AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th July, 2003, 08:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mad old tory

That thing just keeps on goin
MSI Geforce 4MX440
Soundblaster Audigy
Noname 350w PSU
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th July, 2003, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad old tory
That thing just keeps on goin
thanks.. Mad old tory
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th July, 2003, 09:18 PM

Hey thanks and thanks

Getting ready to move into a new house so at that time when i set up my new office im gonna put the freezer in a convienent position to be used to deep freez my rad.

Ill let u guys know how it goes, prolly go nuts with silcon on the board before i do so. thanks for the tips chris ill have to find some kinda pipe insulation at the home depot i reckon then =)

also chris what kinda temps did yah get putting a rad in the freezer anyway dood?
WD special 80's x2 and 1x 20 // Sony 48x24x48
Hitachi7515~19inch .22dp ~ BB ATI 9600pro 540/351
Thrustmaster Fox 2 pro usb// Nostromo n50// IBM opti mouse
Old 18th July, 2003, 10:03 PM

I have my water chiller up and running. -45c cold cold cold. have not hooked up to computer yet, waiting for humiseal. dying to try it can't wait. Going to blow whatever away ha ha I love everybody
Old 18th July, 2003, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4
I have my water chiller up and running. -45c cold cold cold. have not hooked up to computer yet, waiting for humiseal. dying to try it can't wait. Going to blow whatever away ha ha I love everybody
haha.. nice!

i can't wait for your result either. Good luck on your new overclock.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 19th July, 2003, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever
oh and i forgot to mention, as we know, POST is just the first part of the bootup system process. Is your 2.65ghz good for POST only?.. what about startup, load windows, and can you make it to windows? sure..... I can "POST" at 2.83~ 2.85Ghz+.
That's all I said. Good cooling => little difference between POST vs. stable.
I have pretty low cost($10) and poor(current setup -> die temp. ~70C full load) [but silent] cooling, so I hardly manage 2.3G stable.

I mean that POST shows you a potential of given piece.
And difference POST-stable shows how good your cooling is.

At all, I admire results like yours, cause there is allways a lot of work behind.

Great thanks for reply's, and please excuse my english.

BTW I've read whole thread before posting

Last edited by mino; 19th July, 2003 at 01:28 PM.
Old 19th July, 2003, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mino
That's all I said. Good cooling => little difference between POST vs. stable.
wrong again..

That is nowhere "little" difference between POST vs. Stable. POST is only first part of the boot up process. System loading windows to the desktop is another.

Not only that, but to run any applications??

and to run prime95?

is that a little difference between POST and "stable"??

Those are two different things, not "little difference".

Whether it's good cooling or not, POST and "stable" is very different.

Quote:
And difference POST-stable shows how good your cooling is.
wrong again(for the third time)..

there is no such thing as POST-stable. If being able to POST is considered a stable system, the system not turned on(power cord unplugged) is considered "stable" as well.

The computer system is considered stable if your system is able to load windows, get to the desktop, run heavy applications, pass Prime95. Now, that's stable. There is no such thing as POST-stable where the computer just barely boots and shows system identification and "mhz" in the screen.

Quote:
I have pretty low cost($10) and poor(current setup -> die temp. ~70C full load) [but silent] cooling, so I hardly manage 2.3G stable.
and you say there is "little difference" between POST and the system "stable"???

your CPU cost $10??

if not, what.... HSF?

if $10 is all you can afford, why do you have the xp1700 processor? why not just a PentiumPro or 486? I am asking this because I find this little too strange.

Quote:
I mean that POST shows you a potential of given piece.
and you say there's "little" differece between POST and "stable"?...
I thought you were the one pointed out basing your system by highest stable overclock speeds, not POST.

Quote:
At all, I admire results like yours, cause there is allways a lot of work behind.
of course.

Quote:
BTW I've read whole thread before posting

which post?

This one? or starting from your very first reply?

be precise which one you're talking about.

If you're talking about starting from your first reply, then obviously you have not read all of my posts in this thread. If you really have read them, I wouldn't get such reply you have posted here. Read the quote below.
Quote:
In present load I don't believe your darling could survive for more than 3 month.
this is what you've said to me.

it is not very nice approach to tell someone "your darling" ain't it?

and of course the content in your reply which indicates you were/are not aware of my "super-cooling", meaning you have not read my previous posts. Even if you have read it, you skipped it, or overlooked, or read too fast and misunderstood the information.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 20th July, 2003 at 12:26 AM.
Old 19th July, 2003, 06:15 PM

And let's not get confused here..

My setup does not cost hundreds of dollars.

There is my mobo, cpu, block, hoses (all these are standard). No radiator, meaning 0 dollars. No extra valves, connectors, etc, meaning 0 dollars. Only things needed are: pumps (which is required for any watercooling, so I don't even count this), dielectric grease(or home made grease), meaning 0 dollars. Insulation foam, 2 pieces, 75 cents each, $1.50 total. Deep freezer, that I already have. It is even cheaper than a regular watercooling so I just don't understand why you're keep mentioning/emphasizing your system setup being so cheap and mine cost like gold. I would take "this" little difference in cost. Makes good a sense here. The word "little difference" would be applied here.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 19th July, 2003 at 08:42 PM.
Old 19th July, 2003, 09:25 PM
Member/Contributer

whatever, your killing me here! Where are these pics!?
Remember, BEG, BORROW or STEAL.

