AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th February, 2004, 06:57 PM

Help a nOOb with first oc :)

Hi guys ! i want to try and oc my system for the first time. I have been reading alot about fsb,temp,multi e.t.c. so i know the basics.

My system is :
AMD Athlon XP3000+ Barton 2167MHz/2.16GHz 128/512Kb 333MHz 0.13 bulk SocketA
EPoX EP-8RDA3i nForce2 Ultra400
TwinMOS Original 256Mb DDR-DIMM PC3200/DDR400 184pin 400MHz CAS2.5. Running dual
Spire FalconRock II 25dBA
Zalman 80x80x25 38.6/20.6cfm 34.4/20dBA 3pin
Radeon 9800Pro 128Mb DDR

So please give me some nice starting tip how to do it

Thanks in advance
Old 27th February, 2004, 08:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ultimate guide to CPUs (cooling and overclocking)

I don't know if you have read it, but this gives a good 'getting started' how-to.

Happy overclocking!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th February, 2004, 06:52 PM

dont quite know how to get the fsb to work 1:1 with multipler ?
mine is 166*13. And i want it to work in 200, what shall the multipler be ?
Old 29th February, 2004, 01:57 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I'm not sure I follow?

CPU speed is determined by the combination of the FSB and the multiplier. If you are running 166*13, then your CPU is running 2.167 Ghz (rough and tough), which is the stock setting. If you want to increase your FSB to 200 but keep the CPU speed at 2.167, then you need to take your CPU speed and divide by your desired FSB.

2167/200=10.8, so you need to run a multi of 10.5.

BE WARNED! Some Nforce2 mobos have problems with the 10 and 10.5 multis.

I assume your goal is to first of all figure out what your max FSB is? Then what I would recommend is to set your multi to about 8, and start cranking up your FSB. This will guarantee that your CPU core freq doesn't limit your ability overclock your bus.

Also, don't worry about locking the AGP and PCI buses. The NForce2 chipset uses separate oscillators for those, so they remain the same regardless of FSB.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th February, 2004, 03:52 PM

Cant change the multi have tried 10,9,8,7. wont even boot up

Last edited by T-boz; 2nd March, 2004 at 06:40 PM.
Old 2nd March, 2004, 06:41 PM

And highest i can go with fsb is 179. Strange ?
Old 2nd March, 2004, 07:11 PM
AOA Staff

My CPU is the same as yours and I can get it up to 200fsb with the vcore at 1.85volts.

Is your CPU the unlocked multiplier version? AMD started locking the multiplier on these chips around week 39 of last year. When did you buy yours?

You must be running it at 13 x 179mhz which is 2327mhz. Try for 13 x 185mhz with more voltage to the core, but be warned you will need good cooling on your CPU for this.

If your multiplier is unlocked, lower it before trying to get the FSB up to 200mhz or more.

Last edited by danrok; 2nd March, 2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 2nd March, 2004, 08:32 PM

I bought mine about 3 weeks ago And if i try and change multi down it will not boot up, if i change it up it still boots up on 13*. 177 is the most i can get if i want it stable for prime95. Dont think i will try 1.85 volt before i have a better cooling. Only got stockfan now and 2 chassi fans. Allso: im running my mem at 2.0-3-3-7, is that ok ?
Old 2nd March, 2004, 08:50 PM
AOA Staff

Sounds like you have a locked chip there so you won't be able to adjust the multiplier. You memory timings look fine to me.

It's best to keep the memory and cpu bus 1:1 on your AMD system. It will work fine if you run the memory faster, but the system will be slower overall.

BTW, some overclockers in your part of the world duct the sub-zero air in from outside to cool their systems and get amazing results! Something to think about.
Old 2nd March, 2004, 10:48 PM

well i think i have to think about another cooling lol, my wife wouldent like me drilling some holes in the wall
Old 2nd March, 2004, 11:02 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

If you are running stock voltage, that is actually a pretty good OC already. 2.3 ghz with only 1.65v is good... With good cooling, you may have a shot at 2.5g.
Old 3rd March, 2004, 02:59 PM

U think so ? Cool Temp are at 57-59 now after running prime 6 hours.
Old 3rd March, 2004, 03:24 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-boz
U think so ? Cool Temp are at 57-59 now after running prime 6 hours.
Ouch... better cooling is an absolute must. Do a lot of research on the coolers available to you. If you get very good air cooling, you should be able to run voltage in the 1.85 to 1.9 with confidence. That should give you a lot more Mhz. Just keep in mind you will get to a point where there are diminishing returns... lots more v to get a little more mhz.
Old 3rd March, 2004, 07:33 PM
AOA Staff

When considering your cooling options start by looking at room temp and the positioning of your case. I suspect that you have some powerfull heating in your home at the moment and that may be contributing to the slighty high temp of your CPU. Ensure all your existing fans and grills are as dust free as possible.
Old 3rd March, 2004, 08:12 PM

chassi temp is 28c, room temp is 21c. No radiator ? close to the comp.
Old 3rd March, 2004, 08:54 PM
AOA Staff

Yep, radiator is the word!

It looks like all you need is a better cooler on your CPU, case temp is good.
Old 3rd March, 2004, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Yep, radiator is the word!

It looks like all you need is a better cooler on your CPU, case temp is good.
I agree - but my own experiences with the Falconrock II are extremely good. I currently run it with a 19dB Papst instead of the original fan, and it works quite ok. You might want to try a slightly more powerful fan on the heatsink as it is a really nice little piece of metal!

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd March, 2004, 10:37 PM

ok can u give me a good example on a nice cooler ? Not to heavy tho, dont wanna brake something
Old 3rd March, 2004, 11:20 PM

The best i can get so far :http://home.bredband.tiscali.se/~vet...Best%20MHz.JPG
Old 3rd March, 2004, 11:57 PM
AOA Staff

The best coolers are made from a lump of copper, so they are heavy.

If you really don't want heavy then the new Thermalright ALX800 could be worth a look, it's aluminium.