AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th May, 2004, 11:30 PM
Member/Contributer

ROFL those two need to get into a ring and start overclocking against each other, and the winner gets to say to the other "You just got served!" battling the nerdy way.
Old 24th May, 2004, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
ROFL those two need to get into a ring and start overclocking against each other, and the winner gets to say to the other "You just got served!" battling the nerdy way.
I've already stopped arguing with that guy. I don't encourage others to get excited about this. let it die.

and nope..... I don't even have to get in the ring. My overclocking knowledge and experience is far beyond. Maybe you don't know much about me. You have no idea what I've gone through in the past. I'll let some low rookie-level overclocker to get in that ring. I don't fit there. I fit in the higher class overclocking, aka, xtreme overclocking in the Top 20 class.

another thing I don't like about some people is that they only rely on a God given Golden lucky superstar CPU to do the job, so you don't have to do much. All you have to do is apply a nice air setup and still get to some real good clocks. We the xtreme overclockers don't have to get Golden God given CPU to get high clocks. What we do, is apply xtreme cooling. Use our cooling and overclocking knowledge to beat those people in clocks and performance. Top clocks isn't the only thing. How the system actually delivers in pure performance is another. You gotta consider many of things.

so don't push it... I'm not a kind of guy who show off and tell everyone "I'M THE BEST!!! I BEAT YOU ALLLL HAHAHAHA I'M GONNA SLAM YOU DOWN" dead wrong... I keep quiet... I'm hell a lot better than that. Some newb here think I'm a flammer and not an xtreme clockers, well you thought wrong, sir. so don't push it.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 24th May, 2004 at 11:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th May, 2004, 02:02 AM
perc

ummmmm you ok dude? i wasnt tryin to bring up old news i just came here to post a new stepping i just got and seen that arguement and made a comment sorry it made you flip out....

peace perc,
Old 25th May, 2004, 02:41 AM
perc

Quote:
If I wanted to give you hard feelings, I would've quoted your reply too. But honestly, I don't really care how you feel. It just doesn't matter to me. it's no biggie.
wtf?
Old 5th June, 2004, 05:20 PM

heh, this thread died pretty quick...
Anywhoo here goes my very first post!
Got me a 2600-m and I guess Im pretty lucky, being a newb and all to OCing.
Bought the chip solely for this purpose and here's what I got so far:
14x200@ 1.9v - post but no win
13.5x200@1.9v - win but no prime95
current settings:
12x200@1.6v
(figure this is good enough for daily use for now until I finish researching)

Ive been running prime95 for the past 14+ hours and it seems stable. Got a bunch of other programs running too so I think its doing pretty well.

ambient is currently 25.7c
full load has been fluctuating between 39c and 40c
idle was around 32-35 degrees. (its hot here, so the A/C has been on and off)
I guess its pretty good, but Im shopping around for a water cooling system.

setup:
DFI LANParty NF2 Ultra B
Mushkin 3200 2-2-2 special 2x512: timings are at 2-3-2-6
(Looking back, I should have opted for higher speed mem)
Swiftech MCX462-V
Thermaltake smart fan 2 ~75cfm (loud as hell =P) and TT duct mod
Aspire Black X-Dreamer 500 Watt PSU

I just got interested in Ocing a few months ago, when building this pc was just an idea in my head and started to save money for the project. Been building pcs for a couples years now, tho.
Im trying to get 2.6 outta of this thing but Im having trouble determining voltage vs. temp. A couple questions Im having a tough time finding answers to is the voltage requirements of different multi's.
Do higher multi's need higher voltage if I decrease the fsb to achieve the same clock? and/or Do higher fsb with lower multi's still require higher voltage?
oh, and why does a higher multi "feel" faster? or is just my imagination?
Also if someone could point me in the way of a good ram overclocking guide..hopefully...maybe I think my ram is what was stopping me from hitting a higher fsb during my experiments.
Id be grateful for any help getting into this thing more deeper.
I guess I could try every single combination....but some good advice would help me out alot.
-Abner

p.s. yea, I did buy most of the parts cause they looked good and Im not ashamed of that -all my pcbs are black and thats just....cool

Last edited by Abner; 5th June, 2004 at 05:42 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th June, 2004, 06:48 PM
Member/Contributer

Hey Abner welcome to AOA!

