AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th August, 2003, 01:53 PM

Building a machine !

Hi I'm new to the AOA, so first of all i'd like to say HELLO .. looks like a great community you guys and gals got going here !

Now i'm a fairly ammature computer geezar, i can fit a HDD, Take a CD Rom drive, but have always kept to the software side ... Now im going to build my own machine to save on costs... I have afew questions

What is this mother board like ? - and are motherboards easy to fit into a case, fairly straight forward ? .. i presume they got instructions how to fit it in the manual ? - never looked into it before !

Epox 8RDA3G SKT A Nforce DDR400 8x AGP SATA ATX Dual Lan/Sound/firewire/USB 2.0 - £80

Will this motherboard already have BIOS on ? .. i've heard that some motherboards don't come with a BIOS on , or is that BS !

My bugjet is £100 on a mobo.. i could spend over like £50 extra. but its gotta be a pretty mental MOBO !

Next, hopeing that the CPU is ok with this MOBO !
I'm looking at a:

AMD ATHLON XP2700+ 333MHz FSB Boxed Inc Heatsink & Fan with 3year Warranty for £104 ...

Is this nice to overclock and use ... ?

Hope people can give me some advice, as this is my first ever machine i'm building !

Cheerz people
Matthew
UK, Cornwall
Old 26th August, 2003, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdoe
Hi I'm new to the AOA, so first of all i'd like to say HELLO .. looks like a great community you guys and gals got going here !

Now i'm a fairly ammature computer geezar, i can fit a HDD, Take a CD Rom drive, but have always kept to the software side ... Now im going to build my own machine to save on costs... I have afew questions

What is this mother board like ? - and are motherboards easy to fit into a case, fairly straight forward ? .. i presume they got instructions how to fit it in the manual ? - never looked into it before !

Epox 8RDA3G SKT A Nforce DDR400 8x AGP SATA ATX Dual Lan/Sound/firewire/USB 2.0 - £80

Will this motherboard already have BIOS on ? .. i've heard that some motherboards don't come with a BIOS on , or is that BS !

My bugjet is £100 on a mobo.. i could spend over like £50 extra. but its gotta be a pretty mental MOBO !

Next, hopeing that the CPU is ok with this MOBO !
I'm looking at a:

AMD ATHLON XP2700+ 333MHz FSB Boxed Inc Heatsink & Fan with 3year Warranty for £104 ...

Is this nice to overclock and use ... ?

Hope people can give me some advice, as this is my first ever machine i'm building !

Cheerz people
Matthew
UK, Cornwall
Epox 8RDA3G is a good choice.
All motherboards come with a BIOS program installed on BIOS chip.
Do a Google search for 'tutorial' and you'll find many tutorials on building a system.
Go slow, use common sense, double-check all mountings and connections, be certain that all cards are firmly seated and be careful about mounting heatsink on CPU.
Be careful with stand-offs in mounting board to case. Many first-time builders inadvertently short motherboard to case in this step.
Be certain that the memory you purchase is compatible with the board you choose - search forums for board-of-choice and memory compatability.
XP2700+ is fine, but I think an OEM processor with a good heatsink is very superior to boxed processor with stock heatsink.

Hope this helps!
Thermalright 900U
Antec 430 PS
WD800JB
ATI 9500 Pro
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th August, 2003, 02:13 PM

Hi Thanks for your reply ...
Out of these two which is best ? .. i think the 8K has Raid on it.

8RDA3G
vS
EP-8KRA2+

One other question i have... I didn't get what you ment when you said this...

Be careful with stand-offs in mounting board to case. Many first-time builders inadvertently short motherboard to case in this step.

! sorry if im acting thick ... hehe !

Cheerz
matt
Old 26th August, 2003, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdoe
Hi Thanks for your reply ...
Out of these two which is best ? .. i think the 8K has Raid on it.

8RDA3G
vS
EP-8KRA2+

One other question i have... I didn't get what you ment when you said this...

! sorry if im acting thick ... hehe !

Cheerz
matt
Nobody's 'thick'. It's better to ask these questions before your build.

Looking inside your case, you'll find a number of pre-drilled holes to accomodate stand-offs that elevate the motherboard. You'll also find a number of stand-offs supplied with case hardware.

Not all of those holes match the mating board-mounting holes on the motherboard. Just don't start screwing in stand-offs without being certain that they match corresponding mounting holes in the board. One extra stand-off is a big problem, since it may provide an improper grounding/shorting path.

You'll recognize the proper mounting holes on the board, since they will have a metal ring around the holes - which is intended to provide a proper board grounding point.

If that is confusing - just look inside your case and inspect board-mounting points.

Hope this helps!
Thermalright 900U
Antec 430 PS
WD800JB
ATI 9500 Pro
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th August, 2003, 02:56 PM
Member/Contributer

And READ the manual that comes with the mainboard FIRST!
I second the OEM CPU option as well.
When deciding which board you will get make sure you do TONS of research first. Read as many reviews as you can first,and also browse as many Overclocking forums as possible to find out more.

Oh, since you are buying from the UK, be careful if you purchase an Epox mainboard from Komplett.co.uk as you will not get UK support for it.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 26th August, 2003, 03:11 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

welcome to AOA mattdoe.