May I ask what is and where do you use the dialectric grease?
I assume the insulating foam is on the back of the board? Whats with the silicone spray that was being discussed in the earlier posts? Where do you spray and what for?

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th July, 2003, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
whatever, your killing me here! Where are these pics!?
Remember, BEG, BORROW or STEAL.

May I ask what is and where do you use the dialectric grease?
I assume the insulating foam is on the back of the board? Whats with the silicone spray that was being discussed in the earlier posts? Where do you spray and what for?

Laz.
pics not availabe yet. Don't wait for me.. you might die out.

dielectric grease is a grease that allows electrical contacts (CPU pins and socket holes for example) and keep water from getting in there. It can be used in other areas as well, not only the cpu pins but the resistors and the rest of the circuit of the board.

I haven't used silicon spray. But I use different kind, which keeps water from getting into the electrical circuit and get shortended out, it also beads water.

I don't have foam attached on the back of my socket(back of the board). I just have grease covered. But you can apply a foam there too.

Don't rely too much on the spray, unless you gonna apply a ton of it. I prefer dielectric grease or other type(similar performance) i use at home(can't tell ya, it's my little secret, hehe)

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 19th July, 2003, 09:42 PM

For those who want to get a rough idea what sort of liquid source I'm using, refer to this picture. This is not my pic.. and it is somewhat similar but my liquid isn't in the container, but directly in the deep freezer itself, with 35~ 40 gallons of liquid, which is far more extreme than the picture shown. The color of my liquid is blue, with some ingredients. Before this setup, it used to be red.

http://fugger.netfirms.com/frozen.jpg

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 20th July, 2003 at 01:37 AM.
Old 19th July, 2003, 11:52 PM
Member/Contributer

So your main board is covered in grease? How messy is it? Is it easy to remove?

AOA Team fah
Old 19th July, 2003, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
So your main board is covered in grease? How messy is it? Is it easy to remove?
not quite... but i have it applied in some good portion of the motherboard, mostly in cpu pins, socket area, all the transistors, resistors, capacitors nearby the socket, and AGP slot and transistors next to the NorthBridge. remember... my video card is superchilled to death.. far more than CPU. eh eh...

oh yes, super messy. You will have to give up some to get some. It is a little too messy to revert back to the original condition...

You also should apply Neoprene foam for the socket area, not just grease. Don't rely on grease only. There are many ways to protect/insulate the system and there is no straight answer. It depends on the user's style and what level of chilling you'll be going.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 20th July, 2003 at 12:17 AM.
Old 20th July, 2003, 12:14 AM

i forgot to mention... i've been using a antec smartpower 350, with the 80watt pelt(for the video card) running at the same time.

another thing, to avoid confusion, my system is not in a case. it's an open setup and the board is positioned in various ways(changable). One of the setup position is similar to copyman over at overclockers.com and many others over at [H] and extreme.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 20th July, 2003 at 12:19 AM.
Old 20th July, 2003, 01:59 PM

Quote:
For those who want to get a rough idea what sort of liquid source I'm using, refer to this picture. This is not my pic.. and it is somewhat similar but my liquid isn't in the container, but directly in the deep freezer itself, with 35~ 40 gallons of liquid, which is far more extreme than the picture shown. The color of my liquid is blue, with some ingredients. Before this setup, it used to be red.

http://fugger.netfirms.com/frozen.jpg
Whatever, Hi. What kind or how big is your freezer? My bathtub doen't hold 40 gallons.I like the color of blue matches my eyes.What are you using to keep it for freezing methanol or ethanol? And what are you using to make it blue.Mines blue also I started off with window washer fluid but had to add more methanol to stop it from freezing below -30c.I'm still waiting for my humiseal,that's what I'm going to use to coat my mb to keep out condisation along with alot of dielectic grease. So hopefully I'll be able to hook my chiller up to my computer next weekend.It sucks waiting, but I'll have acouple of beers and wait

PS the pic looks like a 7-11 slurpy
Old 20th July, 2003, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Whatever, Hi. What kind or how big is your freezer? My bathtub doen't hold 40 gallons.I like the color of blue matches my eyes.What are you using to keep it for freezing methanol or ethanol? And what are you using to make it blue.Mines blue also I started off with window washer fluid but had to add more methanol to stop it from freezing below -30c.I'm still waiting for my humiseal,that's what I'm going to use to coat my mb to keep out condisation along with alot of dielectic grease. So hopefully I'll be able to hook my chiller up to my computer next weekend.It sucks waiting, but I'll have acouple of beers and wait

PS the pic looks like a 7-11 slurpy
i use 5.5 cubic foot deep freezer. yes.. i use methanol, windows washer fluid, also have some small amount of other mixtures.

