AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 14th February, 2004, 05:53 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I'd like to build one up and send it off to Overclockers and have them bench it to see how it fairs against the others on the market, but I have no idea who to talk to.

joecitarella@sprintmail.com

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th February, 2004, 06:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Hmmm.........I sent him an e-mail several weeks ago and never got a response. Maybe I'll try again...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th February, 2004, 07:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

So what are we chopped liver? ":O}

SurlyJoe, as has been pointed out has a bit of experience with on die cooling. You might drop him a line.
surlyjoe@aoaforums.com

Great work gizmo!!

BTW, your back up in lights! ":O}
http://www.aoaforums.com/
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 14th February, 2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old 14th February, 2004, 07:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to purplemohawkman Send a message via Yahoo to purplemohawkman

or you could make more and sell them
-160gig WD sata, 80gig WD SE, 60g maxtor,
-x800pro w/ Graph-O-Matic Rev2 H20 block
-logitec z5300 5.1
-Chieftec Matrix full tower w/ Antec True430
Old 15th February, 2004, 01:34 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

purplemohawkman - Heh. The thought had crossed my mind. Question is, just how many people out there are insane enough to buy one? And mounting it is not exactly for the timid.

Daniel ~ - COOL!
Old 15th February, 2004, 01:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to purplemohawkman Send a message via Yahoo to purplemohawkman

sell them on a order by order basis, and im willing to bet theres some people that would want it if it was available, hmmm thought of a nifty idea on the same line as direct die cooling, what if it was done to a peltier???? have a cold plate, pelt and direct water cooling on the pelt!
-160gig WD sata, 80gig WD SE, 60g maxtor,
-x800pro w/ Graph-O-Matic Rev2 H20 block
-logitec z5300 5.1
-Chieftec Matrix full tower w/ Antec True430
Old 15th February, 2004, 03:57 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

You could do that with a pelt, but I don't think it would be worth while. Pelts have a much larger surface area to dissipate heat, and their energy density is much lower. Simple water cooling is more than sufficient for them, I would think.
Old 16th February, 2004, 01:09 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well, I'm gonna write up a review of my AN-7 and give it to Robbie to see if it is worthy of being published, but my initial glowing reaction to this board has been dimmed by two things:

1) Abit have apparently decided that they are the only ones who are going to write any overclocking utilities or monitoring utilities for future boards. They won't release the specs on how to talk to the uGuru circuitry to so that the MBM5 author can make it work properly. This, coupled with the fact that the utilities that Abit ships with the board for this purpose STINK, makes overclocking a bit difficult.

2) The bios appears to have a few issues to work out. It remains to be seen how frequently they will be posting fixes.

In short, although the AN-7 has some nice features, serious overclockers should stay with the NF7-S for now, IMHO.
Old 16th February, 2004, 01:44 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

As we exist to inform our readers rather than make life easier for those who make the products we all use; All we ask is that those who make submissions,is that they "tell it like it is".... you don't seem to have to much trouble doing that! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 16th February, 2004, 02:14 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
As we exist to inform our readers rather than make life easier for those who make the products we all use; All we ask is that those who make submissions,is that they "tell it like it is".... you don't seem to have to much trouble doing that! LOL
Agreed,

This is probably ONE of the main reasons hardware manufactures don't send us there products to review them. If I think it sucks I'm going to say so!!!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 1st March, 2004, 04:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well, I managed to kill my AN-7 while experimenting with a new nozzle configuration that actually seems to work even better than what I had. However, the death of my AN-7 was NOT related to the cooling experiment.

Seems I went into the BIOS, just for the heck of it, and set my Trcd to 1, and then rebooted, only the machine never rebooted. This wasn't entirely unexpected, so I simply cycled power (after counting to twenty slowly to make SURE that it wasn't going to come back up). The board STILL didn't come back up. I eventually pulled out and disconnected EVERYTHING except the CPU, and the board still won't do anything.

As luck would have it, my repaired NF7-S arrived Friday from Abit, so I slammed that back in, brought the system up to a DOS prompt and pulled the bios chip from the AN-7 and swapped with the bios chip in the NF7, and then used AwdFlash to dump the contents. The entire flash has been cleared, as far as I can tell. So, I've got another mobo to send to Abit for repair.
Old 1st March, 2004, 04:32 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

If this keeps up we'er going to have to buy a junk yard Dog to keep the riff-raff out...wait we ARE the riff Raff!!

Sorry your still overclocking under a dark cloud.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 5th March, 2004, 06:14 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well, my dark cloud seems to be lifting.

I flashed my AN7 chip in my NF7 mobo using the awdflash /f option, and my AN7 is back up and running again. Unfortunately, my 'repaired' NF7 doesn't want to boot anything but a floppy, dunno why. It also complains that the CPU has been changed every time I power it up. Gonna have to send it back to Abit again, I guess. (sigh)

Well, at least now I can finish my AN7 review.

And get back to overclocking. I've got a pair of 2500+M chips that I want to play with also with my new water cooling rig.

I think I may break down and get a Danger Den RBX and a slk800+ for comparison to verify if I'm really doing as good as I think I am. I'll have to turn them back around and resell them when I'm done, of course. As long as I don't lose too much on them when I resell them, it should be a good investment for comparison purposes. I know whatever thinks I'm a complete loon for going to all this trouble, especially for what he is able to get with air. It'd be nice to have some side-by-side benchies with the exact same hardware, so that I can make a qualitative evaluation of whether it has been worth the trouble or not.

