AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st July, 2003, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mino
"Good cooling => little difference between POST vs. stable"
I meant this:
"In case of of good cooling there is ussually little diff. between (highest freuquency at)POST versus (highest accomplished) stable(freq.)"
{stable means: 'prime95 stable' and so on, simply whatever measure for stable machine you have}
Read what i've said in your reply again...
Quote:
The computer system is considered stable if your system is able to load windows, get to the desktop, run heavy applications, pass Prime95. Now, that's stable. There is no such thing as POST-stable where the computer just barely boots and shows system identification and "mhz" in the screen.

This explains and segregate the difference between the system able to POST and system able to run/pass Prime95.

Your belief of system being "stable" sounds like POST'ing is considered stable. You seem to rely on POST'able clockspeeds a bit too much. Many people here, in these days, base on stable systems, which means, you need to be able to run heavy applications for extensive times and to pass Prime95.

Quote:

Of course it is different, but it Isn't the same yours 2.9 and 2.8(0.1/2.9=3.5%) versus my 2.65 and 2.3(->0.35/2.65=13%).

Read your own reply. Right below.
Quote:
(I post at ~2.65 with my setup but stable was~2.3 => insufficient cooling+PSU...).

~2.3ghz & 2.65ghz is a "little" difference?

I don't see why you're trying to make a big deal on this. This is pointless. Maybe I didn't try higher overclock to make my system to just "POST". But that is not my interest. What matters is that I achieve much higher overclocked speeds i.e. upper 2.7Ghz on a xp1700 compare to the ones that are not supercooled. That is the point, not this the one you're bringing about.

Quote:
by "...difference POST-stable shows..."
I mean "...difference: {(max. achieved)POST(freq.) -(read 'minus') (max. achieved)stable(freq.)} shows..."

Once again, same thing you are still bringing on, like the previous one.
Since you're so deep at this, you are highly interested in mhz difference between "highest clockable POST speed" and "highest overclocked stable system speed" aren't ya. To answer that question, read my message I just have stated earlier:
Quote:
I don't see why you're trying to make a big deal on this. This is pointless. Maybe I didn't try higher overclock to make my system to just "POST". But that is not my interest. What matters is that I achieve much higher overclocked speeds i.e. upper 2.7Ghz on a xp1700 compare to the ones that are not supercooled. That is the point, not this the one you're bringing about.

Quote:
Absolutely good said,I hope my opinion on this topic is clear to you.

Only that part, but you are making a big deal on in mhz difference between "highest clockable POST speed" and "highest overclocked stable system speed" . I just find this pointless. Don't rely too much on the POST speeds and your actual "stable" overclock speeds. The overclockability rate of a processor is not at linear rate. Once again, the importance is actual stable overclock, not POST speeds.

Quote:
I wrote: "I have pretty low cost($10) and poor(current setup -> die temp. ~70C full load) [but silent] cooling, ..."
It means my cooler costs$9 and fan$1.5(both at wholesale with tax).
{BTW in my contry $350 is average month income and for now Barton2500+BOX costs $110 with 20% tax included}

I figured that $10 is your HSF, as I mentioned in my reply there. I said "if not, what..... for the HSF?" that means if not CPU, your HSF costs $10. so yeah, I know what you were talking about. I was just questioning you.

So maybe you should "save" some money to get a descent air cooler maybe? don't you think?.... If you can afford a XP1700, you can afford to save some money on a air cooler, can't you?

Quote:
By ""your darling"" I meant your CPU and it was hint to Glum versus Ring from Lord Of The Rings{in our contry Glum calles The Ring as "milá?ek" in direct translation "darling"}
Ihope this is resolved allready.
That is what I meant.
Of course I knew you were refering to my CPU, otherwise what did you think I was thinking? ... like I'm your darling? no, of course not. I know you were refering to my CPU and that is not a very nice way to tell somebody "your darling" ain't gonna last 3 months. I don't really mind saying something like that, but not "your darling". It is one of the ways to try to upset/ provoke a person. it is definitely not a best way to say it.

Quote:
To All: I'm really sorry for such a long post, but I have to resolve this.
yes... you have crapped my thread, and constant dragging.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st July, 2003, 01:29 AM

Quote:
To newer posts about your setup:

I..... believe..... I have mentioned "deep freezer" in first two three posts in this thread, didn't I?? If you have read it carefully, you would understand what deep freezing and its liquid/water temperatures i have mentioned in those posts long before my recent posts.

