AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th February, 2004, 11:25 PM

Why is my ddr3200 not running at that speed?

Hi, Wonder if anyone can help me with my upgraded pc.
This is my first ever attempt at pc upgrading, i have read lots of forums and i understand the basics about overclocking, but i cant find any topics for following problems.

I seem to be having memory troubles, here is the story so far.

I had: 2100+xp, 2x256 PC2700 mem, GeForce 4600Ti agp x4. asus a7s333 ( i think) mobo and all was set as stock.

I wanted to upgrade, so it seemed logical to get a mobo so i could future upgrade my grafix card as you now need agp x8 with the latest cards.

i have upgraded to: 3000+xp (200 fsb), 2x512 pc3200 kingston mem,GeForce 4600Ti agp x4, asus a7n8x-x mobo, thermalake 11 volcano hs.

i installed all my new bits without any troubles, but when entering windows the system would reboot, this happened at different times, but always withing 2 minutes of windows starting up. I double checked the bios to make sure the CPU wasnt running overclocked and overheating. This seemed fine, the pc was detecting 1 gig of ram so that was fine too.

However, when i changed the mem speed setting in the bios to 83% of FSB (at 200) (from auto) to make the ram work at 333 (2x166) things worked a treat. So i now know its the memory crashing the pc. if i set it to 100% it crashed like b4, just incase auto was overclocking it above 200 fsb (or 400).

so i started to play with the fsb to find out when the mem would crash windows, it seemed to just manage 195 fsb (set mem back to 100% not auto), but crashed during games (battlefield 1942). so i backed it down to 190 and it now seems stable. then i upped the multiplier to get the cpu back upto its rated speed (yes my 3000+ has an unlocked multiplier!!!!!!)

My question is, why doesnt my kingston pc3200 ddr400 ram work at its rated speed? its stable at 380 hz but not 400???? i have changed the mem round in the 3 dimm sockets too!. case temp it below 28 degrees C, mobo temp it around 21 and cpu temp is around 35-42. should i start playing with the mem voltage? i am unsure about this.

Next part of my question is this, If its hard luck and i have to run the mem at 380 hz then so be it, is it better to run it at 100% of fsb and run that at 190hz, and up the multiplier on the cpu to give me my rated 2.1gig speed, or is it better to run the mem at 83% of fsb but try and the fsb at 230hz (so the mem is still running at an effective 190hz) and lower my multiplier to give me 2.1 gig on the cpu? My mobo might not do this but if it did would it b better?

When i chose the mobo i overlooked the fact it doesnt support dual channel ram (DOH!), as i got 2x512 of ram, will this make it run much slower than a dual channel mobo, or is the difference minimal? i dont want to buy another mobo and loose another £55 just for a small increase.

I have now OC'ed my cpu running it at 11x190 to give me 3200+ speeds and it seems fine, even with the fan speed set to 3300 RPM. The PC seems much faster than b4, but i am only hitting 1750 in 3dmark03 (cpu scored 605) from 1540), is my grafix card the new bottle neck in the system? i thought this card was an ok one (owned it for 18 moths), or is it the fact its only agp x4? I will b upgrading it soon, when my next pay cheque goes into me bank, any recomendations???

I hope u may b able to help me, and i havent bored u with my essay above.
Old 26th February, 2004, 04:43 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Are you sure you have an A7S333? That mobo is only rated at a max fsb of 333 according to what I read on the web site. Anything above that and you are overclocking it. At that point, it doesn't matter that the RAM is rated for 400. Your mobo can't push that far.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th February, 2004, 10:28 AM
Member/Contributer

Mooron, I dont htink you will notice £55 worth of performance if you change your motherboard. A friend of mine has the A7N8X-X and its fast!

A couple of things you could try:
A newer BIOS may help with your memory ie enable it to run at its rated 200Mhz reliaby.
You could also try increasing the Vmem slightly.You should be safe to 2.9V.
You may also have a dud stick of memory. Try one at a time in different slots.

Your 3D Mark 2003 score is low because that benchmark is really meant for DX9 cards and your card is a DX8 card. Use 3Dmark 2001 to benchmark your system.

Hope some of this helps.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th February, 2004, 02:10 PM

Gizmo, the A7s33 was my old mobo.

My currnet bios is 1007 on my new mobo, the pc is detecting 1 gig or ram tho, i will try taken eac one out in turn to see if its one of them. can i send it back if its faulty?? got it from Dabs.com.

i think the bios mem voltages were 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8, but i might not have had it on custom. i will try this also.

Cheers guys.

So a dual channel board doesnt really make much a difference then, good, i havents wasted my money on this mobo. (feel abit happier now)
Old 26th February, 2004, 02:39 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

If you're concerned about memory, the best tester you can run is probably memtest86. It takes some time to run, but it's pretty thorough.

On an nForce2 platform, you really want to run the RAM in synch (100%) with the CPU. There's a big performance loss otherwise.

Dual channel is only a small increase in performance, if any. It's not worth buying a new mobo.
Old 26th February, 2004, 06:02 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

you might want to check he timings of the memory in the bios. you could have them set too tight.
Old 26th February, 2004, 07:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I'm sorry. You said that was your old mobo. I must've left my body unattended at the keyboard again.

If anyone sees my brain wandering around, would you tell it to come home? It's too small to be out by itself.
Old 27th February, 2004, 01:13 AM

lol at gizmo, sounds like me when i am at work.

Not sure what the timings should b?

I have now tried using one stick at a time and it seems to work at 200 fsb, but i need to try this over a much longer period, but it lasted longer than any other time. Put both back in, but in the only combo i didnts use last time (as dual chan on other mobos) and its seemed to work for a while, then rebooted again, so dropped fsb to 194 still running in sink and it seems to have lasted thru 2 hours of Battlefield 1942. very strange???

cheers aedan, got it at 1:1 which answered one of my questions in my original post. So upping the multiplier it is then, with a slightly lower fsb as stock.

will keep u posted on it all.
tar.