AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd June, 2003, 09:42 AM

Unhappy Temps

I've got an XP2400 with an SLK800 with an 2.5k 80m fan on it, my CPU temp is 51oC which I'd say is a tad warm to say the least, does the 8KHA+ use the internal temp sensor on the chip and is it an accurate reading...?

I know my fan is slow one but I still would of thought the chip would be a bit cooler, I have reseated the heatsink and reapplied my AS3 a few times and this makes no difference :/
Old 2nd June, 2003, 03:03 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, Drago!

I don't know if the 8KHA+ uses the in-socket or CPU's internal sensor for temperature reporting, sorry. If the 51C is at load, it isn't a bad temp. If it's at idle, personally I'd get an 80 mm fan with some oomph to it.
Old 2nd June, 2003, 03:11 PM
Member/Contributer

Idling at 51C is pretty hot, hows your case cooling?
Old 2nd June, 2003, 11:00 PM

Case is a Lian-Li cant remember what model number tho, its got 2x60's in the front and 1 in the rear and the side of the case is off, its 11pm and nice and cool here n the temps are as follows...

CPU 57oC
Board 38oC

Thing is the side of the case is off :/
Maybe its a bit warmer than I thought....

Time to aquire a slightly beefier 80mm fan me thinks as the one in here atm is only a coolermaster 80mm case fan....

Wanna get my temps sorted b4 I start tweaking my system, its getting a bit slow now but I dont want to upgrade cos the Hammers n stuff are on the horizon and I want a Shuttle
Old 3rd June, 2003, 04:51 PM

Maybw a good idea to get equal amount of air going in as out as it sounds from what youve wrote that you dont....if you can bear the noise.

Welcome to AOA!

Craig
Old 3rd June, 2003, 06:10 PM

The 2 fans on the front are only spinning 1/2 speed, the one in the back is on full, this should about equal it out no?
Old 3rd June, 2003, 07:44 PM

how much CFM of air does each fan push ?

it should be equasl amount to stop a vacuum being created, thats all

Craig
Old 3rd June, 2003, 08:11 PM

Not sure TBH, I think I'm just gonna get a better 80mm fan for the CPU for now and then try and tweak memory timings and such n squeeze as much outta this rig as I can and try to hold back my upgrading urges
Old 4th June, 2003, 08:13 AM

good idea, a good amonut of air (50odd CFM) on CPU heatsink is a must

Craig
Old 5th June, 2003, 01:43 PM

Well I just found the box for the fan, Coolermaster SAF-B82, I'm getting the feeling this thing doesnt push half of that...
lol, oh well
Old 5th June, 2003, 08:00 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

AFAIK, Lian-Li makes deluxe cases. Perhaps mounts for larger intake fans are already in place? 60 mm case fans are a bit oxymoronic, IMHO.
Old 6th June, 2003, 09:28 AM

Sorry my bad, there 80's not 60's, typo

An 8oC drop in case temp has only yeilded a 1.5oC drop in CPU temp, new fan ahoy...
Old 6th June, 2003, 10:01 PM

FYI, CPUCool from Podien.de allows you to switch readings between motherboard thermistor and on-die transistor. Allows you to see how different the readings can be. CPUCool's cooling feature works wonders at dropping temps(8K3A and TbredA@2Ghz running 84oF/30oC idle. Only 3oC over case temp)and reduces power consumption.

Also, run your case fans at full speed as the excess flow will leak out the case holes!

http://www.podien.onlinehome.de/default.htm