Quote:
the freezer itself costs about $400 so It isn't cheap at all !

just because you think it costs you $400 doesn't mean it costs me $400. You see what I'm getting at?
It could be your exaggerations, or found some highly priced item from wrong stores, no?
My deep freezer costs me $130, and did I say I bought it for my cooling? No. I've said, I already have a deep freezer. READ Carefully. Once again, it is even cheaper than a standard watercooling system.

Quote:
And consider fact: my college room is 3x2.5metres (10x8feets) big, so such a 'cooler' is a pretty crazy idea.

hmm....... That is your problem. We are not feel sorry for that. That is your problem to deal with. Just because you "can't do this and that" doesn't mean you get to pick on my system overclocked result. (if you don't understand why I said this, read your original reply on page 2.)

Quote:
However your cooling setup shows pretty crazy too, methanol is a good idea, but is pretty toxic, so be careful :-)
{I'm studying chemistry}
This advice would've been ok if you were talking to the newbie, but.... i've been doing this for long time. I'm not posting this thread because I just started a new chilled/freezer cooling, but posted this because of a new higher overclock. Let's keep this not get confused here.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 21st July, 2003 at 01:43 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st July, 2003, 01:41 AM

Freezers are cool

the one im gonna use for just RADiator is 4.7cubic feets.

/me sends whatever a camera so he can see this insane setup heheh
WD special 80's x2 and 1x 20 // Sony 48x24x48
Hitachi7515~19inch .22dp ~ BB ATI 9600pro 540/351
Thrustmaster Fox 2 pro usb// Nostromo n50// IBM opti mouse
Old 21st July, 2003, 01:50 AM

Unhappy

Finish this discussion, I have no need for 5 pages of explanation what and how i meant at all, and this would last longer.

Yet one sentence:
I DO NOT STAKE ON POST RESULTS !, i use it ONLY in testing of CPUs and only because it's fast and enough accurate to predict capabilities of certain piece. Relations described up are only from my observation. And yours results showed common fact.

By.

Last edited by mino; 21st July, 2003 at 01:58 AM.
Old 21st July, 2003, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Finish this discution, I have no need for 5 pages of explanation what and how i meant at all, and this would last longer.
I don't think you have even actually read my last two reply.. and start jumping into conclusions.
The response time was too quick based on what I've been monitoring. Read again and I do understand what you meant in your replies, one before the last one. If you read carefully, you would get it that I understood your point, but also mentioned that point is useless in my opinion. Comparing highest POST'able clockspeed and highest "stable" system clockspeed is not interested by me, like mentioned in that reply of mine. Read again, before jumping all over.

Quote:
Yet one sentence:
I DO NOT STAKE ON POST RESULTS !, i use it ONLY in testing of CPUs and only because it's fast and enough accurate to predict capabilities of certain piece. Relations described up are only from my observation. And yours results showed common fact.

That is not a good way to test the CPUs.

As mentioned by me before, the overclockability of CPUs are not at linear rate. The closer you reach the top clockspeeds for a given CPU core, the narrower the difference between "highest POST'able clockspeed and highest "stable" system clockspeed". Your way of testing the CPUs is not very good in my opinion.. You want to test the systems, base them on highest overclocked "mega stable" clockspeeds. Don't compare it with the POST'able clockspeeds. Big difference.

Quote:
Finish this discussion

Read your original post in page 2.

You are the one started this, picking on my CPU core and telling me my core could get disintegrated at 2V and my CPU is not going to last 3 months when you didn't even pay attention that my system is supercooled. And you picking on other things related in my overclocked results. In addition, you called my CPU "your darling". Furthermore, you kept on dragging on this, crapping my entire thread, nice going.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 21st July, 2003 at 08:02 AM.
Old 21st July, 2003, 02:55 AM

Another thing to point out,

In page 2, one of the statements in your reply says:
Quote:
However, 1.98Vcore is prety much for this a core thus I will operate it at about 2.5G @ 1.75Vcore..

That is not a good way to make judgement either.

It depends on what cooling level you're applying.

This CPU needs 1.93V to run stable at 2.5ghz with Top-end Air cooling, SLK800 + Delta38, and not totally stable in Prime95.

Superchilled watercooling gives me 2760+mhz@ 1.97V@ Prime95 stable.

If you are going to make judgements like that, at least include "cooling level at constant(either in air cooling with same fan and ambient temp, or supercooling with same water temperature). How do you know what vcore I need to get 2.5ghz stable with the superchilled setup? Your judgement of 1.75V core is not accurate. You need to consider all these cooling senarios.

