AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st September, 2003, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
What you should be asking is how is it that most people DON't have a problem with this board and you do? Start from there and you may get some where.
Actually a lot of people are having problems, hence this thread. As well as many other people on differant forums around the place.

And as far as i can tell my post broke no rules whatsoever, all i posted about was that i had problems at stock just like the hundreds of others around the place. it would be nice to know which rule was broken so i wotn break it again.
Old 21st September, 2003, 08:50 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

As it turns out, I made a mistake, I thought I was reading in the EPOX thread, my apologies.

Yes a fair amount of people are. They use the wrong ram at the wrong settings, they use inferior PSU's, they don't take time to properly understand the RAM timings or voltage settings. Eliminate these and you get still get, at lest to my mind a SLIGHTLY higher problem rate than perhaps we should be seeing.

Toss in the NForce chip set and you get, again to my mind a better than average implementation of a chip set that brings the user a lot of advantages and a few new headaches.

Again to my mind, "I can overclock it all to hell, but can't run at stock speeds" has got to be the lamest complaint ever posted in and Overclocking forums, sorry but that's just the truth from my point of view.

Have you gone to the EPoX/NForce sites and checked for part compatibilities?

And no a lot of people aren't having problems, a few are. A few ALWAYS do. But I'll coincide a few more are than I would like to see.

Why be content to be one of them, seek solutions or don't buy boards that offer the user a challenge.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2003, 09:05 AM

Would it be possible the board not likeing the 12V connector?
Would the people who are running this stable@stock give us a bit more information on there setup and bios settings it would be great.

I might try unplugging my 12v connector and see what happens.
Dougt that would be the cause of my problems, but i guess it's worth a shot.

Only if i had some other parts i could use for testing.

Cant try to overclock untill i ditch the stock HSF for something a bit better. As i said when i up the vcore over 1.8 i get too higher temps and i am scared to let it prime for more than 5 mins.
Old 21st September, 2003, 09:16 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Cooling is indeed the first place I'd look. Once that's in line, you may find yourself in a happier place, at lest that's my hope for you.

There's a ton of stuff here on this board, read through it bit, most people with a problem do find a solution.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2003, 04:43 AM

Hey there phatball. I can't say that I have encountered that kind of problem. As you can see in this post, there are a few using GF4 4200Ti chip so that can't be your problem. I would suggest you go over your 8RDA3+ manual and double check everything (connections, jumpers and things like that). Then verify your BIOS settings especially in AGP voltage and frequency. You can also download that latest drivers of 8RDA3+ to be sure that your SATA is working properly. Of course it wouldn't hurt to reinstall windows after you do this that is, if you have time. Now if it still doesn't work, I would say that your Asus 9280TD is defective. Just bring it back to the store you bought it from and have them test it. I'm sure they'll change it if there's something wrong.

You could also bring it to them first and have it checked out before diving into your installation process and searching what you did different. Also please check your voltage read outs (please refer to posts in this thread).

Anyway, I decided to get a PATA for the time being and I guess that would be wise decision.

Please let us know how it goes phatball.

Hey there Retributioner. 60C is a bit hot (really hot for me ). Please read the signature of the "good people" at stable@stock for info on there BIOS settings. Personally, I just loaded Optimized Defaults and disabled all the things that I don't need and changed the boot order. It's really not a good idea to disconnect the 4-pin 12V connector 'coz you'll find yourself in "freeze world" or "hang world" . Yes maybe the board is undervolting the CPU somehow. I really don't know that for sure but if your going to disconnect the 4-pin 12V connector, it would for sure undervolt the CPU.

Many would agree that you do need a good Heatsink especially if your running it at 1.875V. Also, good ventillation in your case wouldn't hurt. Check out the signature and setup of the good guys in this forum running 8RDA3+s to help you better decide on what Heatsink to get.

