AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th July, 2003, 10:16 PM

Immense heat problems ... :/

Ok thats the third real topic, and its still on my quest to get a somewhat stable system....

After been fighting with this 8RDA3+ board, someone posted the link to that topic where someone (not sure about you guy's names, so instead of screwing up, ill replace it by somebody ), where someone posted a few things you could do in the BIOS to get the boards working a bit better. Fine, done that, works. I think.. ANyway heres the new prop:

I get an INSANE amount of heat with this thing. Hmm better post my specs before we go on...

SPECS:
3000+ Barton running 166FSBx13
512 pc2700 Kingston Value ram (running: 11-2-2-2.0 )
EPoX 8RDA3+ rev 1.1 (motherboard)
Harddrive 1: 7200rpm Maxtor 40GB
Harddrive 2: 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda 80GB
MSI GeForce4 TI4600
Soundblaster Live! 1024
100mbit Lancard (cant remember the brand)
Aero7+ Cooler

Anyway, if i put the case sides on, i get a temperature of almost 63C on the CPU itself, bear in mind that i am using an Aero7+ cooler set to max (which is about 3590rpm). This is from normal system usage, I have 2 normal 80mm TT fans in the front of the cabinet, and 1 80mm TT fan mounted just nex to the CPU.

So the one fan at the CPU pushes air OUT of the case while the two at the bottom in the front sucks in air. The system temp gets a bit high too, but that usually stops at 42 tops.

Now, what the heck might be wrong here ? I mean, with the case on i cant even complete 1 3DMark 2001SE test without the system locking up. And it makes alot of noise with no case, and i bet it still has a pretty high temp...
Old 16th July, 2003, 11:13 PM

... I know i shouldnt be impatient but, surely some of you must know just a bit about cooling ? Common mistakes or something ? Its kinda annoying listening to the persistent sound of a 120mm PAPST fan blowing... along with the Aero+7 at 3590RPM too. that makes noise.. All help is very welcome!
Old 16th July, 2003, 11:29 PM
Member/Contributer

Have you set any of the thermal alarms in the BIOS?
If you have set the CPU overheat to about 65C then that may be why its shutting down.
I'm not too familiar with the 8RDA3+, does it overestimate the temps like the 8k3a+? If so just adjust the temp alarms in the BIOS to about 70C and see what happens.
Hope that helps.
Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th July, 2003, 11:46 PM

It should "overestimate" the temps like the other board youre mentioning cause theres this err, thing (forgot the word) in the middle of the socket, which takes the temp, so its in direct contact with the very core of the CPU.. But that still is high, and as i said, it locks up during a 3D Mark 2001SE test, suspect it to be due to the massive amount of heat.....
Old 17th July, 2003, 09:59 AM

*BUMP*
What could i have done wrong here ?
Old 17th July, 2003, 11:44 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

First, your ram is rated for cas 2.5 @ 166mhz. If the memory is unstable, the problems you were facing in the other thread are common. Also, what voltage are you running your CPU?

Aero? I've never heard of it. For a barton running over 2ghz, I recommend not cutting corners on the HSF.... make sure you are using a good cooler. If it does not lock up when the side panel is off, then if is almost definitely heat related. Get better cooling for your CPU, and try to improve case ventilation if you can.
Old 17th July, 2003, 12:05 PM

If I understand your problem,try reapplying thermal paste and check to see if the heatsink is properly seated. Also you may need a better heatsink.
I saw a similar problem on Asus board. This seems to have cured it.
Old 17th July, 2003, 02:07 PM

DarkCarnival, if possible try turning Aero's FAN by 90 degrees. Its possible that your fan is sucking back part of hot air going out from heatsink.

I hope you understood, my english sometimes sucks
Old 17th July, 2003, 02:47 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

First things first here! Your system temperature appears rather high. Remember that the air taken to cool the CPU comes from within the case, so if it's already hot, there's less cooling it can do!

My suggestion would be to work out why the system is running so hot first. The fans used in computers do not tolerate partial obstructions well. Hitting such a limitation will cause the fan's efficiency to degrade rapidly!

Imagine the airflow through the case - pretend you're blowing smoke at the fans at the front, and see if you can work through how the air will flow through. You certainly don't want to see the same air recirculating, as the exhaust air will be hot.

