AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st June, 2003, 09:16 PM

Swapping motherboards, VIA -> Nforce2 question

Was orginally running a soyo dragon ultra kt333 motherboard, but just a few days ago I had an accident and the board burn up. (heh). Anyway, I'm in the market for a new board that is stable and fast. I came across Soltek's golden flame board. I liked how it look and it recieved some high rating across various sites. I ordered one and it's on it's way as I type this. Now anyway, my question:

My harddrive. Loaded with just about everything in my life. I lose this and I'm basically screwed. Since I'm going to be installing a new board with a Nforce2 chipset from a Via chipset, is it a MUST to reformat? It didn't slip my mind that my harddrive has via drivers on it when I ordered the board, but when I think about it even if I did remember that, I wouldn't have gone Via again.

Is there a chance that I can just pop the new board in, boot everything up, remove the via's and install the nforce2 drivers? I'm using windows xp home if it helps. Thanks in advance, cheers! :beer:
Old 21st June, 2003, 10:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to chris4521 Send a message via AIM to chris4521

you shouldnt have to reformat. i went from a kt333 --> nforce2 without a reformat. i'd suggest you get that stuff backed up and reformat in the near future though.
1x 256mb geil ultra platinum DDR (pc3500)
Albatron GFFX 5600 Turbo (400/900)
40gb 7200 ata133
48xcdrom, 4x2x24x cdrw :<
Sony trinitron multiscan 20sfII
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st June, 2003, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the reply chris :]

I make it habbit to freshly reformat once every month or two, so it sounds like I'm good to go!
Old 22nd June, 2003, 12:56 AM

I just swapped in an Asus Nforce1 (A7N266) up from a crappy Biostar M7VIG-Pro (Via chipset) that failed after 2 weeks. Running winxp-pro. I re-installed windows on top of itself and surprisingly all of the data and settings remained intact. It did leave behind some stuff that was native to the board like sound and video drivers and Hardware monitor. I would recommend that you do an F3 search and delete the remnants of the old board before installing your new drivers. And any software that you have on CD like printer, scanner,etc.. use add/remove and re-install it. I also used regclean to get all scraps of the old board software out of the system. To do it the right way though you should put the hard drive as a slave into another system and pull all your irreplaceable data and do a clean install. I may have just gotten lucky this time and wanted to see if it would work. So far so good (3 days), it'll probably crash big time tonight.
bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd June, 2003, 01:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

You have to 'repair' the OS. Boot off of the WinXP CD, and then it will say you have a existing WinXP install, and ask if you want to repair. Say NO. Then say you want to install XP, and select the HDD, and it will ask about wiping existing C:/Windows files, and say yes. Do NOT reformat your hdd unless you wan to.. It should work!
Old 22nd June, 2003, 01:34 AM

Well I would remove all traces of the old board and whatnot if I could get to the HD. I dont have a spare computer anywhere, and im using a laptop now. I have to just try and boot from my last config with the old board. I'll try out the repair option if it doesn't work. I hoping I can still have my documents folder, since all my files are within there. we'll see what happens I guess.

thanks for the replies.
Old 22nd June, 2003, 02:35 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I would advise against trying to boot without repairing. There are tons of differences. The single biggest concern to me would be the southbridge IDE drivers. It will undoubtably fail to boot into windows. However, if you are unlucky, it will get just far enough to load some drivers and totaly fubar your os. I suggest going right into the XP CD instead.
Old 22nd June, 2003, 02:44 AM

yea that would suck :[

is it possible to slave my hd (never done this before) in my sisters old celeron comp? I can try and get it if I really need to. Just load it all there and burn it onto a cd or something.

Anyone have a guide for this? First time for everything eh!? :]
Old 22nd June, 2003, 03:44 AM

ah nevermind. became impatient and took out my HD to take a look at it. switched the pins around to make it a slave and just popped it in. transfering my files as we speak.

thanks everyone who posted, I think i'll make out a-okay :]