Thats a fine CPU you have, doing 2.4Ghz at 1.6V!

whatever is the best person to ask about overclocking your DFI board (memory and CPU), he has good experience with them.

Enjoy your stay here at AOA!

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 5th June, 2004, 07:30 PM

Thanks Laz

funny thing...15 mins after posting here I was happily computing along with 7 IEs open, instant messenging, transfering files, downloading a movie w/bt, listening to winamp, and running prime 95. Then I opened up a video file and guess what?
yep. not as stable as I thought.

mebbe 1.65 would serve me better.

and yes, I do have a little ADD problem

but youre right. I would like to hear from some other dfi ultra b owners with similar specs and their experiences. Probably wrong thread, tho.
back to the topic...GET THE 2600!!
my $.02
-Abner
Old 5th June, 2004, 09:06 PM
Member/Contributer

Hey a great stability tester is Folding @ Home. Check out the F@H Pages here and download the client, install it, fold for Team 45 and see what happens!

My XP-M2500+ will do all manner of chores at 220x11 @ 1.7V, but throw in F@H and I have to go to 1.75Vcore to get it 100%.

Yes these are great CPU's!

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th June, 2004, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abner

Got me a 2600-m
14x200@ 1.9v - post but no win
13.5x200@1.9v - win but no prime95
current settings:
12x200@1.6v

Ive been running prime95 for the past 14+ hours and it seems stable. Got a bunch of other programs running too so I think its doing pretty well.

I guess its pretty good, but Im shopping around for a water cooling system.

That is a damn fine overclock @2,700mhz+ semi stable, air cooled. You've got a nice chip. Potential of 3ghz can be done with a subzero waterchilled.

Quote:
setup:
DFI LANParty NF2 Ultra B
Mushkin 3200 2-2-2 special 2x512: timings are at 2-3-2-6
(Looking back, I should have opted for higher speed mem)
Swiftech MCX462-V
Thermaltake smart fan 2 ~75cfm (loud as hell =P) and TT duct mod
Aspire Black X-Dreamer 500 Watt PSU

The problem is that your board will likely to limit in total clocks than most other boards. DFI Infinty and Lanparty boards are not able to deliver steady rails in the Vcore voltages. Fluctuation is high and is not designed to handle high volts of 2.0V or higher(in some case, lower than 2v). That is why I am damn surprised of your overclock with that board. Expect another 100~ 150mhz(in some case, 200mhz) boost with an Abit NF7/s board or the like. This is merely in terms of total clocks, not FSBs. It is possible you could get 3100+mhz on an Abit NF7/s with waterchilled setup or some other phase change cooling. It could even go higher.

I would give 1.80V+ a try@ 2.6ghz. Because the board undervolts and fluctuates, you need to give it higher Vcore than what you should need for X mhz of CPU clock. Otherwise you will experience instabilities. 1.8V is an example. You will have to go thorough trials and errors yourself to find out what Volts with the same cooling your CPU likes. Every CPUs are different.

Quote:
Im trying to get 2.6 outta of this thing but Im having trouble determining voltage vs. temp. A couple questions Im having a tough time finding answers to is the voltage requirements of different multi's.
Do higher multi's need higher voltage if I decrease the fsb to achieve the same clock? and/or Do higher fsb with lower multi's still require higher voltage?
The need for Vcore depends on the total system clock, as long as the memory is able to handle the FSBs well. You will need higher Vcore with higher multi and you still need higher Vcore with higher FSBs if the total system clock is the similar.

Quote:
oh, and why does a higher multi "feel" faster? or is just my imagination?

Higher FSBs will be faster.

Quote:
Also if someone could point me in the way of a good ram overclocking guide..hopefully...maybe I think my ram is what was stopping me from hitting a higher fsb during my experiments.

This is one of the most important part of the post.