Most cases take in cold air at the lower edge of the front, which gets blown into the case, and makes it's way upwards towards the PSU, where it travels through to exit.
Old 18th July, 2003, 01:12 AM

the aero7 is a great cooler but u gotta like they said get the heat out of the case man, need better intake and exhaust flow.
WD special 80's x2 and 1x 20 // Sony 48x24x48
Hitachi7515~19inch .22dp ~ BB ATI 9600pro 540/351
Thrustmaster Fox 2 pro usb// Nostromo n50// IBM opti mouse
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th July, 2003, 03:45 AM

Quote:[So the one fan at the CPU pushes air OUT of the case while the two at the bottom in the front sucks in air. The system temp gets a bit high too, but that usually stops at 42 tops]

Try turning the fan around to to pull cool air in to the case, also make sure the CPU fan is blowing down into the heat sink.
see if the above has any impact on your case and cpu temps.
You also may want to consider a blow hole in the top of your case with a 120mm fan if you have room it will help exhaust the warm air from you case. What is your room temp? If you in a very warm climate you may want to invest in a window ac unit to cool down the room a bit. Does wonders for high case temps. Let us know how you get on.
Old 18th July, 2003, 12:59 PM

Quick little tip I discovered... On all the fans mounted on the outside (at least the ones that you can't see readily), CUT OUT THE GRILLS. If you have no danger of little ones sticking their fingers in the fan sockets, cut the constricting aluminum drilled grills out to an open circle for maximum CFM. I dropped my temps a good 8 degree's Celcius by doing so.

Also I tried many different combinations with my fans to see which provided the best cooling. All in all I have 5 "case" fans for intake and exhaust. Of those five only 1 is exhaust and the rest pulling cool outside air into the case. This creates dramatic positive pressure, and my only exhaust (aside from the PSU), is mounted on top (hot air rises)

Keep tinkering, you'll get it.
AMD 2100+ XP::Week 48 (AIUHB)::191x11@2101Mhz//EPoX 8RDA+//Corsair PC3500XMS 256x2(512Mb)@386mhz::4-2-2-2(Cas)//MSI Geforce 4 Ti4200 128Mb *Stock*//60GB Maxtor UATA-133//19" CTX//Altec Lansing 2100//Volcano 9 HS--ThermalTake SmartFan II@4800rpms::77Cfm//Temps:: (34C)Idle (38C)Load
Old 19th July, 2003, 05:13 AM
Banned

Now I have a Chieftec DX-01BD case that I bought used for $40.00 on ebay, Would you recommend cutting those out? As I don't know how You would attach grills there, As only the fans have holes in this case and the case is set up for the plastic fan mounts only. Unless someone is willing to drill the holes in the case for 80mm Grills. It's painted in Charcoal Black and now I need some fans (4-80mm Smart Fan 2 - 75.7cfm each), a Can of Rustoleum American Accent spray paint in Charcoal Black and maybe either 1000 grit or 1200 grit sandpaper. It's in Excellent Condition outside of some scratches on the Top and the Backside Motherboard (right side) Access panel otherwise. The Left side is perfect, lock and all, too bad It going to be cut out for a Window, Square with Round Corners, My First case mod this isn't as I have 3-120mm 108cfm Like New Fans and 6-Chrome Grills up (1 fan has a 3-4pin adapter, All are wired for 3-pin operation) for sale ($8.00 each, plus shipping, no tax though) on ebay.
Old 19th July, 2003, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom314
Now I have a Chieftec DX-01BD case that I bought used for $40.00 on ebay, Would you recommend cutting those out? As I don't know how You would attach grills there, As only the fans have holes in this case and the case is set up for the plastic fan mounts only. Unless someone is willing to drill the holes in the case for 80mm Grills. It's painted in Charcoal Black and now I need some fans (4-80mm Smart Fan 2 - 75.7cfm each), a Can of Rustoleum American Accent spray paint in Charcoal Black and maybe either 1000 grit or 1200 grit sandpaper. It's in Excellent Condition outside of some scratches on the Top and the Backside Motherboard (right side) Access panel otherwise. The Left side is perfect, lock and all, too bad It going to be cut out for a Window, Square with Round Corners, My First case mod this isn't as I have 3-120mm 108cfm Like New Fans and 6-Chrome Grills up (1 fan has a 3-4pin adapter, All are wired for 3-pin operation) for sale ($8.00 each, plus shipping, no tax though) on ebay.
Hmmm.. I always recommend cutting the "grills" out. However, if you have risk of children, or even yourself being clumsy and sticking your fingers in the fans then don't. You will always get better airflow with 0 restriction. Attaching the fans should be no problem as long as you have some aluminum left to either drill holes for nuts and bolts, or screws. If your not very mechanically inclined you might want to find a friend who is

It makes a much bigger difference on those who have the pre-drilled grills built into the aluminum casing, as oppossed to the cases with actual fan grills attached to the outside of the fan holes. In those cases you really don't have to drill/cut anything, as it doesn't help enough to warrant it.
AMD 2100+ XP::Week 48 (AIUHB)::191x11@2101Mhz//EPoX 8RDA+//Corsair PC3500XMS 256x2(512Mb)@386mhz::4-2-2-2(Cas)//MSI Geforce 4 Ti4200 128Mb *Stock*//60GB Maxtor UATA-133//19" CTX//Altec Lansing 2100//Volcano 9 HS--ThermalTake SmartFan II@4800rpms::77Cfm//Temps:: (34C)Idle (38C)Load
Old 19th July, 2003, 06:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neofate
Hmmm.. I always recommend cutting the "grills" out.