Another thing, as for the methanol, read this article. It's a good site and has reliable information.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles609/index03.asp

btw, have you done watercooling before? Hope I'm talking to a person who is highly experienced in watercooling...

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 21st July, 2003 at 03:04 AM.
Old 21st July, 2003, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever
ah i see.

35~ 40 gallons was my estimate, not exact. It should be at over 36~37 gallons based on my calculation. it's filled up near full in my freezer. The full capacity is approx. 41.14 gallons.

you've said you have a chiller at liquid temp of -40C. that's impressive.. i would like to see it. If you do have liquid actually running at -30~ -40C, you can get tremendous amount of overclock on your XP1700. Hitting 2.8~ upper 2.8Ghz prime stable should be no problem.
Whatever, Hi First off you will see my setup and you will see -39c. My Digital therometer only goes to -40c. But like you I don't have a digital cam so you will have to wait to I get my film developed. And I'm only on pic #9 out of 24.
I like this thread I hope I can improve on your overclock. Its to bad some poeple don't get it. Stable is stable thats what you shoot for, as fast as you can go stable. You can't just boot up and say OK it will be stable at this voltage and this fsb. LOL One things for sure I'll never get into a argument with you. Beer time
Old 21st July, 2003, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4
Whatever, Hi First off you will see my setup and you will see -39c. My Digital therometer only goes to -40c. But like you I don't have a digital cam so you will have to wait to I get my film developed. And I'm only on pic #9 out of 24.
I like this thread I hope I can improve on your overclock. LOL One things for sure I'll never get into a argument with you. Beer time
Hope you didn't take my reply badly, because I had no intention to offend you in any way... When you mentioned about the bathtub, I really thought you were refering to the chiller. There are some overclockers over at other forum use some sort of bath waterchilled system. I can't tell/describe exactly.. but heard something about it which cools pretty good. That's why I thought you were talking about that... i had a little confusion there.

and no, I do not enjoy arguing, except when there is a guy(actually there had been two guys in this thread) comes in here, spots my thread, my overclocked result, and signs up his account just so he can spew in my thread is what i do not tolerate... that gets me off, the most. I'm not trying to put down on the new members, but it is way they come in here and spew in my thread without actually knowing what is going on.. and not carefully reading.

Quote:
Its to bad some poeple don't get it. Stable is stable thats what you shoot for, as fast as you can go stable. You can't just boot up and say OK it will be stable at this voltage and this fsb.
lol.. I agree with you totally. Thanks for your reply.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 21st July, 2003 at 11:15 PM.
Old 21st July, 2003, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Hope you didn't take my reply badly, because I had no intention to offend you in any way... When you mentioned about the bathtub, I really thought you were refering to the chiller. There are some overclockers over at other forum use some sort of bath waterchilled system. I can't tell/describe exactly.. but heard something about it which cools pretty good.

and no, I do not enjoy arguing, except when there is a guy(actually there had been two guys in this thread) comes in here, spots my thread, my overclocked result, and signs up his account just so he can spew in my thread is what i do not tolerate... that gets me off, the most. I'm not trying to put down on the new members, but it is way they come in here and spew in my thread without actually knowing my cooling setup is what bothers me.

lol.. I agree with you totally. Thanks for your reply.
Hope you didn't take my reply badly, because I had no intention to offend you in any way...

No I thought it was funny! And as far as arguing with poeple in this thread I think they are every young and think the know it all. I'm 47 years young built my first computer 23 years ago. heath kit h8. And I mean built it mb and every thing. Used hdos cpm msdos . I started at the beginning. One thing age has done to me I'm not going to argue with people that don't know what they are talking about. I think you did a good job explaining yourself to poeple who have to do alot of reading to learn half as much as you know.

p.s. Don't let anything bother you your way ahead gotto go
Old 21st July, 2003, 11:27 PM

hey thanks for the reply. I appreciate your words.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 21st July, 2003, 11:35 PM

Quote:
hey thanks for the reply. I appreciate your words.
I was going to edit my post but your reply was to quick. I was going to say once I pass your 2745 overclock they will be coming after me! Ha Ha

Old 21st July, 2003, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4
I was going to edit my post but your reply was to quick. I was going to say once I pass your 2745 overclock they will be coming after me! Ha Ha

ah i see!

well u know mine's at 2760 prime stable, hehe!

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 24th July, 2003, 07:21 AM

Ok, i've read *almost* this entire thread, but not the whole thing so excuse me if you've already addressed this. You NEED 10MHz to get the coveted 100% OC.

Come on dude... 1 more MHz fsb!

It's killing me lol

That's the best OC i've seen in a very long time