AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 4.82 average.
Old 16th May, 2013, 03:19 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
Saw "The Taking of Pelham 123" on TCM last night. Hijacking a subway train, how desperate for attention do you have to be?
Denzel saving the monkeys by driving an elephant, now thats a great subject!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th May, 2013, 10:54 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

This was the original production, no Denzel to be seen.
Old 18th May, 2013, 08:32 AM

Exactly! If you haven't seen the original "The Taking of Pelham 123", then you haven't seen "The Taking of Pelham 123". Another example of a total waste of time and effort remake.

Seems like when a remake surfaces, some 90% of the time, you're better off digging up and enjoying the original. I guess what's impressive is maybe as high as 10% of the remakes actually ARE worth watching. Still, that's a pretty poor average IMO. I guess their trick is to wait long enough to catch the next generation so they're actually fooled into thinking it's an original film. Still, if they throw in enough explosions and special effects, they'll probably succeed with the current generation, so perhaps they actually have a good formula? That's a sad thought !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2013, 09:14 AM
Benchmarker

I've heard he was in a movie with a hijacked airplane or something, one cannot but wonder, when he will run out of Earth vehicles, will he command the Enterprise?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 18th May, 2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 18th May, 2013, 09:51 AM

He was definitely in a movie with a hijacked train, but the original "Runaway Train" with John Voight, Eric Roberts, and Rebecca De Mornay was easily superior. He used to be a good indicator of a worthwhile film, but not so much anymore, likewise Tom Hanks and especially Cuba Gooding Jr. Seems like Hollywood is pretty much out of interesting ideas, and it's hard to characterize dreck remakes as interesting. Still, no doubt it's a pay check for many, that surely qualifies as value. It's just interesting how undiscriminating the average film-goer has become with time. Mindless entertainment for the mindless? I guess so!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 18th May, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 18th May, 2013, 06:48 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post
Exactly! If you haven't seen the original "The Taking of Pelham 123", then you haven't seen "The Taking of Pelham 123". Another example of a total waste of time and effort remake.

Seems like when a remake surfaces, some 90% of the time, you're better off digging up and enjoying the original. I guess what's impressive is maybe as high as 10% of the remakes actually ARE worth watching. Still, that's a pretty poor average IMO. I guess their trick is to wait long enough to catch the next generation so they're actually fooled into thinking it's an original film. Still, if they throw in enough explosions and special effects, they'll probably succeed with the current generation, so perhaps they actually have a good formula? That's a sad thought !
I miss Walter Matthau.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 19th May, 2013, 06:08 AM

He was great -- I especially enjoy him in "The Bad News Bears" with Tatum O'Neal (1976). I can't really imagine a better portrayal of his character. Seems like the movie industry is far too focused on finding photogenic actors (GQ or the like "quality"), whereas they should be focusing on the actor's ability to bring a character to life on the screen. Walter was certainly not the only one, but he was definitely one of the greats!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 19th May, 2013, 10:37 AM
Benchmarker

How about Sidney Poitier? What a fine actor!

Old 19th May, 2013, 07:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post
He was great -- I especially enjoy him in "The Bad News Bears" with Tatum O'Neal (1976). I can't really imagine a better portrayal of his character. Seems like the movie industry is far too focused on finding photogenic actors (GQ or the like "quality"), whereas they should be focusing on the actor's ability to bring a character to life on the screen. Walter was certainly not the only one, but he was definitely one of the greats!
Nobody could chew gum like Walter!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 19th May, 2013, 08:13 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Walter made the original "Pelham 123," he was the glue that moved the production. Hijacking a subway? It's a silly idea because you so can't "fly it to Cuba."
Mr Washington Is probably embarrassed by his runaway train flick, it was terrible. "Flight" is good but the first 30 minutes are a must see while the rest is doggedly slow, even though it makes a worthwhile point in the end.
I don't know if Sidney Poitier is retired or what, but he is indeed a great actor.
Old 19th May, 2013, 11:17 PM