There's a couple of guides in the AOA faq as well which are very helpful. Check them out here

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/68-aoa-faq/

The two boards are very different. The 8rda3g is based on the NF2 chipset and as I understand it replaces the popular 8RDA+.

The 8KRA+ is based on the newer via600 chipset. There's not that much information on the go yet but if you go to the epox topic there's a couple of threads in there on that board. It looks promising and stable and has more features than the 8rda3g but doesnt seem to be quite as fast yet. The one omission it has from my point of view is that it lacks heatsink mounting holes.

Neither would be a bad choice though. Good luck
Old 26th August, 2003, 03:21 PM

WOAH - Thank you so much for the help guys !

I'm ordering my computer in parts,

In order
first Case
then Motherboard
then CPU
then Fan and cooling stuff !

And stuff like HDD, RAM, etc etc after that !

Will probably be out of date and slow by the time i built it lol !

I might be able to get the case and MOBO in 2 weeks now ! get it all fitted etc !

And i'll go for the CPU OEM version .. ! - what does OEM stand for by the way ? !

I will be purchaseing all my stuff from eBuyer as thats a cheap site i have come across.
Old 26th August, 2003, 03:38 PM

One other think i have to ask ... How often do Mobo and CPUs come to u through the post Faulty ! or is this never the case, ! as its going to take me about 2 months to build i don't want to find the MOBO is faulty and can't send it back or something ... Cheerz matt !
Old 26th August, 2003, 05:55 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Usually, OEM versus retail...
Retail comes in a nice box that looks pretty on a shelf, also has any wires, cables and accessories that are useful to the component... in this case the cheapo HSF. In some situations, the retail merchandise is of different quality... ie. faster video cards, or more overclockable. OEM is meant to be sold to pc manufacturers, and comes either in a plain brown box or no box at all. Also, few if any accessories or manuals. They save a few $$ on the packaging and such since it is of little importance to PC manufacturers.

AFAIK, for CPUs, there is no difference. It all comes down to stepping code.
Old 26th August, 2003, 06:20 PM
Member/Contributer

Good Mainboards and CPU's very rarely come faulty, or DOA, Dead On Arrival.
Ebuyer are great,nice and cheap and have fairly good RMA times, about 2-3 weeks for a trun-around.
You dont get much of a guarantee with OEM CPU's though, 1 year versus the 3 year AMD one. But you will probably be upgrading it at the end of the year anyway

I've had to return "Generic/Value" memory modules twice this year. Not from Ebuyer though! Top tip, spend a little more and get a named brand, Samsung or Twinmoss if you are on a budget, Corsair & OCZ etc if you have deep pockets.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 26th August, 2003, 06:39 PM

At the moment I'm now on the research of this RAID business ! as one of the MOBOs has Raid

Raid = EP-8KRA2+
Non Raid = 8RDA3G

So i might go for raid, have been looking at 2 x 120GIG HDDs !

512mg Ram or 1024Mg Ram if i can do that ! ...
Hopefully will have RedHat "running apache webserver" and Windows XP for work - multi os boot !

Also looking into clocking my current computer which is below, and networking the machines !

Amd Athlon Thunderbird 1.0Ghz (OEM)
Gigabyte GA-7ZMM KM133
Old 26th August, 2003, 06:59 PM

with the nf2 option you get dual lan. one for your internet one to share internet with the other. saves having to buy a switch. if you like living dangerously and have a need for speed or need to be safe from hard drive failure then raid is a nice option. i've driven both types and both are quality overclockers. the nf2 is quicker at the same fsb but the kt600 got me a higher overall fsb = 233
Old 26th August, 2003, 08:22 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hello mattdoe and welcome to AOA! Not to worry about lack of experence...We will raise you to our hand! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 27th August, 2003, 10:02 AM

hehe, thanks for the warm welcome ... what do you think of this tower !

As im going to get the tower first, before i get the mobo and cpu ... would this be an ideal tower to go for !

Antec Plusview 1000 4x5.25 5x3.5 ATX Tower Case with Side Window
http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0044356_...3_P0000000.jpg
Old 27th August, 2003, 10:06 AM

Oh that one is £58.39 inc VAT from ebuyer !

Also seen these two with bubble effects ! .. do they really look like bubbles? - there around £45 each !

http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0043004_...3_P0000000.jpg

http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0043005_...3_P0000000.jpg
Old 27th August, 2003, 11:22 AM

Just been told by my finance department "the parents lol" .. that they want me to buy it all at once so if something is faulty ! it can be sent back quickly ! So looks like im priceing togther a package and saving up, should only take 2 to 4 weeks ! !
Old 27th August, 2003, 11:26 AM

I've just thought of something , will all the cables for linking the floppy drive, hdd, cd drive.. and all the cables needed come with the motherboard ?
Old 27th August, 2003, 12:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

yes and no, most motherboard will supply you with 1 IDE cable and 1 Floppy cable, some supply with 2, the Epox 8RDA3+ i bought came with 2 round ide cables for example, which was nice.
AOA Team fah