Your Two 512mb sticks are probably "Double- Sided". Most I've seen are that way. Single sided sticks overclock much better. Yours will not be able to go much higher than 200FSB. 200FSB will probably the best shot right now. You can run much higher FSBs by disabling the CPC (Command Per Clock) in the memory department in the newer version of BIOS, but you will have huge performance hit. I'm assuming you are on 11-29 BIOS, which is the default one from factory. That BIOS already comes CPC enabled. That is why you're having trouble overclocking FSBs. If you had single sided ram, you would have much better chance overclock far past 200FSBs.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 7th June, 2004 at 03:04 AM.
Old 7th June, 2004, 02:59 AM

Turn CPU Throttle feature off.
Run the FSB : DRAM ratio at 1 : 1, 100% Sync.
These are just few to name.. You will have to go through the BIOS and see for yourself. I don't remember everything on BIOS. You ask me and I'll answer.

In order to get maximum performance(which is faster than any other Nforce2 boards up-to-date) out of your Lanparty board, you need to have it operate at cas 2-2-2-2.0-13-15, Dual Channel enabled, CPC enabled(very important), CPU aggressive On(aka CPU Interface), and APIC enabled as well. With all these enabled, even at 225FSB you are talking "ownage". Spectacular performance sorta speak.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 7th June, 2004 at 03:09 AM.
Old 7th June, 2004, 02:55 PM

thanks for all the info, Whatever.
Im sorting and applying it little by little.
Right now Im running at 2605 mhz @ 12 deg over ambient.
Its hot here with summer coming, so thats not so great.

1.8 volts seems to hit the sweet spot in stability. You were right on the money there.
1.7-1.75 boots and runs every program except prime.
The fluctuations are indeed really bad. As much as 0.030 volts.

Im gonna try upping the fsb little by little and see where I hit the wall. I couldnt find the cpc setting, tho. Whats does that do anyway?
Personally, I dont wanna mess with the ram cause its actually the most expensive component in my machine. But vdimm voltage is stock and mushkin says to raise it to hit rated speeds. So I'll see what the ram can do later on.

With 2.6 stable the only thing left is 2.7 stable
but currently with temps at only tolerable levels right now I think its just a wet dream...literally. I need water here.
I remember reading an article saying that heat is the greatest enemy of overclockers...its not. Money is. (T_T)
I tried Ocing my old 2200 athlon xp before swapping in this 2600 just to test the waters. I hit 2.33 ghz @ 2.0v (155x15) which ran 3 days at a time then crashed. The 2600 -m is really a great chip. 3ghz is definitely possible but not on air. I dont think I would have hit this speed at this voltage with a 2500, tho. Ive been lurking in a bunch of forums (including this one until I felt inclined to post) with lots of people posting on 2500 specs. Id say the extra ten bucks was well worth it.
I'll post later on after seeing if I can hit 2.7 stably once I have some time to experiment some more. Its gonna be an uphill battle with air but hopefully, I'll make it.
-Abner
Attached Thumbnails
Athlon XP-M 2500 or 2600-cpuz.jpg  
Old 7th June, 2004, 08:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm sorry to get here so late in the disturbance. No one reported this thread to the Moderator!

I don't know what you smoking Whatever, but it isn't doing you any good! Your post was entirely out of line and in violation of our forum rules and YOU KNOW THIS!! I can scarcely believe this is the whatever I have come to regard with respect and affection.

JMa2969, I realize you were provoked, I apologize. However we do have rules that would have prevented this unpleasantness - had you followed them...

Should you reconsider, this thread will be forgotten. However in the future please report objectionable posts to the moderator by clicking the RED triangle top right of each post.

BTW either one of you might be ban for your posts here in this thread
I'm going to chalk this up to a bad day all around, I'm disappointed, but we all have bad days...sigh.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 7th June, 2004, 10:22 PM

Abner, sounds good... wish you good luck with your next goal of 2.7ghz stable. Sure indeed.. having a nice chip definitely helps... I never had luck with getting good oc'ing chips most of the time.. except my old xp1700 tbred few years ago. I just gotta look more before I hit that online basket lol.

and to Daniel,

JMa2969 finally "blew me off". I kept patient and patient and tried to keep quiet when he spread the garbage(oh yes... garbage, most definitely) about dissing DFI NF2 boards all over the threads(even in the topics that have nothing to do with the DFI nor any boards) constantly. Time frame of approx. a "month". That's.... 4 weeks honey. I can't keep quiet for a month and so on. There is a thing called "blow up". No one has blow ups beside me? oh my gosh...

You don't know what has been happening here exactly. If you only look at the aggressive actions I have made here toward JMa2969 and ignoring all other things, that would be unfair. That would certainly be not right.

