AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th July, 2003, 02:02 PM

Asus A7V8X-X over_volt

I have bought this motherboard recently and I`ve noticed that it has an over_volt jumper that is supposed to enable core voltages up to 2V.
When I move the jumper and set it to enable over_volt mode, nothing happens. Same voltages available in BIOS, everything is the same.
Is there something else I should do? I would really need some more voltage for the CPU and I don`t want to solder anything again.
Old 14th July, 2003, 07:24 PM

Hmmm, interesting ! I have an A78VX-X mobo too, but i must tell you, i haven't tried the overvolt.

BTW... whit which BIOS have you bought your mobo ? I had originally 1003.
Old 14th July, 2003, 07:34 PM

Ok here's my experience with the Over_volt jumper and my A7V8X. When you enable the jumper, the values you can select in the bios will NOT change, however the actual vaules of those options WILL change.

Example: When the jumper is disabled and the bios is set to 1.85, the actual voltage will be 1.85. when you enable the jumper and set the bios to 1.85(the max setting), the actual voltage will be 2.05.(the over_volted max setting)

This should be easy to check, enable the jumper, set the bios to 1.85, reboot and check the voltage in the BIOS under Power->Hardware Monitor.

Good luck.
Old 14th July, 2003, 07:46 PM

SeanK !

Sorry for the "half off-topic", but... I have 2 important questions:

I. Have you tried to flash the new BIOS ?

I've tried it. I used the AFLASH Util to do this.
As you know, this program have two opportunity:

1. Save current BIOS to file
2. Update BIOS including BOOT Block and ESCD.

First i saved the old (1003) BIOS to the Boot disk, then tried to flash the new (1005) one. But the 2. line in the program was like this:

2. Update BIOS WITHOUT BOOT block and ESCD !!!

Tell me why !!! And the first time i've flashed, everything was O.K, but after reboot, both my Win98 and WinXP were frozen. Nothing has helped this problem.

I reflashed the old BIOS and the Op.Systems were correctly working again !!!

Than i made a "CLEAR CMOS" before flash, flashed the new BIOS again, the made a "CLEAR CMOS" again, and the system still works correctly since then. But either this was a "HALF-BIOS UPDATE" !!! I mean: WITHOUT rewriting Boot block and ESCD.

And i don't understand, why this happend !

II. What's your oppinion about the latest BIOS (1006 Beta) ?
Are this Beta BIOS dangerous to use ?

Last edited by Stephen; 15th July, 2003 at 01:45 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th July, 2003, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
SeanK !

Sorry for the "half off-topic", but... I have 2 important questions:

I. Have you tried to flash the new BIOS ?
I've flashed to the newest bios with the windows updater. I did it a while ago, so I'm not sure on the options available. I'll check it out tonight when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
II. What's your oppinion about the latest BIOS (1006 Beta) ?
Are this Beta BIOS dangerous to use ?
I have an A7V8X not an A7V8X-X. My mb bios on a differnt version schedule than yours, sorry.
Old 15th July, 2003, 04:50 PM
Member/Contributer

It was the same with my old A7V333. Over_volt jumper does indeed add a certain value to the options in BIOS. You can check it with MBM5 for example.