Still waiting for "To Sir, With Love" (1967) on Blue-ray (sigh)!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 21st May, 2013, 08:59 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Is it available on DVD? Lulu certainly had "it," which I can't define.
Old 21st May, 2013, 11:26 PM

The DVD is available on Amazon (Amazon.com: To Sir, With Love: Sidney Poitier, Judy Geeson, Christian Roberts, Suzy Kendall, Ann Bell, Geoffrey Bayldon, Faith Brook, Patricia Routledge, Chris Chittell, Adrienne Posta, Edward Burnham, Rita Webb, Paul Beeson, James Clavell, Peter Tho). I picked up the LD (and many others) back when everyone was dumping their collections in anticipation of DVD releases. The scoring and especially Lulu's singing are just wonderful on LD. I generally feel DVD falls short, but a Blu-Ray release with DTS Master audio and fully restored video would be wonderful !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 21st May, 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 23rd May, 2013, 10:30 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Hate to reveal my ignorance, but what is a "LD?"
Old 23rd May, 2013, 11:14 PM

Nothing wrong with a little "ignorance" here and there, one of the things we all share in common (though many might deny it)! Probably one of the biggest bequests of my education is a more full and in depth appreciation of my ignorance.

LD stands for Laser Disc, a silver disc the size of a 33-1/3 rpm vinyl record (but much heavier). Encoded via pits and read by laser optics, it was the "elite" medium for movie watching back in the days of VHS and before the arrival of DVD. DVD video quality is generally a nice step up in resolution and calibration consistency to LD, but the audio quality of the LD PCM Prologic tracks is easily superior to the Dolby crunched jitter disjointed stuff you get from DVD. However, Blu-ray is capable of delivering the whole enchilada, just hoping they get round to it.

LaserDisc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 24th May, 2013, 06:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"All that I know, is that I know nothing".

Socrates got into trouble when he walked about Athens showing others that theirs was the greater ignorance in that they thought they possessed knowledge.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 26th May, 2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 25th May, 2013, 09:33 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Duh, sorry, Laser Disks. I was surprised to discover that they seemed to be exactly the same size(but thicker than) 33 1/3 LP's from the days of vinyl.
Old 26th May, 2013, 12:14 AM

And they rotate pretty fast, takes one seriously hunky motor to spin them up. If the hub clamp fails, it takes a loonnnngggggg time for the disc to stop -- all you can do is wait 'cause that sucker's dangerous! I still have most of my collection, but many have retired in the face of newer editions. Blu-Ray is usually a safe bet (though no guarantee) but DVD is always a gamble.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 26th May, 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 29th May, 2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
"All that I know, is that I know nothing".

Socrates got into trouble when he walked about Athens showing others that theirs was the greater ignorance in that they thought they possessed knowledge.
Thinking of your "stones" reference in another "Free AOA Case Badges" thread, didn't Socrates have an uncomfortably close encounter with some? I presume that relates to the trouble you refer to !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 29th May, 2013, 07:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ah! One of mankind’s first crimes against reason! They brought him up on charges for...

(Does this sound failure?)

"Corrupting the youth" He taught the youth in his charge to question, "all that is"
"The City fathers..ie the rich" of course convicted him and gave him a choice of drinking Hemlock (poison) or exile.

As he was at this time a very old man, and to be without a city to belong to was a different kind of death... he drank the hemlock...

His last works are said to have been a request that a friend who was present repay a man to whom he owed a chicken...

And so the man to whom Western philosophy owes EVERYTHING, left this world poor, but without debt.

Socrates taught this world how to make a decent inquiry. His words are the very foundation of Logic. His teacher was said to have been a woman, A mystic, the Oracle at Delphi.

His foremost disciple Plato. Plato wrote only of Socrates. Socrates himself never wrote a thing, he always and only asked the right questions, Plato recorded them for the children of men.

He was said to have been horribly henpecked by his wife. This has always kept him dear to my heart...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 29th May, 2013 at 07:23 PM.

« New cooler | - »