Oh btw, you still haven't put up my DFI NF2 board article in the site. You have never acknowledged me that it is done. It's been what.... 3 months? well maybe not 3 months but... 2.5 months?? that's long enough. I shouldn't have done the article for ya if I knew what was going to happen.

Ban me if you want. I don't have the same feelings toward the forum like I used to a long time ago. I don't need to have affection by you... I have some really good people I look up to in "real life", far.... far...... far....... beyond. Man... talk about quality, amen.....

just to let you know, this message is not to give excuse so I don't get banned.. I said it because it is true. I won't be happy even if you don't ban me in this forum. See the drift?? it doesn't matter i get banned or not. I feel the need to explain what has happened and how i felt...

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 7th June, 2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 7th June, 2004, 10:38 PM

oh wait wait one thing... at first you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Should you reconsider, this thread will be forgotten. However in the future please report objectionable posts to the moderator by clicking the RED triangle top right of each post.
[/b]

and then you said this?
Quote:

BTW either one of you might be ban for your posts here in this thread
I'm going to chalk this up to a bad day all around, I'm disappointed, but we all have bad days...sigh.

are you having trouble making up your mind? At first part, you sound like you want me to "reconsider", as if it sounds like you are not going to ban me so I shall reconsider... and then you say I "might be" banned for it. That sounds like I'm gonna get banned anyway so why is there a need for "reconsider"? How can I reconsider when I'm gone(banned)? I can't enter the forum, can't I? I'm not trying to be smart here, I'm just pointing out this doesn't seem right. lol

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 7th June, 2004, 10:51 PM

Daniel, you know what.. this is going to be the last post I ever make. I won't be posting any more posts nor even come to this forum to read. This is why I feel whether I get banned or not, it doesn't matter. You have my words. If I say it, I'm gone.... won't be coming back, ever.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 7th June, 2004, 11:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If JMa2969 broke our rules you should have reported it. That's the way the system works.

Please explain to me in what way posting on the Internet in a forum is not "real life"?

As far as your article goes, I did tell you that it would be posted once our new front page went up. Something I expected to happen long ago. But server difficulties interfered with my plans.

As things are now we have no permeate, accessible record of our posts to front page. I expect this to change in the next week or so.

However I can understand your disappointment. Should you wish to withdraw it to publish elsewhere I understand. That it is no longer as timely as it was when you were good enough to submit it I fully appreciate and apologize.

That you have found others that you value more than I can only be a good thing and I'm glad for you. That you no longer value our friendship saddens me.

Never the less I'd be negligent in my duty to a friend to not say your being a jerk about this whole thing.

Your creating problems rather than seeking solutions. Again, I have to say this is not like you. I don't know what's bothering you, but my door is always open should you need a less than worthy friend to tell your troubles to.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 7th June, 2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old 7th June, 2004, 11:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

We cross posted. Sorry to see you go. I hope in time you will reconsider. If not I wish you all the very best.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th June, 2004, 11:07 PM
Member/Contributer

Whoooops!? Whats going on here!?

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th June, 2004, 11:08 PM
AOA Staff

It's sad that something like this turns out this way.
Old 7th June, 2004, 11:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever
oh wait wait one thing... at first you said:
[/b]

and then you said this?
[/b]
are you having trouble making up your mind? At first part, you sound like you want me to "reconsider", as if it sounds like you are not going to ban me so I shall reconsider... and then you say I "might be" banned for it. That sounds like I'm gonna get banned anyway so why is there a need for "reconsider"? How can I reconsider when I'm gone(banned)? I can't enter the forum, can't I? I'm not trying to be smart here, I'm just pointing out this doesn't seem right. lol
No, I'm not in difficulty as far as what I should do. The facts are plain, the situation requires little of me. Rather you've simply misunderstood my post.

In the first instance I was telling JMa2969 he would be welcome to return. Then I gave him instruction as to how to avoid difficulties in the future should he change his mind about not returning.

In the second instance the "Phrase might be ban" is a sentence structure that contracts the phrase "might have been ban." This is made clear by the sentence that follows:

"I'm going to chalk this up to a bad day all around, I'm disappointed, but we all have bad days...sigh."
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur