AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th August, 2003, 04:46 AM

Best Place To Buy?

Where is the best place to buy a motherboard and chip?
Old 6th August, 2003, 05:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

I buy all of my stuff from www.newegg.com.

Imho they have the best selection, prices, and service of all computer stores I have ever bought from. I know this sounds like a plug but it really isnt if you ask other newegg customers.

Imho I would pick up an Epox 8rda+ and a 2500+ Barton for a very reasonable price (around 170$ total) or pay more for an NF7-S from Abit.
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th August, 2003, 01:15 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Yea www.newegg.com. i only shop there.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th August, 2003, 03:07 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Can't argue that...
I do most of my shopping there too.
Old 6th August, 2003, 04:57 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If you must spend little for an AMD rig, and don't want/need/have to overclock it an ECS, aka Elitegroup K7S5A Pro is unbeatable. For $47(@newegg) incl shipping, what's not to like? They are reliable mainboards with the advantage of using DDR 2100 OR PC-133 SDRAM. The only caveat with this mobo is that it demands a high quality power supply.

EPoX 8RDA+ mainboards are very reasonably priced. However, if you don't want to overclock your machine, considering a different m'board isn't a bad idea.

Newegg has been solid gold for me. I don't know how other etailer's survive. Seriously. There are other trustworthy etailer's but beating Newegg can't be done. When Newegg becomes the only PC components etailer, will their high level of service degrade?
Old 6th August, 2003, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
If you must spend little for an AMD rig, and don't want/need/have to overclock it an ECS, aka Elitegroup K7S5A Pro is unbeatable. For $47(@newegg) incl shipping, what's not to like? They are reliable mainboards with the advantage of using DDR 2100 OR PC-133 SDRAM. The only caveat with this mobo is that it demands a high quality power supply.

EPoX 8RDA+ mainboards are very reasonably priced. However, if you don't want to overclock your machine, considering a different m'board isn't a bad idea.

Newegg has been solid gold for me. I don't know how other etailer's survive. Seriously. There are other trustworthy etailer's but beating Newegg can't be done. When Newegg becomes the only PC components etailer, will their high level of service degrade?

actually i have the amd ecs k7s5a version but i don't have pro... is this motherboard good? can i just get a new chip then?
Old 6th August, 2003, 05:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to funnyperson1

You could just get a new chip, your motherboard supports all but the 200fsb cpus. However with your current motherboard overclocking will be VERY limited. There is no voltage settings at all and fsb adjustments are few and far between. Imho I would get a new mobo if you plan to overclock.
2GB Crucial Ballistix 6400@ DDR2 1000 C5
Geforce 7900GS
2x160gig hdd with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu
member of FOLDING@HOME team 32
Latitude D620 with XP, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
Old 6th August, 2003, 05:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I try for the best price from a reputable dealer... That said I do at lest 1/2 and probably 3/4 of my deals with Newegg.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 6th August, 2003 at 05:57 PM.
Old 6th August, 2003, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microgers87
Where is the best place to buy a motherboard and chip?
I guess that depends on where you live?
Old 7th August, 2003, 09:05 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microgers87
actually i have the amd ecs k7s5a version but i don't have pro... is this motherboard good? can i just get a new chip then?
A cursory Google search doesn't reveal if the K7S5A Pro model is different than the non-Pro. My guess is that there is no real advantage to be had by replacing a K7S5A with a K7S5A Pro.

Perhaps the Pro version allows faster than DDR-2100 to be used and it will accept a faster XP than the non-Pro version?

The K7S5A may be the best budget mainboard ever created. But that's its only real claim to fame. I've had two of them and they've been trouble-free. Then again, I haven't tried to OC them. Some folks have a hard time of it with these m'boards.

If you can afford to spend more, I'd avoid a K7S5A Pro mainboard.
Old 8th August, 2003, 03:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Postaldave Send a message via AIM to Postaldave

lol i'd say newegg is the winner

a nice note is that newegg is located about mid california...... and even though i order stuff just basic ground ups .... it still gets here in a day maybe two

fyi...i live in socal

postal
Phaustus - 60 Troll Shaman
AOA Team fah
Old 8th August, 2003, 04:10 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The pro version is definitely not worth the upgrade. I believe it offers usb 2.0.... not much else. If you are looking to upgrade... first ask yourself why, honestly. If you want a good budget board, the k7s5a is still a good board. If you want more performance, there are a lot of choices... it really comes down to what you want to spend.

There are a lot of good boards to look at, at the under 80 range, 80 to 100, and over 100 range. What is in your budget, and what features do you want?
Old 8th August, 2003, 11:02 PM

Microgers87, I like Newegg also. One thing that I always do though before ordering from anywhere online is to copy and paste the name of the place here: http://www.resellerratings.com/ I've never seen Newegg below a 9 . I've been warned away from other places though , sometimes it is worth the extra couple of dollars to order from a place that has a good rating.
Bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Old 9th August, 2003, 05:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to Drisler Send a message via Yahoo to Drisler

Newegg & eXcaliburPC for me..

newegg has a much wider selection.
X800pVIVO > XT
Old 16th August, 2003, 04:53 AM

Yeah, I forgot to mention eXcaliber. They are really good also. I was not sure exactly which xp1700+ cpu I wanted and the person on the phone walked me through my options ( there were 3 at the time), They also let me ship to the place I work ( I informed my credit card co. first of course) which takes the worry out of wondering if the UPS guy sees the little sign on my front door to leave packages around the back (enclosed ) porch or just leave them on my front steps. They did some amazing shipping ahead of schedule, ordered Wednesday 8:00 pm , received Friday 3:00 pm. California to Pennsylvania via 3 day UPS express saver ( $4.00).=43 hours!! 29 hours early.
Bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Old 18th August, 2003, 09:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to Evc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz
Yea www.newegg.com. i only shop there.
http://fastlanehw.com/forums/images/...whathesaid.gif
CPU:Intel Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.1GHz / MoBo:Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 / RAM:2GB PC2-5300 / Graphics:BFG GeForce 780GT OC SLI / / Storage 1&2:Twin 250GB WD SATA2 16MB Cache / Storage 3:WD 160GB 7200RPM / Storage 4: WD 320GB SATA2 16MB Cache + 400GB and 250GB IDE in USB / DVD-Writer:Samsung SATA Lightscribe Multi-drive