AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th September, 2003, 03:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to =JFF=Newbie_1

Question Just a dumb newbie

I've got an AMD 1800 and a MSI mother board, wonder a couple of things about settings. I've always been interested in the whole overclocking thing, butt I don't have big brass balls to try it. I was hoping that someone could offer some conservative setting to try, keeping in mind I have a standard fan heatsink combo on my processor and ram without a heat shield or heatsink. (Don't want to fry anything, Kinda broke lately).

Thanx,
=JFF=Newbie_1
Old 16th September, 2003, 04:13 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, =JFF=Newbie_1!

It's best to install a better heatsink/fan combo on your processor and beef up your case's cooling by installing case fans that move more air through your PC before trying to overclock your machine.

A prudent overclocker takes care of the extra heat that will be generated by OCing the CPU before stomping on the accelerator. Speeding up the CPU before adding extra cooling leads to tales of woe, again and again.

Your post mentioned that you aren't rolling in the bucks at the moment.I OC'd a PIIIE without taking care of the extra cooling beforehand. Tsk! ~400 spontaneous reboots later, I finally realized that I'd over-toasted the processor. It's less expensive to add better cooling first.

Last edited by cloasters; 16th September, 2003 at 04:23 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th September, 2003, 04:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

hehe trust me, you DO have a heatsink, thats the big bit on metal on the CPU

ok do you know what sort of temps your getting at the moment?
If you dont know how you can either look in the bios under the 'PC health' menu of you can install 'PC Alert 3' that comes with the motherboard CD or download it from MSI's site. There are other windows temp monitor programs availible like motherboard monitor 5, but these sometimes require setting up and can be difficult for beginers. PC Alert 3 is so simple and easy to use its a good place to start.
Also what voltage is your CPU running at? this will allow us to know which generation of CPU you have. The XP1800 comes in 3 varieties, either .18 or Palomino or .13 T'bred A or .13 T'bred B, with .13 B being the newest and fastest.

The overclocks the different cores are capable are:

1750mhz - 2000mhz for .18 Palomino
1900mhz - 2100mhz for .13 T'bred A
2000mhz - 2500mhz for .13 T'bred B

These estimates baised on averages and guestimates, you can get more, you can get less depending on cooling, voltages and the nutter in controll of the chip

When did you buy the CPU? the more recently the better.

Also what MSI motherboard have you got?

Your XP1800 CPU runs at 11.5 multi * 133.3 FSB = 1533mhz

First thing to try is changing the FSB setting in the bios from 133 upwards. start with about 2mhz at a time and then run benchmarks on your pc to test for stability.

Try for say 140FSB which will increase the memory to 140mhz and the CPU to 1610mhz.

see how the bus speed increase gives a higher CPU speed?

you can also unlock the multiplyer on the CPU but this usually involves modifying the CPU itself. this means you can do things like run a 10 multiplyer and say a 200fsb for 2000mhz. The extra FSB speed increases the performance.

give it a try, just keep an eye on the temps and use them as a guide, 60c you need to start looking at more cooling, but remember the temps it reads arn't allways accurate, they can be up to 15c off either way (not usualy that bad but they have been in the past).
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th September, 2003, 02:07 AM

Some benchmarks that people use the most are:
1. SuperPI http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3...rogs.html#YKPI
2. Prime95
http://www.mysuperpc.com/computer_as...ure_test.shtml
3. 3dmark2001se(second edition)
http://www.mysuperpc.com/computer_as...enchmark.shtml
I would run the superpi 1M test first, P95 second (10 minutes minimum), 3dmark full test at default settings. BETWEEN EVERY INCREASE OF THE FSB.
Post back if you encounter freezes/lockups or successes.
Bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Old 17th September, 2003, 02:43 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm pretty sure we have these files on AOA Files; If not could you please upload them for us timbob2469 ?