Unless Abit wake up and smell the coffee on the AN-7, I'll probably end up selling it, too, and going back to my NF7-S (once it actually works again). They need to AT LEAST get their AbitEq OC utility working in a reliable fashion, as well as the overclocking code in ĀµGuru.
Old 14th March, 2004, 09:36 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

My AN-7 bit the dust today. Dunno for sure what happened, but I was working along on it, just getting ready to shut down and attach the new water block when all of a sudden it started smoking and I started smelling burning Bake-Lite. Then it just died. Some traces over by the Vcore regulator were burned off the board. I'm still mystified by what happened, since I wasn't even pushing the board at the time; it was running bog standard settings.

Anyway, I'm back up and running on my NF7-S. Saturday was a REALLY crappy day (for other reasons). I'm hoping Sunday will be a bit better. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to get my new WB hooked up.
Old 19th March, 2004, 04:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Got the new WB hooked up, but now my SCSI controller is dead.

ARRRRGH!

Well, at least I have an IDE drive I can boot off of and play with the WB until I get my SCSI controller RMA'd. I also found a second SCSI controller on E-bay for cheap that I bought, so I'll have it for a spare.

TANJ but TANSTAAFL, either.
Old 19th March, 2004, 08:48 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Bad break Gizmo! At least you can RMA it. What's "for Cheap" in controllers theses days by the way?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 19th March, 2004, 09:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

This particular one I was able to score for $75 with 128 Meg cache and battery backup unit. I've seen them for as little as $50 with 32 meg and no battery.

Bear in mind that this is an Ultra-2 SCSI RAID controller, with a throughput of 80 Meg/Second on each channel, and the ones that I am referring to are 4 channel controllers.

The U160 controllers seem to be going for about $150, and the U320 controllers are going for about $300 used. If you buy new, you are easily looking at twice that and more.

Edit: There is little point in buying a U160 or U320 controller and drives if all you have is a 33 mhz 32-bit PCI bus IMHO, because a properly configured Ultra-2 controller will be able to swamp the PCI bus bandwidth.

Last edited by Gizmo; 19th March, 2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old 19th March, 2004, 09:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Still far away and in another country for me! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd March, 2004, 06:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Got my SK-97 ThermalRight HSF in today, and plugged it in just so I could do some comparisons.

First, the test equipment:
1 - GoldStar DM-311 DMM. Accurate to within +/- .5% of full-scale reading and calibrated for life. Just as a sanity check, I compared its reading against the precision 3.3v reference built into the Winbond 83627 chip. The reading was 3.37 volts on my 20v scale, which is within the required accuracy. Although this is a different scale for what I am using, I can't do any better because I don't have a precision reference that fits in my 2v scale. I have taken measurements at both 2v and 20v for comparison.

2 - RadioShack IR Thermometer part number 22-325. Calibration unknown, but seems to agree with other mercury thermometers +/- 1 degree C.

3 - CPUBurn4 - BURNK7.EXE used to generate full load conditions.

4 - 200 Mhz FSB, running Tras 11, Trcd 3, Trp 2, Tcas 2.0, CPU Interface Enabled. CPU multi is 11.5, giving me 2.3 Ghz.

Configuration: NF7-S ver 2.0 in the case previously documented. I've got two 90 mm 45 CFM fans on the hard drive side pulling air out, plus the exhaust fan on the PSU. The air intakes over the hard drives are blocked (I'm not running the SCSI array for this). I've got two 90 mm 45 CFM fans on the mobo side, plus one 120 mm 65 CFM fan. All are supplying air to the case. One 90 mm blows air right down across the switching FETs for the VCore regulator. The other 90 mm blows air directly at the HSF. The 120 mm is at the front, blowing air across the south bridge and PCI slots. I have a 90 mm 115 CFM Vantec Tornado on the HSF.

Here's what I've got with it.

Idle

CPU vcore - 1.824 as measured by 8rdavcore. 1.82 as measured by MBM5. 1.888 as measured with my DMM on the 2v scale, and 1.89 when measured on the 20v scale.

CPU Temp via Thermistor - 37 C as measured by both 8rdavcore and MBM5

CPU Temp via CPU Diode mod - 43 C as measured by MBM5

System temp - 20 C as measured by MBM5 and 8rdavcore

Ambient - 26 C as measured with IR Thermometer

Load

CPU vcore - 1.792 as measured by 8rdavcore. 1.79 as measured by MBM5. 1.874 as measured with my DMM on the 2v scale, and 1.87 when measured on the 20v scale.

CPU Temp via Thermistor - 47 C as measured by both 8rdavcore and MBM5

CPU Temp via CPU Diode mod - 51 C as measured by MBM5.

System temp - 22 C as measured by MBM5 and 8rdavcore.

Ambient - 26 C as measured with IR Thermometer

Safe to say, I've got this beat with my WB. And this thing is LOUD!
Old 23rd March, 2004, 10:36 AM

How easy are the water cooling systems to install. I would like to install one on a new computer that I am planning to build for the express purpose of overclocking. I have concerns about leakage because I heard that water and electronics are bad or something like that.