Please post your info and benchmarks if your system is running stable with your new Heatsink. Good luck.
AIUHB0316MPH 27648
Thermaltake Volcano 12 (Arctic Silver Ceramique)
Vantec ICEBERQ CCB-A1C
Two Apacer 512MB PC3200
Maxtor 80GB UDMA 133 7200 rpm 2MB Buffer 6Y080L0
ViewSonic VE500
Enermax 365P-VE
Gainward GF4 4800SE 64M AGP8x
LiteOn 40x12x48x CDRW
ASUS CD-S520/A 52x
Creative Modem Blaster 56kPCI Internal DI5655
Chicony USB keyboard
A4tech MOP17 USB mouse
Old 22nd September, 2003, 04:58 AM

Knocked it back to 1.7vcore.
Just want it stable in windows playing MP3's or games at least.

Getting 42c idle at 1.7v.
Unplugging the 12v connector didnt seem to make any differance at all.

Really wish i had another PSU or Ram to try, i reckon its one of the two.
Either that or a heat problem with the NB and SB, they dont seem hot to touch though.
Old 22nd September, 2003, 07:38 AM

hello all!

configuration is as follows:
motherboard: epox 8rda3+
processor: athlon xp 2400+
heatsink: thermaltake volcano 11
vcore: 1.725v
memory: 256mb corsair platinum ddr 400
timings: 6-2-2-2.0
memory freq: 100%
fsb: 133
mult: 15
video: sparkle gf2 mx400 64mb
hard drive: seagate baracuda 40gb

so far this is where i'm at. had to increase vcore to attain stability. it's a lot more stable now although i still can't run prime95 for more than 10 minutes. i really hate that.. i wouldn't want to increase vcore even more since my cpu temps reach 60 at full load already. anyway, still trying to find a suitable bios setting.
Attached Thumbnails
8RDA3+ benchmarks - stable @ stock!-sandra-6-2-2-2.0-100  
Old 22nd September, 2003, 10:04 PM

Yeah, running really stable I am with my XP2500+ @ default clock, but I do get a pretty low score in 3DMark2001 compared to my old MSI KT3-Ultra2
Old 23rd September, 2003, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scissors
so far this is where i'm at. had to increase vcore to attain stability. it's a lot more stable now although i still can't run prime95 for more than 10 minutes. i really hate that.. i wouldn't want to increase vcore even more since my cpu temps reach 60 at full load already. anyway, still trying to find a suitable bios setting.
Yhea i have also found 1.725v to be the best so far, but as you say it still wont prime for more than 10mins.

Weird how you are getting those very high temps though.
Im on 37c idle and 44c load with stock cooling atm. Add 5c if i turn on heating.

I guess your in Summer whereeber you are?
Old 23rd September, 2003, 01:42 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Cooling is KING!
I run compleatly stable at 1.90 and 2.90, but to do this I use a first quality water cooling set up.
That's just the way it is.

I run 100% load 100% of the time (F@H)

My current temps are 25F ambeient and 41F CPU. Are these temps relieable? Of course not! LOL

But I set my auto shut down in the BIOS and therefore never worry about it! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd September, 2003, 04:45 AM

Hey there scissors! I really wouldn't worry too much if you can't run Prime95 stable. I know you would agree with me that as long as it doesn't lock up or resets in games, it's fine. Honestly, I'm kinda surprised at your temps (53C CPU, 40C SYS under USDM and 60Cload). I'm guessing your comp case side panel is closed and there isn't much air flow but still you have a good HSF. May I ask what Thermal Compound you used and the Power Supply you're using? It would also help if you could post current games you're playing and how long you can run it. Get back to us if you got time.

Hey there Retributioner. I'm really surprised that nothing happened when you disconnected the 4-pin 12V connector but I would suggest you use it 'coz the CPU does need the juice. With your temps "Im on 37c idle and 44c load with stock cooling" I guess you won't be needing the HSF. Me personally, I really recommend you get a good Heatsink and I know many would agree (maybe it's a personal preference thing). Please post the games you're playing so you can get feedback from those who might be playing the same game with 8RDA3+'s SYS. You can also check out my very first post on this great forum 8RDA3+ games problem (my nightmare). I think you'll find good advice there.

I will definitely agree with Daniel that "Cooling is KING!" (along with countless others out there). If you really think about it, reducing the amount of heat generated by your electronic components will extend their life. Good for those who are experienced in Water Cooling kits and Peltiers but for a humid country like mine I really can't take the chance (high humidity=condensation) although I really want to

Hey Darth Bender, I really wouln't worry about lower scores in 3DMark if that's the your case. I recommend you update your nForce drivers and run it again if you like. Personally, I use 3DMark to see any visible degradation in display quality of the Graphics Card and how hot the CPU temp is afterwards. So don't worry about that, as long as the games you're playing are running stable it's all good .
AIUHB0316MPH 27648
Vantec ICEBERQ CCB-A1C
Two Apacer 512MB PC3200
ViewSonic VE500
Enermax 365P-VE
LiteOn 40x12x48x CDRW
ASUS CD-S520/A 52x
Chicony USB keyboard
A4tech MOP17 USB mouse
Old 24th September, 2003, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech8
Hey there scissors! I really wouldn't worry too much if you can't run Prime95 stable. I know you would agree with me that as long as it doesn't lock up or resets in games, it's fine. Honestly, I'm kinda surprised at your temps (53C CPU, 40C SYS under USDM and 60Cload). I'm guessing your comp case side panel is closed and there isn't much air flow but still you have a good HSF. May I ask what Thermal Compound you used and the Power Supply you're using? It would also help if you could post current games you're playing and how long you can run it. Get back to us if you got time.
Hello tech8! i'm from the Philippines too... Yes, my side panel is closed but i have an 80mm intake fan at the side (located almost on top of the cpu fan) and two 80mm exhaust fans at the rear too. Thermal compound i used was the one that came with the heat sink. I can't find anybody selling arctic silver or similar here in Cebu. Power supply came with the case. I have been scouting for a power supply and found only HEC and Enermax sold here, which would be a better buy?

Only game i'm playing right now is Battle Realms, i'm not much of a game-guy though. Although I experienced a lock-up and an automatic reset last night. I wonder what could've caused that, I was able to play the game the other night for two hours.
Old 24th September, 2003, 11:31 AM

Hey there again scissors! I see you’re from Cebu. Can’t say I’ve been there so I really don’t know what Computer stores are there. For your question about the power supply, you should definitely go for Enermax (check out my signature). The 365model is good enough but if you have an extra $20, go for the 465model.

As for your temps, I really do think that 53C CPU, 40C SYS under USDM and 60Cload is kinda high. Actually, ever since my SYS became stable I took the next step that is modifying it. I got three Thermaltake 80mm adjustable fan (set on high), mounted it on the side panel as air intake with the other two as exhaust (pretty much like what you have now) and found that it really wasn’t a good design. POOR DESIGN=POOR PERFORMANCE. I’m working on my design right now and hope to implement it soon.

If your computer is a home computer, I would suggest opening the side panels (both sides) and directing a fan (electric fan will do, just don’t put it too close) at it then read your temps. That would give us an idea whether the closed computer case is the cause of your high temps or the lack of good thermal compound.

One purpose of playing 3D games is to see if your computer is running stable. I haven’t played Battle Realms but the restarts and automatic reset isn’t limited to this game. You can also check out my other post 8RDA3+ games problem about games. My problem was solved when I got the 2400+ TBred B (check my sig). I’m not saying that it may work for you but that’s what happened to me. I would suggest going through your setup and if you still encounter the same problems, just talk to the store where you got your sys and have them check it out. BTW if you’re thinking of getting a graphics card please don’t get a FX5200 chip ‘coz you’re gonna regret it.

