AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th March, 2004, 12:01 PM

OC'ing an older chip

I'm finally going to buy myself a new computer so while I wait for the parts I've decided to try my hand at over clocking my old rig. I am currently running an old 1.1ghz AMD T-Bird and was just wondering what are relatively safe parameters. That is, what's the most I should be able to get out of it before I need to run for the extinguisher? What are safe temperatures to run at? If you can help out this poor n00b it'd be greatly appreciated.
Old 5th March, 2004, 02:18 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

It depends on the stepping of your CPU. If it is an AXIA or better, it should do ok... maybe 1.4 or better.

Cooling is important.. I suggest under 50c to be safe, but it is important to know that mobos vary in terms of temp readings. What cooling are you using? Both increasing voltage AND increasing mhz will increase heat. A relatively safe and conservative way to overclock is to just up the FSB a bit at a time to see what you can get.

Is the CPU locked? what is the multiplier? I think a 1.1 is running 11 x 100, so upping your fsb a bit at a time might be the easiest method. If you have good memory, PC133 or PC2100, you can unlock the cpu (close all L1's) and raise the FSB while decreasing the multiplier.

Overclocking by it's nature is experimentation... Go slow, read up, and test and compare at every juncture.
Old 5th March, 2004, 03:23 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The AXIA Athlon I had (1Ghz) ran up to about 1.45GHz without a problem. It was exceeding 200MHz FSB, which is better than it's replacement, which struggles to do more than 175MHz in the same board!

This is on an 8RDA+ board BTW - The previous KT133 based board wouldn't survive above about 105MHz FSB.
Old 5th March, 2004, 04:27 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
.... The previous KT133 based board wouldn't survive above about 105MHz FSB.
Totally forgot about that.
What mobo are you using FlashCube???
If it is a KT133a or better, you should be fine... If not, you may have to up the multiplier instead of FSB to OC effectively.
Old 5th March, 2004, 04:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Postaldave Send a message via AIM to Postaldave

i had an asus kt133a board.... got a 1 gig overclock to easily overclock to 1.2 .... might've been able to get it farther

and you gotta unlock that puppy..... those things are easy as heck to unlock

postal
Phaustus - 60 Troll Shaman
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2004, 07:44 PM

I have a old athlon 1100, its been running at 1.87GHz for some months now without any probs. and on stock volt, dunno how tho
Old 5th March, 2004, 09:23 PM

I'm running an Abit KT7A-Raid with the Via Apollo chipset. Dunno if the CPU is locked......haven't a clue what that means......I do know it has the Soft Menu III bios that allows all sorts of stuff to be done.....

Cooling is done by a big Antec copper core heat synk with a 2 stage 6000rpm fan.
Old 6th March, 2004, 12:09 AM

Gave it a kick in the ass and got it up to 1.5ghz with no increase in temp under load.(constant 42c, 38c when idle) ^^,
Old 6th March, 2004, 06:15 PM

Sounds like an AXIA, my 1G did 1.5G also, needed 2-2.1v though. Nice clock and temps, they are room heaters -good to see you've tamed it

KT133a's were amazing, i had an IWill KK266-r which went upto 175MHz FSB, had to use an ISA sound card after 166MHz! Gotta love the olden days