It makes a much bigger difference on those who have the pre-drilled grills built into the aluminum casing, as oppossed to the cases with actual fan grills attached to the outside of the fan holes. In those cases you really don't have to drill/cut anything, as it doesn't help enough to warrant it.
Aluminum? It's a Steel case, It was used as a Server($40.00 on ebay, A Black Chieftec DX-01BD). In the front I'm going to use My Favorite type of Air Filter, A 1/4" thick Abrasive Green Scouring Pad (It doesn't have a sponge), As the house has a Swamp cooler, is Semi-dusty, has Cat/Dog fur/hair in the house and It gets vacuummed once or twice each month. 30lbs. worth of case and so far only one thing is in It, A Drive Bay Reservoir (I plan on adding two more and piping them in series). I'm Semi-Inclined, But then a ruler, pencil and/or marker, nail(Punch), a hammer, nibbler, and an electic drill, do tend to help. And No kids at all, But fans like fingers (Mainly mine).... I just happen to be stuck with 3-120mm fans 108cfm (see ebay) each has grills & screws and no 80mm fans/grills to replace them with either(yet, I'm looking for 4-80mm Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 fans). That and I need some Rustoleum American Accents Charcoal Black spray paint and some 1200 grit sandpaper to repaint the Top, right side and two faceplates (CDRW and FDD). It has some scratches on the Top and right sides. The Left is ok though, A Large Lexan Window is going in the Left Door.
Old 19th July, 2003, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom314
Aluminum? It's a Steel case, It was used as a Server($40.00 on ebay, A Black Chieftec DX-01BD). In the front I'm going to use My Favorite type of Air Filter, A 1/4" thick Abrasive Green Scouring Pad (It doesn't have a sponge), As the house has a Swamp cooler, is Semi-dusty, has Cat/Dog fur/hair in the house and It gets vacuummed once or twice each month. 30lbs. worth of case and so far only one thing is in It, A Drive Bay Reservoir (I plan on adding two more and piping them in series). I'm Semi-Inclined, But then a ruler, pencil and/or marker, nail(Punch), a hammer, nibbler, and an electic drill, do tend to help. And No kids at all, But fans like fingers (Mainly mine).... I just happen to be stuck with 3-120mm fans 108cfm (see ebay) each has grills & screws and no 80mm fans/grills to replace them with either(yet, I'm looking for 4-80mm Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 fans). That and I need some Rustoleum American Accents Charcoal Black spray paint and some 1200 grit sandpaper to repaint the Top, right side and two faceplates (CDRW and FDD). It has some scratches on the Top and right sides. The Left is ok though, A Large Lexan Window is going in the Left Door.
Hmmm, Steel..

That will only make a cleaner cut, with less malleability to work with. Use the right tools and the same advice applies =)

As for the TTS2 Fans, I currently use 5 of them, let me find you a link:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/fan-47.html

14$ a pop.. They aren't cheap, but I like them. Just a good reference site, and maybe a possibility to buy.

Let me know whatcha do!
Old 19th July, 2003, 07:33 AM

TTS2 for $7.99!!! I think there is an unlimited shipping for $6.99 option too, but not sure on that http://www.bestbyte.net/Product.cfm?...yID=8&Keyword=
Best Byte Computers has the TTSF2 + cool mod (flashy lights) for $10.
Old 19th July, 2003, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkyOldSun
TTS2 for $7.99!!! I think there is an unlimited shipping for $6.99 option too, but not sure on that http://www.bestbyte.net/Product.cfm?...yID=8&Keyword=
Best Byte Computers has the TTSF2 + cool mod (flashy lights) for $10.
Yes that's fantastic and with only $2.00 for Shipping by 1st Class Mail. Or $33.96 for the 4 that I need, I have one on My volcano 9 of course and It's gone as high as 5443rpm and the Bios agrees with MBM too, So It can't be too bad a fan, Besides It's also UV Reactive too.
Old 23rd July, 2003, 09:25 PM

sorry

Heya sorry for bringing up an old topic again, I just didnt want to let all those nice advices go away with no thanks for y'all

But im a very impatient guy i guess, so i had this topic several places to keep me covered, and after i just tried to check out the heatsink i got the solution, silly me had been successful with misplacing it with 180 degrees. So i flipped it around and everything is really nice now =)
Old 23rd July, 2003, 10:22 PM

Well, I am glad it worked out for you!
Thanks for following up, as it may deliver to someone else witht the same problem, the answer they are seeking.