Many thanks in advance! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 17th September, 2003, 03:17 AM

Knew I had a heatsink fan combo on my processor, just don't have that fancy ram with the heatsink on it. I've been running at 136fsb for about 2 months now and wasn't sure how far I should take it.

proc temp=46c
sys temp=37c
Motherboard =MS-6593
with 1 Micron 512 stick
proc 1.503v
to be honest I'm not sure which 1800+ I have
Bought proc 2 months ago, along with motherboard. I know I didn't buy the latest and greatest motherboard, but had good experiences with MSI and couldn't afford what I wanted so I had to buy the more outdated model.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul99
hehe trust me, you DO have a heatsink, thats the big bit on metal on the CPU

ok do you know what sort of temps your getting at the moment?
If you dont know how you can either look in the bios under the 'PC health' menu of you can install 'PC Alert 3' that comes with the motherboard CD or download it from MSI's site. There are other windows temp monitor programs availible like motherboard monitor 5, but these sometimes require setting up and can be difficult for beginers. PC Alert 3 is so simple and easy to use its a good place to start.
Also what voltage is your CPU running at? this will allow us to know which generation of CPU you have. The XP1800 comes in 3 varieties, either .18 or Palomino or .13 T'bred A or .13 T'bred B, with .13 B being the newest and fastest.

The overclocks the different cores are capable are:

1750mhz - 2000mhz for .18 Palomino
1900mhz - 2100mhz for .13 T'bred A
2000mhz - 2500mhz for .13 T'bred B

These estimates baised on averages and guestimates, you can get more, you can get less depending on cooling, voltages and the nutter in controll of the chip

When did you buy the CPU? the more recently the better.

Also what MSI motherboard have you got?

Your XP1800 CPU runs at 11.5 multi * 133.3 FSB = 1533mhz

First thing to try is changing the FSB setting in the bios from 133 upwards. start with about 2mhz at a time and then run benchmarks on your pc to test for stability.

Try for say 140FSB which will increase the memory to 140mhz and the CPU to 1610mhz.

see how the bus speed increase gives a higher CPU speed?

you can also unlock the multiplyer on the CPU but this usually involves modifying the CPU itself. this means you can do things like run a 10 multiplyer and say a 200fsb for 2000mhz. The extra FSB speed increases the performance.

give it a try, just keep an eye on the temps and use them as a guide, 60c you need to start looking at more cooling, but remember the temps it reads arn't allways accurate, they can be up to 15c off either way (not usualy that bad but they have been in the past).

Last edited by =JFF=Newbie_1; 17th September, 2003 at 03:23 AM.
Old 17th September, 2003, 03:22 AM

Thank you for your advice and I will definately go out and buy some for cooling products, before I make any further changes. Sounds like it will save me frustration and dollars.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Welcome to AOA Forums, =JFF=Newbie_1!

It's best to install a better heatsink/fan combo on your processor and beef up your case's cooling by installing case fans that move more air through your PC before trying to overclock your machine.

A prudent overclocker takes care of the extra heat that will be generated by OCing the CPU before stomping on the accelerator. Speeding up the CPU before adding extra cooling leads to tales of woe, again and again.

Your post mentioned that you aren't rolling in the bucks at the moment.I OC'd a PIIIE without taking care of the extra cooling beforehand. Tsk! ~400 spontaneous reboots later, I finally realized that I'd over-toasted the processor. It's less expensive to add better cooling first.
Old 17th September, 2003, 01:55 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

There is a lot of hit and miss when it comes to overclocking. Given your CPU voltage, I'd say you have either a TbredA or B. That's a good thing... Since your voltage is so low, your stock HSF should be adequate. One key to better overclocks is higher voltage. The downside is the additional heat. As a result, I would recommend you avoid increasing your voltage much. Maybe +0.1v would be ok. However, keeping a constant eye on your temps, and checking for stability at every step would be a good idea. Even with your HSF, I think you have some potential. Regarding your crucial memory, they are tolerant to added voltage, even without heatspreaders. I'd bump voltage a tad,0.1 or 0.2v for added stability.

There are many variables besides heat. Your PSU could also limit your overclock. However, for $0 cost, the best thing you can do take it one step at a time, check for stability and keep going. Take it nice and slow, and make sure your temps don't shoot up and fry something.

If I am right and you have a Tbred, your CPU is unlocked.... Take advantage of it.

Before you start, back up important data, keep all install programs near by, and accept that you may blow your partition and have to reintall the OS... If you can't accept that, STOP HERE.

Next take a spreadsheet and map out speeds for the CPU....

11.5 x 133 = 1533.
11.5 x 136 = 1564
11.5 x 140 = 1610
12.0 x 133 = 1600
12.0 x 136 = 1633
12.5 x 133 = 1666
12.5 x 136 = 1700
12.5 x 140 = 1750 .....

