AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd January, 2004, 04:25 PM

RAID 0 setup questions 8K5A2+

I purchased a couple WD 120gb HD's and set them up in a RAID 0 setup. The drives are 120GB, 7200rpm, 8mb buffer, ATA100

Initially I setup the drives in a RAID 0 configuration in the BIOS/boot sequence the formatted the single drive as NTFS in windows. I was reading on that if the windows driver didn't match the bios version performance would suffer. Since my mobo is getting older there isn't much current information about bios/drivers/new HD's so I decided to try a different setup.

I currently have both drives set as masters on separate RAID channels and let the RAID bios identify both individual drives as single units. From within windows I setup a Stripped dynamic disk selecting both new drives.

Are the below results OK with HDtach ver.270 results...
Attached Thumbnails
RAID 0 setup questions 8K5A2+-hdtach.jpg  

DFI Lanparty S939 NF3 Ultra-D | AMD X2 4200 @ 2.6GHz | 1gb OCZ pc3200 rev2 TCC5 | ATI X800XT Platinum Edition| 2x120G WD | Plextor 712a | Antec SLK3700AMB| 520w OCZ PowerStream | Zalman 7000Cu

My Heatware 100% Positive
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th January, 2004, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJGH
I purchased a couple WD 120gb HD's and set them up in a RAID 0 setup. The drives are 120GB, 7200rpm, 8mb buffer, ATA100

Initially I setup the drives in a RAID 0 configuration in the BIOS/boot sequence the formatted the single drive as NTFS in windows. I was reading on that if the windows driver didn't match the bios version performance would suffer. Since my mobo is getting older there isn't much current information about bios/drivers/new HD's so I decided to try a different setup.

I currently have both drives set as masters on separate RAID channels and let the RAID bios identify both individual drives as single units. From within windows I setup a Stripped dynamic disk selecting both new drives.

Are the below results OK with HDtach ver.270 results...
I couldnt comment on the bios-driver pairing but striping as your doing at the moment is purely in software.

The highpoint raid on the 8k5a2+ (I have the same board, jus with the extra pair of ports) is basically an ATA controller - all the raid functions are done in the raid chips bios. If you by-pass the striping etc in the bios then they are acting as 2 seperate drives and windows has to work out the splitting of the data (hence your CPU usage).

I only ever ran the basic driver that came with the board. Performance wasnt stellar but it WAS an improvement on seperate drives. Just grab the latest version of the bios and driver and use those
Old 5th January, 2004, 02:48 AM

I actually went back to bios version 2815 and things are going well. I went to a RAID 0 setup in the bios so as not to loose data if I reformat my single drive which has windows installed on it.

The above HDTach results was from my 30g IBM drive. Below is the raid setup...
Attached Thumbnails
RAID 0 setup questions 8K5A2+-hdtach-2x120g.jpg  

DFI Lanparty S939 NF3 Ultra-D | AMD X2 4200 @ 2.6GHz | 1gb OCZ pc3200 rev2 TCC5 | ATI X800XT Platinum Edition| 2x120G WD | Plextor 712a | Antec SLK3700AMB| 520w OCZ PowerStream | Zalman 7000Cu

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th January, 2004, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJGH
I actually went back to bios version 2815 and things are going well. I went to a RAID 0 setup in the bios so as not to loose data if I reformat my single drive which has windows installed on it.

The above HDTach results was from my 30g IBM drive. Below is the raid setup...
MUCH better
Old 9th January, 2004, 06:06 AM

its alot better but most hit 140 at top so your still alittle behind
Old 9th January, 2004, 11:36 PM

140? with similar hardware?

Old 10th January, 2004, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2candyman
its alot better but most hit 140 at top so your still alittle behind
Without Raptors candyman?