AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th January, 2004, 03:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to warp1 Send a message via Yahoo to warp1

Benchmarking comparison

Now that I finally have my gaming box about where I want it, I have a quick (maybe) question.

Just wondering where a moderately overclocked Barton stacks up against the top (stock) intel or 64's. For example I'm running 200 FSB with a 12.5 multi, giving me 2.5 Ghz. This is much faster than the 3200+ chip (the standard for AMD prior to the 64fx), how would it hang with the new leaders, given the same componants. I can't really test myself cause I haven't upgraded to new video card yet, so my benchies wouldn't equal a 9800 or 5950.

Interested in any opinions or experience.

XP2500+ @ 12.5*200(2.5Ghz), 1.95V, 12 degrees C while folding, ABIT NF7S ver 2.0, custom chilled water cooling with DangerDen Maze3, 512M PC3200 OC System RAM 6-3-3-2, Thermaltake 420W power supply, ASUS GF4 ti4200 (290/499), windows2k SP4
AOA Team fah

- You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th January, 2004, 06:56 PM
Member/Contributer

Your 2.5 GHz Barton will do fine, it is indeed a very fast computer. I would stick with it if I were you. Especially if you consider what it would cost you to upgrade to say a 3 GHz P4 and OC it. It wouldn't be worth the money over what you have now, IMHO.
Old 29th January, 2004, 07:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Remember that AMD and Intel, although compatible at the binary level (they run the same software), have radically different internal architectures. Because of that, you can't make a valid comparison on a clock level basis. AMD tries to do quite a bit more work per clock cycle than Intel does. This means that AMD runs at a lower clock frequency than Intel does, even at the high end of the AMD cpus. Generally speaking, the AMD PR figure (such as 3200+) gives you a fair idea of how the AMD stacks up against a P4 with a clock speed that is equivalent to the AMD PR figure. However, it really depends on what you are trying to do, as AMD will outperform Intel on some tasks, and Intel will outperform AMD on other tasks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th January, 2004, 09:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to warp1 Send a message via Yahoo to warp1

Don't worry Allan, no intention on upgrading (2500 bartons gotta stick together, lol). I know the 3200+ Athalon ran very close to the Pentium 4 3+ gig. Since then, several versions of AMD 64 came out and Intel has its hyperthreading and EE versions.

I guess what I was wondering... How much advanced is the 64 or high end pentiums improved over the XP 3200+. I notice the 3200+ is still very expensive so would assume it's performance is close to those in its price range.

I know I should outperform a 3200+ due to the same FSB and greater CPU clock speed and also the same cache (512). Just curious how far off I would be from the current "leading edge" STOCK processors.

XP2500+ @ 12.5*200(2.5Ghz), 1.95V, 12 degrees C while folding, ABIT NF7S ver 2.0, custom chilled water cooling with DangerDen Maze3, 512M PC3200 OC System RAM 6-3-3-2, Thermaltake 420W power supply, ASUS GF4 ti4200 (290/499), windows2k SP4
AOA Team fah

- You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him.
Old 29th January, 2004, 10:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The benchies I've seen seem to indicate that the A64 3200+ is slightly better than the XP3200+. Given that most people who do benches will agree that the 3200+ rating for the XP was a bit.....generous.........to start with, this makes the A64 3200+ a more serious competitor to the P4.........on 32-bit software.......on a 32-bit OS. Once support for A64 really hits, expect to gain another 20% or so. As for EE and Hyperthreading........well, EE seems to gain you MAYBE 2-3%, unless you get something that will fit wholely in the EEs cache that won't fit in a normal P4s cache. Hyperthreading though, can really give the P4 an advantage (upwards of 20%) in multithreaded applications, or when you have several apps running concurrently. One of my machines at work has a dual cpu setup, and another one has a P4 2.8C. The dual cpu machine handles multiple tasks a bit better than the P4 machine, but the P4C is definitely better than a machine that doesn't have HT. Note, however, that I frequently run multiple apps at the same time.