I haven't used a bathtub. Is it good? How much of liquid does it hold and how well does it cool it. Can it sustain -30C~ -40C while running the system constantly or do you need to charge it up? Sounds like your freezer is good.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 20th July, 2003, 10:36 PM

Quote:
i use 5.5 cubic foot deep freezer. yes.. i use methanol, windows washer fluid, also have some small amount of other mixtures.

I haven't used a bathtub. Is it good? How much of liquid does it hold and how well does it cool it. Can it sustain -30C~ -40C while running the system constantly or do you need to charge it up? Sounds like your freezer is good.
I was just kidding about the tub. what I was tryiny to say is 35-40 gallons is a lot of liquid
Old 20th July, 2003, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I was just kidding about the tub. what I was tryiny to say is 35-40 gallons is a lot of liquid
ah i see.

35~ 40 gallons was my estimate, not exact. It should be at over 36~37 gallons based on my calculation. it's filled up near full in my freezer. The full capacity is approx. 41.14 gallons.

you've said you have a chiller at liquid temp of -40C. that's impressive.. i would like to see it. If you do have liquid actually running at -30~ -40C, you can get tremendous amount of overclock on your XP1700. Hitting 2.8~ upper 2.8Ghz prime stable should be no problem.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 20th July, 2003 at 11:55 PM.
Old 21st July, 2003, 12:35 AM

Lightbulb little reinterpretation

Huh, I just have to live in USA or UK to wrote better.
There is a whole page of misunderstanding(my imperfection).
Quote:
wrong again..
That is nowhere "little" difference between POST vs. Stable. POST is only first part of the boot up process. System loading windows to the desktop is another.
"Good cooling => little difference between POST vs. stable"
I meant this:
"In case of of good cooling there is ussually little diff. between (highest freuquency at)POST versus (highest accomplished) stable(freq.)"
{stable means: 'prime95 stable' and so on, simply whatever measure for stable machine you have}
Quote:
Whether it's good cooling or not, POST and "stable" is very different.
Of course it is different, but it Isn't the same yours 2.9 and 2.8(0.1/2.9=3.5%) versus my 2.65 and 2.3(->0.35/2.65=13%).
So I will say: U have 96.5% 'efficiency' versus my poor 87% 'efficiency'. Metaphoricly said.
Quote:
there is no such thing as POST-stable. If being able to POST is considered a stable system, the system not turned on(power cord unplugged) is considered "stable" as well.
:-))) nice said..
by "...difference POST-stable shows..."
I mean "...difference: {(max. achieved)POST(freq.) -(read 'minus') (max. achieved)stable(freq.)} shows..."
Quote:
The computer system is considered stable if your system is able to load windows, get to the desktop, run heavy applications, pass Prime95. Now, that's stable. There is no such thing as POST-stable where the computer just barely boots and shows system identification and "mhz" in the screen.
Absolutely good said,I hope my opinion on this topic is clear to you now.
Quote:
your CPU cost $10??

if not, what.... HSF?

if $10 is all you can afford, why do you have the xp1700 processor? why not just a PentiumPro or 486? I am asking this because I find this little too strange.
I wrote: "I have pretty low cost($10) and poor(current setup -> die temp. ~70C full load) [but silent] cooling, ..."
It means my cooler costs$9 and fan$1.5(both at wholesale with tax).
{BTW in my contry $350 is average month income and for now Barton2500+BOX costs $110 with 20% tax included}
Quote:
it is not very nice approach to tell someone "your darling" ain't it?
By ""your darling"" I meant your CPU and it was hint to Glum versus Ring from Lord Of The Rings{in our contry Glum calles The Ring as "milá?ek" in direct translation "darling"}
Quote:
and of course the content in your reply which indicates you were/are not aware of my "super-cooling", meaning you have not read my previous posts. Even if you have read it, you skipped it, or overlooked, or read too fast and misunderstood the information.
Ihope this is resolved allready.

To All: I'm really sorry for such a long post, but I have to resolve this.

2 whatever
I'm about to lern english this year so I hope to be more accurate in the future.

Again, wish U many good pieces(of CPU's).

Last edited by mino; 21st July, 2003 at 01:09 AM.
Old 21st July, 2003, 12:54 AM

About my first post here: All I wrote, I mean exactly as I wrote at that time.
As you reply, i changed or clarified some opinions on this topic, I hope this is a normal approach in states too, isn't it?

To newer posts about your setup:
the freezer itself costs about $400 so It isn't cheap at all !

And consider fact: my college room is 3x2.5metres (10x8feets) big, so such a 'cooler' is a pretty crazy idea.

For this summer I'm about to make fully woody case apprx. 2x1x2feet big, so next year (classic)water cooling is expected.
----------------------------------------------
However your cooling setup shows pretty crazy too, methanol is a good idea, but is pretty toxic, so be careful :-)
{I'm studying chemistry}

Last edited by mino; 21st July, 2003 at 01:19 AM.