Let us know if you got it stable GOOD LUCK
AIUHB0316MPH 27648
Vantec ICEBERQ CCB-A1C
Two Apacer 512MB PC3200
ViewSonic VE500
Enermax 365P-VE
LiteOn 40x12x48x CDRW
ASUS CD-S520/A 52x
Chicony USB keyboard
A4tech MOP17 USB mouse
Old 24th September, 2003, 05:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You guys in hot humid climates have it pretty rough with regards to O/Cing. Teck8 seems to have a handle on it though!

It might be worthwhile (If you've got the big bucks) to look into VapoChill or a Prometheus. super cooler.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 24th September, 2003, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech8
I will definitely agree with Daniel that "Cooling is KING!" (along with countless others out there). If you really think about it, reducing the amount of heat generated by your electronic components will extend their life. Good for those who are experienced in Water Cooling kits and Peltiers but for a humid country like mine I really can't take the chance (high humidity=condensation) although I really want to
yes.. not only it extends the life, but many overclockers use that method to overclock higher. Cooling/Temperature determines the overclock. Plays majority of the rule, with the voltage being used for fine tuning.

The benefits of good cooling/ low temperature at different scenarios are:

- Keeps the CPU ultimately stable. The CPU isn't overclocked to the limit, but can be unstable if this was not cooled as good. Extra cooling it will ensure there is no failure in 24/7 use in Folding(or something equivalent or higher) for the CPU department. The extra cooling will prevent from failing. Even if there is/will be an extra voltage spikes/fluctuations along the way the CPU being cooled will have more than enough power to compensate. Cooling/Temperature can override the amount of voltage@ X voltage spikes levels for CPU to run at full stability.

- Overclock higher, that is if the user chooses to overclock higher.

- and of course.. CPU life extends, but I think we already know that.

Even if you have a lot of humidity, you can still apply a well-managed higher performance watercooling setup. A well-managed watercooling setup can give you some good overclocking performance.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 24th September, 2003 at 06:16 PM.
Old 24th September, 2003, 09:27 PM

Sigh*
My graphics are still extremely unstable, and i dont have a clue why.
A few minutes a how it hanged when i tried to use the tv out, and when i rebooted it the resolution was 640x480 in 8 color mode with extremely big bug patterns all over the monitor. I really wonder what to do.
Tech, what you you said regarding agp voltage in bios, how do i check it, and how do i know what value it should have?
And, just curious, whats the best OCing somebody succeded with here?
Old 25th September, 2003, 03:29 AM

hello tech8! i think it was the enermax 465 model i saw here but it costs approximately 7k in pesos. 2k more expensive compared to the 425W hec..

i already tried opening the side panels and used an electric fan, it didn't help much. upon running prime95 my cpu temp reached 58C, compared to 60C when my computer case is closed.

by the way, are you located somewhere in luzon? what computer store could you recommend? i sometimes get to travel (company's expense) and might be lucky enough to be there..

thanks!
Old 25th September, 2003, 04:50 AM

You said it Daniel, humidity is really bad here. But on the other hand, water cooling systems aren't really popular with people here. I saw a couple rigs that used the Thermaltake Aquarius sys and their temps weren't really that much lower than the air cooled ones. I think I saw a review of the Vapochill sys once and I can say it really rocks. Well, that is if humidity isn't a problem. Besides the cost of it compared to a good air cooling and good air flow in the case is really far off (but the temp difference would definately go to Vapochill with about -40C).

Hey there whatever! I agree to what you said "Even if you have a lot of humidity, you can still apply a well-managed higher performance watercooling setup. A well-managed watercooling setup can give you some good overclocking performance" and I am looking forward to setup my own water cooling setup. I've been going around here looking for water blocks or even kits but only a few are selling them. I've only seen Thermaltake Aquarius and a locally made water block (no swiftek, not even koolance) but I'm really not in a hurry to get one 'coz I'm not a OC enthusiast so it's cool (at least not for now ).

