be expected from "human beings"?
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st December, 2013, 10:53 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It would be nice if we would restrain our baser instincts. Once in a while fer cryin' out loud.
Old 23rd December, 2013, 10:05 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Merry Christmas, and to all a good day!
Old 25th December, 2013, 11:23 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Merry Christmas to one and all!
Old 28th December, 2013, 12:46 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Bah humbug! 363 more shopping days before Christmas.
Old 28th December, 2013, 01:21 AM

I had a great Christmas, got myself a new old-stock receiver and my first electric shaver in buku years, both on sale from Newegg! In fact, I sent a fair amount of cash their way the last several weeks -- need to start trying to collect it again !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 30th December, 2013, 12:05 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Congratulations, looks like Santa got your list right! I received the complete DS9 and five Jack Reacher novels. They sure don't measure up to John Le Carre,' but who other than himself does?
Old 30th December, 2013, 04:01 AM

Just completed my DS9 collection yesterday, thanks for the tip! Not sure when I'll start viewing, but I'll get there. There's so much excellent material to engage with and so many distractions to deal with it's a little exasperating at times. Still, sounds like you have means to engage your attention at least awhile -- congratulations and Happy New Year !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 30th December, 2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 31st December, 2013, 11:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you. A happy new year to everyone! I'll be glad when 2013, 13, 13, 13 is buried!
Old 2nd January, 2014, 04:34 AM

Not too excited by '14 personally, but hey, what's another year!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 2nd January, 2014, 11:53 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

How many humans in history have had to live through a year xx13? We're just lucky I guess. Oops, 1300-1399, maybe I shouldn't complain!
Old 4th January, 2014, 11:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Not complain? Hooray for the red white and blue, yadda, yadda ,yadda!
Old 6th January, 2014, 04:22 AM

I'm rather fond of the number "11" myself. In terms of symbolism the "Number Eleven possesses the qualities of intuition, patience, honesty, sensitivity, and spirituality, and is idealistic." "The number eleven is thought of as a "master" number in numerology because it is a double digit of the same number. When this occurs - the vibrational frequency of the prime number doubles in power. Meaning, the attributes of the Number One are doubled." Also, "In English, it is the smallest positive integer requiring three syllables and the largest prime number with a single-morpheme name." Yes, I really am rather fond of "Eleven"!

The Symbolism and Spiritual Significance of the Number 11
Spiritual Meaning of Number Eleven
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11_%28number%29
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 6th January, 2014 at 04:26 AM.
Old 6th January, 2014, 05:09 AM

And just think, that happened twice, BC and AD. Of course, the population was smaller the first time around, so perhaps the impact was less? On the other hand, before the arrival of AD, there was likely no recognition of BC and so the thirteenth century BC wouldn't have existed until long after it had ended. Whew, no doubt a relief for all concerned! In fact, seems BC didn't originate 'til the 6th Century AD, which implies same for AD (talk about confusing). In any case, YAY for a whole bunch of 13's that never happened!

Year Origin
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 6th January, 2014, 09:52 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Shazam, I didn't think of the poor boogers that experienced 1399-1300 BCE. Fortunately, they didn't know! My birthdate is rich in "9's." Not an eleven to my name.
Old 6th January, 2014, 11:37 PM

Taurus here, May 11, hopelessly stubborn ! Rather fond of the month of May for that matter, Maypole and other such wondrous pagan traditions!

Maypole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Origins of the Maypole Dance
May Pole Dancing at Winterborne Stickland Fete 2006 - YouTube
Wiccan, Pagan and Witchcraft Holidays., April 30th, Beltane
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 8th January, 2014, 11:48 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

My brother was a Taurus, I miss him especially on May 2nd of every year. I wish he was still with us but the world leaned on him unmercifully. Boy howdy.

« New cooler | - »