AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th November, 2003, 09:47 PM

Athlon XP 2500+ Barton and A7N8X DX

just today i received my Athlon XP 2500+ Barton and A7N8X DX mobo. i chose the 2500 because i had heard it is good for overclocking.

now i am a total newbie to overclocking and i dont want to fry my new processor so i just wanted to get some opinions before i did anything.

i have seen several people posting on various message boards that they have gotten their 2500 to run rock solid at 3000 and i guess that woudl kind of be my goal.

has anyone done this with this specific cpu/mobo combo? if so can you tell me what settigns you used for it or how you did it?

oh and i also ordered one of these for cooling: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...82E16835106033

any advice woudl be appreciated
Old 12th November, 2003, 10:08 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I welcome to the forums.

I wish you would have asked us first before ordering a cooler, there are many out there better than that.

Yes the Barton 2500+ is and excelent overclocker. Unforunately lately people have been getting locked processors. This doesn't mean that you can't overclock, you can. But you won't be able to adjust the multiplier. You'll just have to check to see if it is locked.

A 2500+ CPU runs at 166MHz FSB x 11multiplier = 1.833GHz.

You overclock by adjusting your FSB and you multiplier. If you multipier is locked then you can only adjust your FSB.

Fortunately you choose an excelent MoBo for overclocking. I also hope that you bought quality RAM, as that is what will hold you back.

Try upping your FSB a little at a time and run some stablity test and watch your temps. If your system becomes unstable try adding a little voltage at a time. You should be able to easily hit 200MHz FSB x 11multi = 2.2GHz, which I belive is the default speed of a 3200+. Onlyit will be faster than a stock 3200+ due to the increased memory bandwith.

Do some more reading and check the guides and FAQs and feel free to ask any questions.

BTW
What type of RAM do you have?

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2003, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
I welcome to the forums.

I wish you would have asked us first before ordering a cooler, there are many out there better than that.

Yes the Barton 2500+ is and excelent overclocker. Unforunately lately people have been getting locked processors. This doesn't mean that you can't overclock, you can. But you won't be able to adjust the multiplier. You'll just have to check to see if it is locked.

A 2500+ CPU runs at 166MHz FSB x 11multiplier = 1.833GHz.

You overclock by adjusting your FSB and you multiplier. If you multipier is locked then you can only adjust your FSB.

Fortunately you choose an excelent MoBo for overclocking. I also hope that you bought quality RAM, as that is what will hold you back.

Try upping your FSB a little at a time and run some stablity test and watch your temps. If your system becomes unstable try adding a little voltage at a time. You should be able to easily hit 200MHz FSB x 11multi = 2.2GHz, which I belive is the default speed of a 3200+. Onlyit will be faster than a stock 3200+ due to the increased memory bandwith.

Do some more reading and check the guides and FAQs and feel free to ask any questions.

BTW
What type of RAM do you have?

hey thanks for the quick informative reply... thats too bad that i coudl have gotten a better cooler for the same $$... i liked what i read about this one on newegg because it is supposed to be good coolign and really quiet...

and for memory i got one stick of thsi ram: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...82E16820145428

is that good for what i want to do?
Old 12th November, 2003, 10:31 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdee1
and for memory i got one stick of thsi ram: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...82E16820145428

is that good for what i want to do?
That is excelent RAM. Corsair XMS is the arguibly the best. And that is rated at 200MHz FSB with very tight memory timings. When you start to overclock make sure that the RAM is set to run syncronously with the FSB. That setting is in the BIOS.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2003, 10:33 PM

Quote:
That is excelent RAM. Corsair XMS is the arguibly the best. And that is rated at 200MHz FSB with very tight memory timings. When you start to overclock make sure that the RAM is set to run syncronously with the FSB. That setting is in the BIOS.

great!! thanks for the info - i will start assembling everything tonight and then comes the tweakign
Old 14th November, 2003, 02:20 AM

ok well i got my stuff all put together (almost) i mounted the board, processor, ram and HD. my case (click here to see it) has front USB2.0 and firewire ports.

the ends of the firewire cables coming from the front of the case are labeled as follows:
VCC
GND
TPA1-
TPA1+
TPB1-
TPB1+

but the place on the board where they are supposed to go are labeled as follows:
Ground
Ground
TPA2+
TPA2-
TPB2+
TPB2-
Ground
+12V

how is that supposed to work... why are there 3 ground plugs?

thanks!
Old 14th November, 2003, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Its not that Corsair make the best Ram its just that they get the best chips. If you can find some Twinmos Winbond BH5 or BH6 chips then they are the exact same as what Corsair use but at a cheaper price. I know that http://www.komplett.co.uk sell them if you can get them to pick out the ones you want.
2GB Corsair Dominator
2 x 500GB Hitachi
Creative LAbs X-FI
Logitech Z-5500
Antec P182 Special Edition
Old 15th November, 2003, 09:36 AM

Lightbulb A7N8X Dx Me too , I'm new to this too

SORRY LEARNING HOW TO REPLY, I'M RUNNING NEW SAME ALSO DX BOUGHT LAST TUES. 3000+ 400MHz AND GETTING 2305MHz WITH LITTLE EFFORT, HAVE MUSHKIN PC3500 LEVEL II DUAL CHANNEL. HERE'S SOME OF MY ADV CHIPSET SETTING, CPU EXT FRQ AT 200, CPU MULTIPLYR AT MENU, CPU FREQ X @ 11.5, SYS PERF @ AGRESSV, CPU OPTIMAL INTR FC, MEM FREQ @100%, RESUL, 200 MHz, MEM TIMMING @ AGRESSV, SDRAM ACTV DELY @6, RAS TO CAS @ 2, RAS PERCHG DLY @ 2, CAS LAT @2, KEEP SPECTRUMS DISABILED CPU VCORE 1.725 AND VOLTAGE AT 2.7 TWEEK THEM DOWN TO DEFAULTS AND COME UP A STEP AT A TIME I HAVE ROOM TO GO HERE AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET THIS ALMOST UP TO 2600+MHz OR BETTER!!. THATS BETTER THAN THE 64 CHIP.. @ 2420MHz, BUT LIKE THEY SAID IN OTHER REPLYS, ALOT DEPENDS ON YOUR MEM ETC.
tHERE IS A GUY IN TX WHO SAYS HE CAN GET 3000 OR 3200 OUT OF A 2500, BUT DONT KNOW HOW!! MYSELF. gOOD LUCK,

PS I'M 54 AND KNEW NOTHING OF COMPUTERS OTHER THAN A LITTLE BIT A YEAR AGO. LAST MONTH DECIDED TO BUILD ONE MYSELF. LOVE THE CHALANGE. EVEN OLD DOGS CAN LEARN NEW TRICKS

STEPHANO WISGLDAD @ srobertpi@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdee1
just today i received my Athlon XP 2500+ Barton and A7N8X DX mobo. i chose the 2500 because i had heard it is good for overclocking.

now i am a total newbie to overclocking and i dont want to fry my new processor so i just wanted to get some opinions before i did anything.

i have seen several people posting on various message boards that they have gotten their 2500 to run rock solid at 3000 and i guess that woudl kind of be my goal.

has anyone done this with this specific cpu/mobo combo? if so can you tell me what settigns you used for it or how you did it?

oh and i also ordered one of these for cooling: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...82E16835106033

any advice woudl be appreciated
Old 24th November, 2003, 02:41 PM

Congratulations on learning new tricks. Every time you learn something new you live a day longer (Chinese Phylosophy).
Faster not always better. Have seen reports of best performance reached by running ram in sync with cpu speed. MY similar settup bench marks best with timings of 2,2,3,12. ???