Hey phatball! Try to check these values in your BIOS: (my setiings)
In Advanced Chipset Features
AGP Spread Spectrum = disabled
AGP Aperture Size = 64M
AGP Frequency = Auto
AGP 8x Support = enabled (also try disabled)
AGP Fast Write = disabled
System Bios Cacheable = disabled
Video RAM Cacheable = disabled
In Power BIOS Features
AGP Voltage Regulator = 1.5V

If you want to further understand all of the BIOS settings in 8RDA3+ you could check out this site http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?24.255 If tweaking your BIOS doesn't do the job, please read my suggestion in my last post about your sys.

Let us know if you got the culprit that's causing you're prob. Good Luck!

Hey there scissors! I would definately go for enermax mainly because of the low noise level. I know what others reading this forum are thinking, what about Zalman ZM400A-APF or PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 475 and other good ones out there? Well it's simple, you can't get it here unless you order it online.

Now that you ran your sys with an electric fan and open side panel and still got the same temps, that rules out the air flow in the case. That leaves the thermal compound application or Heatsink not firmly seated and maybe other minor weird reasons. I would suggest checking out that arctic silver site http://www.arcticsilver.com and reading the application instructions just in case you decide to get it. I know Arctic Silver Ceramique is already available but I still got a Arctic Silver 3. I'll get one as soon as this one's empty.

I'm actually in Manila and if you got time to go around the next time you're here, I would recommend Virra Mall at Greenhills Shopping Center (where else? ). If you know what you're gonna get and quite familiar with PC components, go to PC Express, PC Options, PC Gilmore and a whole lot of others in one street corner at Gilmore St. corner Aurora Boulevard. For any brands or Mods that they don't carry, you can find it at XtrmeModz 2nd flr unit A-11 Kamagong Lane, Virra Mall. It's probably the only store carrying Mods and they got the coolest Transparent Cases and also carry Zalman and Thermalright Heatsinks which are really good air cooling kits. BTW, Enermax 365Model is about P2700 and the 465Model is I think P3900, both are twin fans. Check it out when you have time. A piece of advice, if you're in Virra MAll (no matter what your sex is) it's always good to have extra pocket money 'coz I guarantee you that you'll end up buying something. That goes for those who want to visit the Philippines too (Hey I'm not working at the Department of Tourism if you guys are wondering ).

Happy shopping!
AIUHB0316MPH 27648
Vantec ICEBERQ CCB-A1C
Two Apacer 512MB PC3200
ViewSonic VE500
Enermax 365P-VE
LiteOn 40x12x48x CDRW
ASUS CD-S520/A 52x
Chicony USB keyboard
A4tech MOP17 USB mouse

Last edited by tech8; 25th September, 2003 at 05:17 AM.
Old 25th September, 2003, 05:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatball
Sigh*
My graphics are still extremely unstable, and i dont have a clue why.
A few minutes a how it hanged when i tried to use the tv out, and when i rebooted it the resolution was 640x480 in 8 color mode with extremely big bug patterns all over the monitor. I really wonder what to do.
Tech, what you you said regarding agp voltage in bios, how do i check it, and how do i know what value it should have?
And, just curious, whats the best OCing somebody succeded with here?
Sorry I don't have time to re-read every thing...But are you sure your cards a good one? Can you test it in another box?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 25th September, 2003, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Sorry I don't have time to re-read every thing...But are you sure your cards a good one? Can you test it in another box?
Well im in Australia and summer is nearing, so looks like im in for some trouble with my stock cooler.

An update on my board, i can play games for hours without lockups but still cant run prime95 without lockups. So im not too worried, just as long as games are ok.

Anyway a bit offtopic, but what cooler would you guys recommend. I cant really afford any watercooling anything.

Thinking about an Aero 7+ by coolermaster?

Currently got the stock cooler as i mentioned in an earlier post.
I also have 2 intake Vantec UV Neon fans and 2 exhaust. Plus the two fans on my powersupply, which adjust depending on heat etc.

I also use AS3, anyone know if it's better to store that in the fridge come summer time? Still got heaps of it left, naturally considering it can do 15+ cpu's.