AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th October, 2003, 09:30 PM

whats wrong with it.??

hi guys im new here so be nice to me..

i have just recovered from a major melt down due to trying the L2 trick as shown in this months pc extreme, im not thick and i did do every thing correct,
anyway in short the proccesor blew up,so i now have a new one (xp1900) the problem is i cant get it to run at the correct speed i can only get 1200mhz out of it,for some reason it will not even startup if i select the correct FSB of 266mhz the only way i can get it to run is in default(200mhz)

the motherboard is a soltek sl 75drv4
ive set the jumpers as follows
core voltage 1.75,
frequency ratio 12.x
FSB clock 200mhz(default)..should be 266mhz

is it possible that the motherboard has also suffered as a result.???
btw i can even adjust the mhz in the bios as i normally do because it also wont start if i do it that way round.
Old 16th October, 2003, 09:42 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Without knowing any more, a damaged mobo is a possibility. Aside from the CPU, is everything else the same? Damaged memory and/or PSU are also remote possibilities. If you have another machine, or one you could borrow to test with... playing musical chairs with components would be the easiest (although time consuming) way to find the culprit.
Old 16th October, 2003, 10:35 PM

the CPU is the only thing thats new, it seems funny how it will only work with the FSB set to default, i think i must have damaged the mobo...
but it works fine as it is just a little slower than the 1900xp CPU ive just payed out for.

btw has anyone else tryed the same mod i did in this months pc extreme magazine.???????
Old 17th October, 2003, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBX
the CPU is the only thing thats new, it seems funny how it will only work with the FSB set to default, i think i must have damaged the mobo...
but it works fine as it is just a little slower than the 1900xp CPU ive just payed out for.

btw has anyone else tryed the same mod i did in this months pc extreme magazine.???????
Generally messing with the bridges = slightly more risky than id go for - im in similar situation, coming up to my first "bought for overclocking" type parts. The wire loop round 2 pins solution (http://www.a1-electronics.net/AMD_Se...lk_Feb03.shtml) seems a much safer and straightforward way to do it. But as I said am newish also so someone feel free to correct me
Advantage of this method also is much easier to remove if you still dont get it right and need to RMA your chip Have a scout around as its slightly different pins depending on the core/chip (I certainly remember the t/bird pins being in a different place at least)

Last edited by MercutioUK; 17th October, 2003 at 01:17 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!