AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th May, 2003, 01:23 AM

Best nforce2 rev2 mobo

i'm thinking about upgrading to an nforce2 rev2 mobo.

there's two i particularly like:

Abit NF7-S v2.0
Epox 8RDA3+

i don't care about soundstorm because i have an Audigy 2.

out od these two mobos, which do you like and why? or would you recommend something else?
Old 29th May, 2003, 01:33 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

The Abit comes with an IDE to SATA adapter so you can use the SATA connection with your current HD without having to buy one.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2003, 03:33 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

What mooky said.. I don't know the rda3+ at all, but others here do.

I went against the grain so to speak and got an nf7s v2, for the sata adaptor, dedicated rear sound ports, and the warrantee. Since teh rda3+ wasn't available at the time, the nf7 was an easy choice for me.
Old 29th May, 2003, 09:39 AM

luv2surfnet, WELCOME TO AOA!

More people so far have tried the Abit to the 8RDA3+ so I think your gonna get a more biased opinion.

The Epox has the advantage of better cooling, it has better NB coolnig than the oringinal and now the SB has coolnig too. I'd say the Abit is gonna have more features though.

The 8RDA3+ also now has Dual-LAN I think (please correct me if Im wrong guys.)

Hope this helps,
Craig
Old 29th May, 2003, 11:11 PM

abit has a great rep and updates their bios responsibly. and of course, epox is the same.

both are elite boards. both companies have an eye on overclocking and release good bioses.

they really have the same M.O. as far as i'm concerned, except abit's been doing it abit longer.

you can't go wrong with either company. emphasis should be on whether you're sure you wan tthis chipset, now, and at how much you can get it at. Whatever fits the budget better or what's on sale. the sata adaptor is really nice, but really not necesary if you're on any budget. it's a high quality adaptor though, and if your case has a window, you will want to use sata.
Old 30th May, 2003, 12:21 AM

thanks for all the feedback.

the Epox is less expensive and i've had great luck with their boards in the past. Abit seems to have more BIOS updates, and to me that's usually a good thing. most Abit boards i've had have been pretty decent, and i've owned several. they just don't seem to overclock as well as Epox, at least with an AMD CPU.

guess i'm leaning towards the Epox at the moment.
Old 30th May, 2003, 12:54 AM

Hi luv2surfnet-

I have 5 NF7s of various shades, including 1 NF7-S rev 2. That board is smoking. I'm doing 220 FSB ( synch ), but have had it up to 225 stable before. Have done no mods on that board, yet, and might not - doesn't seem to need it.

Don't be too sure the Epox is faster.

Having said that. I also have to say I am using several Epox boards. Right now, am running an 8K3A+, an8K5A2+ ( I'm on it right now ) and an 8RDA. They all run like demons.

I wanted to try out an 8RDA with the A1 northbridge, but didn't want to wait for an 8RDA3+, so I just got 8RDA+ rev 1.1 board. It is sitting on my dining room table, ready to go in a box. I put Zalman ZM-NB32J heatsinks on the NB and SB, and have a new 1700+ JIUHB under an SLK-900.

So, I don't know yet how good it is. But I will soon. As soon as I get my lazy butt up and pull the existing mobo from it's case, put the new board in and "borrow" a DVD-ROM from one of the other machines.

Looking forward to it and expecting great things. It will be intersting to compare the board to the NF7 rev 2.
Old 30th May, 2003, 05:27 PM

My vote is for the NF7-S v2.0

I am very happy with mine.