Then, one step at a time, give it a shot... BTW, know where your clear cmos jumper is, just in case it won't boot. ONce you find the temp too high or stability being sacrificed, take it down a notch. If you have a via based board, you probably don't want to take it too far from stock (133 or 166). With nforce boards, that isn't a problem, and you can push the memory as far as it can go. (crucials tend to overclock well... especially pc2100)

The process is time consuming.... but worth it in the end. Have fun, and be careful.
Old 17th September, 2003, 01:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

Unless that voltage reading is way off you'll have a XP1800 .13 T'bred B, the best kind for overclocking.
go ahead and raise it up to 140, it should run fine.
if you get any problems you might want to raise the CPU voltage to 1.6v, a mild increase that will help with stability and not increase your temps very much at all. for referance 1.8v should be considered max for air cooling, any more and you'll have to deal with allot of heat and your chip will slowly degrade in overclocking performance over the course of a few months.
AOA Team fah
Old 19th September, 2003, 01:58 AM

Thanx

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.
Old 19th September, 2003, 02:37 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

But... if you REALLY wanna stress that CPU and check for stability you should download and run F@H and join our team!!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 21st September, 2003, 03:59 PM

tried it

got 2 more case fans to help keep things cool and put heatsinks on every IC chip that looked important :-) lol Kicked up the FSB 2 at a time to 146 then got a little nervous cause Proc temp said 52c so stoped at that. What kind of cooling for proc do u guys/gals recommend? (Keeping in mind that I have a wife and 2 kids that I still want to afford to feed!)

Thanx,
=JFF=Newbie_1

BTW Rob what is F@H

Last edited by =JFF=Newbie_1; 21st September, 2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 21st September, 2003, 04:25 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by =JFF=Newbie_1
Thanx,
=JFF=Newbie_1

BTW Rob what is F@H
I never thought you'd ask. Read Here and Here

Enjoy!!!
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 21st September, 2003, 04:58 PM

voltage

Increase the voltage on my CPU or my ram or both? Do I raise the V even if it is stable at 146 FSB, wasn't going to generate any more heat untill I purchase a more efficient cooling system for the proc. What do u think?
Thanx,
=JFF=Newbie_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
There is a lot of hit and miss when it comes to overclocking. Given your CPU voltage, I'd say you have either a TbredA or B. That's a good thing... Since your voltage is so low, your stock HSF should be adequate. One key to better overclocks is higher voltage. The downside is the additional heat. As a result, I would recommend you avoid increasing your voltage much. Maybe +0.1v would be ok. However, keeping a constant eye on your temps, and checking for stability at every step would be a good idea. Even with your HSF, I think you have some potential. Regarding your crucial memory, they are tolerant to added voltage, even without heatspreaders. I'd bump voltage a tad,0.1 or 0.2v for added stability.

There are many variables besides heat. Your PSU could also limit your overclock. However, for $0 cost, the best thing you can do take it one step at a time, check for stability and keep going. Take it nice and slow, and make sure your temps don't shoot up and fry something.

If I am right and you have a Tbred, your CPU is unlocked.... Take advantage of it.

Before you start, back up important data, keep all install programs near by, and accept that you may blow your partition and have to reintall the OS... If you can't accept that, STOP HERE.

Next take a spreadsheet and map out speeds for the CPU....

11.5 x 133 = 1533.
11.5 x 136 = 1564
11.5 x 140 = 1610
12.0 x 133 = 1600
12.0 x 136 = 1633
12.5 x 133 = 1666
12.5 x 136 = 1700
12.5 x 140 = 1750 .....

Then, one step at a time, give it a shot... BTW, know where your clear cmos jumper is, just in case it won't boot. ONce you find the temp too high or stability being sacrificed, take it down a notch. If you have a via based board, you probably don't want to take it too far from stock (133 or 166). With nforce boards, that isn't a problem, and you can push the memory as far as it can go. (crucials tend to overclock well... especially pc2100)

The process is time consuming.... but worth it in the end. Have fun, and be careful.
Old 21st September, 2003, 05:27 PM

Thumbs up F@h

Got it, and it is working now. See no heat increase at all. Thought it may increase the temp some, so I was worried, seems fine though.
Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
I never thought you'd ask. Read Here and Here

Enjoy!!!
Rob
Old 21st September, 2003, 07:06 PM
AOA Staff

Did you put in TEAM45?!?!? What name are you folding under!??!
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 21st September, 2003, 07:24 PM

Talking F@h

=JFF=Newbie_1 is name I used and yes team 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Did you put in TEAM45?!?!? What name are you folding under!??!
Rob