AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th January, 2004, 03:36 AM

How high? (3200+ oc question)

hi all. i just recently ordered a bunch of parts to a computer im building. im going to be using air cooling and i was wondering approximently how high i can oc this bad boy, without any risks of lockups/death. im very new to overclocking, but have been reading up on it. my new computer comes in tomarrow, the specs are - amd 3200+ barton, asus a7n8x mobo (the newer one supporting 400 fsb), 80 gig wd 8mb cache hd, radeon 9800pro, 512 kreton ddr 400 ram and a raidmax 868 case w/ 420 watt psu. i also ordered a thermaltake volcano 7+ cpu fan and some arctic silver 3 ( 5 was out of stock). thanks in advance for any help given! (please keep in mind i dont want to put any risk of it hurting my hardware because im only a student and have been saving for ages to purchase a computer better than my curret (amd 1300+ 256 ddr 2100 10 gig hd geforce 2 mx 400 )
Old 12th January, 2004, 03:49 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovac
wondering approximently how high i can oc this bad boy, ithout any risks of lockups/death.
The short answer is:

As fast as it will go

The long answer is: it depends.

It depends on how well you are able to cool the system, what your ambient room temp is, what your tolerance for risk is , how stable the PSU output is, and how good the RAM is.

I've got a 3200+ running on an ABIT NF7-S Rev 2. I'm relatively new to overclocking myself, but I've gotten 200x12.5 at 2v V-Core rock solid with my rig and watercooling using 200 FSB. I haven't messed with cranking up the FSB yet, because my first goal is to determine how far I can push the CPU. I've actually had my CPU up to 13.5 at 2.2v V-Core, but I don't know how stable the system could have been. My water line blew a leak and sprayed water everywhere, so the system had to be shut down and dried out. I've got it running now, but something happened to blow my RAID configuration, and I haven't been able to remember the correct settings to get it back up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th January, 2004, 03:55 AM

ack, sounds like a mess! well im not willing to go too far, just enough to boost my FPS in my gaming madness. like i said its air coold with a volcano 7+, but i really dont know my restrictions. anyone else?
Old 12th January, 2004, 03:58 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Your cooling is ok, so you should be good for a bit of an overclock. Keep in mind you are buying the fastest CPU available from the fab. You should be able to get 200-300mhz without too much problem. You will most likely have to bump the voltage a bit. Also, if you are unlucky you may get a locked CPU, and may be limited by other components on how high you can go.

EDIT: with the v7+, I do not recommend going over 1.85v.. How good is the memory you are getting?
Old 12th January, 2004, 04:29 AM

unfortunatly i couldnt afford any of the top brands of ram, so i went with price. its called Kreton, and i know it cant overclock that well, but its default performance is good (from what ive read). and 200-300 mhz increase is fine, ill probably get a few more fps with that. now i just have to learn how to actually overclock.... expect lots of questions in the future . thanks for the quick responces btw guys
Old 12th January, 2004, 04:48 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovac
amd 3200+ barton, asus a7n8x mobo (the newer one supporting 400 fsb), 80 gig wd 8mb cache hd, radeon 9800pro, 512 kreton ddr 400 ram

have been saving for ages to purchase a computer better than my curret (amd 1300+ 256 ddr 2100 10 gig hd geforce 2 mx 400 )
Dude. You are going to see such an improvement in gaming it is going to be insane. I was amased when I went from a GF2mx 400 to a Radeon 8500. Imagine going from a GF2mx400 to a Radeon 9800pro. Plus add to that the upgrade on all the other components as well. You will never again have to say "Yeah but I get really good frame rates in Half Life"

As for OCing, start off slow and take small steps. And watch your temps. I belive as long as it's stable it's ok. Try to keep temps under 50@ idle and 60 @ full load.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th January, 2004, 04:56 AM

lol staz, of course ill see a GREAT improvement from my P.O.S comp to this new one. i was saying to get a slight fps improvement on my new system BY overclocking it . anyways, thanks for the cheerful responce , and could anyone tell me a way to view my cpu load/idle temperatures?? i have no clue how to do that or what program i could see it with. thanks
Old 12th January, 2004, 05:04 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Your MoBo will/should come with a program to monitor such things as voltages and CPU/system board temps and probibly fan speed.

Also you can use a program such as motherboard monitor. I think you can find it in the files section. Also in the files section you will find programs to test your memory to see if it can handle the FSB at your timmings. And also you will find programs to stress your CPU and test for stability.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 12th January, 2004, 04:44 PM

Well impressed with the board

Student bidget so so my system is a basic upgrade of old system.

New XP, A7N8x Deluxe 2.0/bios 1007, New Crucial DDR 3200 Ram 2 x 256,case (only 350w), sony 522452 CDRW - the rest is recycled -> Athlon XP 2000, GF4 Ti 4200, Seagate 7200 60 GB, Liteon 16x DVD, 56k modem, cheapo cooling system.

Because I am mainly using it for work at the mo, i dont have the case fans plugged in(noise) (modded the case before setup severly for additional fans - front and back) - only plugged in when gaming.

Air cooled > Not overclocked severely (only from 1.6 to 1.8) - got my dissertation saved and not taking any chances until i have finished it (by which time like for like replacement of componenets should be dirt cheap)

Am getting idle temps below 50 when case fans plugged - but like i said not really wanting to push it until the summer.

I will be bookmarking this though for feedback when i get some cash in the summer.