AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th January, 2004, 01:26 AM

Question overclocking athlon 2200

HI all, I am trying to overclock my cpu but am having mixed results. I have an Nforce 2 board which has the multiplier unlocked. Its running very comfortably at 2400 but I recon it could take 2600 easily as the temps are low. My FSB is at 133 and when I try to raise it the pc falls over and I have to clear cmos, the highest I can get it to is about 140 fsb. When I tried moving the voltage up slightly I got a blue screen of death. I think maybe it may be something to do with my memory its 1gig of pc2100, would I be better off getting 512 of PC3200 (cant afford a gig of that yet !!) Would that give me more scope to clock up my CPU and fsb. Any advice much appreciated
Old 29th January, 2004, 01:51 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Welcome to AOA, devilstroker.
Sounds like it. Why not kick up the multiplier some more?
Also, adding some voltage to the memory might get you a few more mhz on the FSB.
Old 29th January, 2004, 02:16 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

yes, its probably your memory.

why not just use the fsb:dram ratio option, and set it so you memory can handle the speed. i believe nforce boards can be set to a ratio of 2:1.
Old 29th January, 2004, 02:41 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

My cheap Corsair DDR3200 value ram wouldn't even do 204 FSB (wouldn't even post) until I bumped the VDimm to 2.7v. If I push it all the way to 2.9v, I can hit 224 FSB. You should be able to push your VDimm a little bit on your RAM and get something out of it. Otherwise, buy yourself some faster ram and run the 2:1 FSB ratio. (Don't do something like 4:3 or 5:4, as that will just wound your memory performance severely.)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th January, 2004, 02:47 PM

Talking

Thanks for all the advice guys ! Put the multiplier up again on its own - blue screen - edged the voltage up to 1.65 and it has booted up, hopefully it will remain stable. Hopefully it will as when it was overclocked at 2400 my temp was only 38 so it has the room to go more. Cant find the options to set the voltage of the ram can only find cpu and agp voltage - Another quick question will the extra voltage fry the cpu I know there is a risk but just how great is it. Apologies for the lack of knowledge but im learning and I just HAVE !!! to squeeze every last bit of performance out of it !!!!

Cheers Guys !
Old 29th January, 2004, 02:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

As long as you don't let your temps get over about 50C for the CPU, I really doubt that you are going to reduce the life span of the CPU significantly, but that is just my opinion. For myself, I set my limit at 60C, but I'm willing to take a little more risk than a lot of people.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th January, 2004, 04:54 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilstroker
.... Cant find the options to set the voltage of the ram can only find cpu and agp voltage - Another quick question will the extra voltage fry the cpu I know there is a risk but just how great is it. Apologies for the lack of knowledge but im learning and I just HAVE !!! to squeeze every last bit of performance out of it !!!!

Cheers Guys !
Welcome to the world of overclocking!!
Too much is never enough, and the temptation to mess with things... I mean tweak, NEVER goes away, LOL.

Give us some more information about your HW... as much as you can, and I'm sure we can give you more advice. Not knowing makes it tougher. BTW, NEVER, EVER trust temp readings. They are only good for relative measurements, ie.. 25c idle and 40c under load... To me means I see a big swing under load of 15c. I do not trust the 40c reading as the actual. or "Before my CPU was 40c, but I added a fan to the case and now it says 37c"... This means the extra fan helped.

The reason I have to spell this out is that so many people believe their temps, and get very upset when they find out the measurement isn't perfect, and claim the mobo is defective. Many mobos read low, or high, and some bios's actually compensate... so you always have to take the reading with a grain of salt. (My favorite is when someone says they updated to the latest bios and they are thrilled that their temps dropped a lot, giving them more headroom. Duh! 99 out of 100, it was a compensation, and nothing to do with actual temps dropping.)

Knowing your board may give us some clue as to how reliable the reading is. I have 2 boards that say the CPU is at 75c... but it doesn't bother me because I don't believe them.
Old 29th January, 2004, 07:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Welcome to the world of overclocking!!
BTW, NEVER, EVER trust temp readings. They are only good for relative measurements, ie.. 25c idle and 40c under load... To me means I see a big swing under load of 15c. I do not trust the 40c reading as the actual. or "Before my CPU was 40c, but I added a fan to the case and now it says 37c"... This means the extra fan helped.
Good points, SteveI. My NF7-S actually seems to be fairly accurate ('fairly' being within about 5 degrees C), but I've seen some other people indicating readings that were off by 10 degrees or more. That was one of the reasons that I suggested he not let his CPU get over about 50C.
Old 29th January, 2004, 08:44 PM
AOA Staff

If your CPU is running cool I am sure you can give it more than 1.65v. Some CPU's need more volts to run faster - it's down to luck of the draw.

My old XP2600 would do 11x200mhz at 1.6v, no problem. Where as my XP3000 wants 1.85.

CPU's only fry, as in burn up quickly, at very high temps of 100 oC or more. Maximum core temps are usually specified as 75 - 95 oC, depending on the chip. It is unlikely that the temp sensors will be accurate at these levels any how.

Just fit a very good aircooler and you should be ok up to 1.9v, for over 1.9v get water cooling.
Old 30th January, 2004, 01:20 AM

Talking

My specs are leadtek ultra 400 n force 2 board
pc2100 1gig - memory on turbo settings
athlon 2200 o/c to 2600
80gig hd
geforce 4ti4600 o/c 315 - 720
custom case - 4 fans good airflow
HUGE coolermaster fan - had problems before with an athlon overheating and cutting out.

i have the system running stable at 1.675 volts and a mutiplier of 16 to give me 2600 temps are 41 after a half hour of call of duty usually around 35 idle and my system temp usually sits at around 38, im not gonna touch the fsb yet as the memory is cheap pc world crap crashes every time i push it and I cant adjust the voltage of it in my bios gonna save some pennies and get some kingston stuff. Then push the fsb and try to get the processor up to 2800.

I heard that putting the voltage up on the agp can improve things as well - anyone any advice on that.

By the way guys your help and suggestions have been excellent if you lot are ever in Northern Ireland I would by you all pints !!

Cheers !
Old 30th January, 2004, 01:27 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Upping the AGP voltage will help increase your video card oc. Then again it could hurt it due to extra heat. It will do nothing for your CPU sinse the AGP bus is independent of the FSB on an nForce 2 mobo.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 30th January, 2004, 01:30 AM

Sorry I never made that too clear, I knew it was independant of the fsb, but seeing as I was happy with the cpu o/c (at the moment!!) Thought I might try and make another part of my PC explode !!!