AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th August, 2003, 03:00 AM

Angry 4pca3+ SATA RAID-1 support doesn't exist as claimed by Epox

Epox claim the Epox 4PCA3+ boards support RAID-1 on the Intel ICH5R SATA interfaces - but it doesn't - so beware!!.

Having recently acquired a 4PCA3+ board (Rev 1.2), I find that the Intel RAID BIOS only supports RAID-0. Have upgraded to the latest BIOS (dated 19 Aug) and upgraded the Intel ICH5 drivers to V3.5, but this makes no difference. Intel's website says 'see your mobo manufacturer', which doesn't help much...

Abit Asus, etc introduced the Intel ICH5R BIOS update that supports RAID-1 in late-July or early August, so can't see why Epox is taking so long - this thing is no use to me in this state - RAID-1 for my system drives is why I bought it in the first place.

Hate to think what will happen when I try Raid-5 on the HPT374 chip - guess that won't work either?
Old 26th August, 2003, 04:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

*POST EDIT*
Please read our forum rules AND the ANNOUNCEMENT at the start of the EPoX topic before posting in the EPoX topic again. There are restriction upon posting in the EPoX topic that don't apply to Our other Topics.
Thank you.

I've moved your post to where your References will not harm you":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th August, 2003, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
*POST EDIT*
Please read our forum rules AND the ANNOUNCEMENT at the start of the EPoX topic before posting in the EPoX topic again. There are restriction upon posting in the EPoX topic that don't apply to Our other Topics.
Thank you.

I've moved your post to where your References will not harm you":O}
Sorry Daniel, but I fail to see where I have transgressed on these rules, namely:
"Our EPoX techs are bound by Non-disclosure agreements...therefore cannot answer some questions...concerning the VIA and nVidia Chip sets, most frequently the question of dividers and PCI locks" - well didn't fail that one, never mentioned those issues.

"...as our EPoX techs cannot give answer to comparisons involving other board manufacture's products, mention of mother boards not made by EPoX is not permitted" - didn't fail there either - never mentioned anybody else's board - maybe other maker's BIOS distribution timings, but no board comparisons

"General, non specific disparaging of EPoX and it's products is not permitted" - nope, clean there too. Didn't disparage, and was entirely factual and specific.

So I will post again in the Epox forum if you don't mind
Old 26th August, 2003, 04:46 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

No, I wouldn't do that quite yet!

"Further, as our EPoX techs cannot give answer to comparisons involving other board manufacture's products, mention of mother boards not made by EPoX is not permitted. General, non specific disparaging of EPoX and it's products is not permitted"
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th August, 2003, 05:12 AM

Sorry Daniel, but I could have REALLY transgressed on these rules if I'd tried. We have acquired this board for a specific function which relies on its claimed features. These features do not work. That is false advertising. In this country we could hit the vendor for major damages under Trade Practices and Consumer laws. But I'm more interested in fixing the problem. 'How' is the question. My post was factual, specific and non-disparaging. If you or Epox think that someone stating the facts and drawing attention to deficiencies in a product relative to its advertised functions is 'disparaging' then I think you need a good dictionary.
Old 26th August, 2003, 07:10 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy
Sorry Daniel, but I could have REALLY transgressed on these rules if I'd tried. We have acquired this board for a specific function which relies on its claimed features. These features do not work. That is false advertising. In this country we could hit the vendor for major damages under Trade Practices and Consumer laws. But I'm more interested in fixing the problem. 'How' is the question. My post was factual, specific and non-disparaging. If you or Epox think that someone stating the facts and drawing attention to deficiencies in a product relative to its advertised functions is 'disparaging' then I think you need a good dictionary.
Yes, but that works only once then the post and offender are gone for good. Your only offense was the mention of other board makers in the EPoX topic...

Neither EPoX nor I make any attempt to silence legitimate complains. Indeed it is to help our readers that EPoX allows two of it's employees to maintain an EPoX presence in these forums... when their time permits.

I am a good dictionary. What is needed is for you to learn to read a bit more carefully.

"To contend from a lowly place with those in power brings about self incurred suffering"

We have 8000 plus people here who have no problem understanding and following our rules. It is my hope you will wish to remain one of them.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 26th August, 2003, 07:48 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy
But I'm more interested in fixing the problem. 'How' is the question. My post was factual, specific and non-disparaging.
Fergy,

There's no problem with the legitimite complaint. However, if you want to talk about other manufacturers, use a generic term, not specific manufacturers.

So, instead of

"Abit Asus, etc introduced the Intel ICH5R BIOS update"

Write

"Other manufacturers introduced the Intel ICH5R BIOS update"

That's all that's needed. Otherwise we get 101 people, who for whatever reason feel that another manufacturer did a better job for them, even if the person in question has never actually used an EPoX board!