AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th March, 2004, 02:26 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

dont get the alx-800, i have had it before and it is really, really bad. i was getting idle temps of 45-50 with a 50CFM fan with a xp1800+ at stock speed and voltage.

i think the thermalright sk-7 would be the better buy.
Old 4th March, 2004, 08:11 PM
AOA Staff

Thanks for pointing that out. I had a look at some reviews in which it was rated quite highly. Is the SK-7 quite light?
Old 4th March, 2004, 11:14 PM

If it is, im buying it
Old 5th March, 2004, 02:07 AM
Member/Contributer

i cant say that its light, but its not heavy.

i would recommend buying a smart fan 2 to go with this heatsink, but just use the temperature probe that comes with the fan, and seat that next to the processor core. that should keep your noise level down.

but now that i think about it, the sf2 at full blast, 42dB, isnt that loud at all, just about the equivalent of a normal conversation.
Old 5th March, 2004, 03:11 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The Sk7 is a pretty heavy heatsink, but it uses all 3 lugs so it is pretty secure. I have 2 w/ SF2s, and they work great together. 1 runs in my kid's room, very quiet at 3k rpm, and the other is running almost full blast 4500rpm in my PC room. In the same room, I have an SLK900a also with SF2 @4500rpm, and noise is moderate, with excellent cooling. If you can find the sk7, let me know. I think they were discontinued.
Old 5th March, 2004, 03:27 AM
Member/Contributer

yes, they were discontinued. the next best thing would be a slk-800a.
or you could go for a volcano by thermaltake
Old 5th March, 2004, 10:56 PM

Im lost on all thoose coolers out there some say its good up to xp3200* and some say only for 3000*. dunno **** now
Old 6th March, 2004, 04:19 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

A lot of them say only up to 3000 because at the time the packaging was made the 3200 didn't exist. There is only about 5 watts max difference in power dissipation between the 3000 and the 3200 so anything rated for the 3000 ought to run the 3200, IMHO.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th March, 2004, 07:53 PM

Hi again i got it running at 185 fsb now 13*166 and stable for 24h in prime95. Temps are at 46 at load and 39 in idle with a slk 800. Now got a new question: Is my cpu unlocked ? Because in CBI it says Feb the 10 2003.

http://home.bredband.tiscali.se/~vet...images/CPU.JPG
Old 18th March, 2004, 08:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

That's the announce date, not the manufacture date. The only way I know of to get the date code of manufacture is to look at the stepping code on the cpu.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!