AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th May, 2003, 09:02 PM

Regarding EPoX dividers

Reading through the EPoX mobo forum and the corresponding rules I noticed the following:

Quote:
Principally some questions concerning the VIA and nVidia Chip sets, most frequently the question of dividers and PCI locks.
As I have never gotten a straight answer on whether the PCI bus is locked, or based on a divider, etc. I am hoping that somebody can shed some light on this.

This is information that should be provided to the customer, but that's just my humble opinion.

Any details on the aforementioned topic and how specifically the 8rda+ handles PCI bus speeds would be helpful. If I'm somehow in violation of a rule by asking this, well, you can ban me or whatever.

I'm not trying to start a thread on why we can or can not have this info, I just want some info.

Oh, and I also just noticed that we can't post links in our sig. I'll remove mine right away, although I seriously doubt my weenie review site will be harmful to the forums here.

Thanks!
Kingston HyperX PC3500 @ DDR444 2-3-3-7
World Web Chat | Web Design
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th May, 2003, 12:36 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

It would appear that the PCI bus is locked on the EPoX nForce2 boards. There have been many arguments and the concensus is that it is indeed locked. As for details, do a search for hypertransport. You'll find a couple of interesting reads concerning that.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th May, 2003, 12:40 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: Regarding EPoX dividers

The 8RDA+ like most (all?) nForce2 motherboards uses internal clock generators. This is completely different from VIA based boards which use external clock generators.

Since this is the case, the 8RDA+, like most (all?) nForce2 motherboard, only appears to supports 33MHz for the PCI bus.

If, as it appears, the PCI bus supports completely asynchronous transactions, then it shouldn't matter what speed the FSB, AGP or RAM is running at. The PCI bus is completely seperate from them.

On the other hand, bits of logic tie in together. If you run part of the system right up against it's limits, then you may find that other areas suffer too!

Áedán
Old 20th May, 2003, 12:43 AM

Thank you both for the great info and the welcome!

I knew that it was either locked or multiplied, or I wouldn't be hitting 220+ FSB... thanks for the clarification though. I'll certainly follow up with some more research on hypertransport.

Thanks again!
Kingston HyperX PC3500 @ DDR444 2-3-3-7
World Web Chat | Web Design