AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd April, 2004, 08:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to JMa2969

Athlon XP-M 2500 or 2600

Hey all. As you know from my sig I am running a "Barton" with a locked multi. I just got a steal from NewEgg on a Refurb. NF7-S (don't know what version yet, as it arrives tomorrow. Not that I am unhappy with my AN7, but for the price I thought it worth buying to play around with. But, I am currently thinking of jumping on the mobile bandwagon to get an unlocked multi. I have the choice of the 2500 or the 2600 (both same FSB's, Both "Barton's" and both same vcore except 2600 stocks at 2.0 Ghz and the 2500 stocks at 1.83 Ghz. I would like some input from you mobile users as to which is the better overclocking processor.
While I am at it, I would like to know about OCZ memory. The Gold v2 says optimized for intel, is it worth buying for the better voltage warranty or should I stick with the EL brand even if no extended warranty. Which overclocks better (I am considering PC-3700, well, am actually looking at a lot of varieties of OCZ as I believe that I am done with Corsair). What, in your opinions, is the best buy (and I don't wanna hear about Mushkin or Buffalo), just OCZ, so this is just to OCZ users or those VERY familiar with it. Who knows, by the time I am done I may even have 2 machines up and running, as lord knows, I have most of the parts for another one already.
Thanks in advance;
Tim
Corsair TwinX 512Mb PC-3200LL RAM 11-3-2-2
2x Hitachi 80Gb 7k250 SATA Drives RAID0 (with WDC 20Gig Backup)
Antec Performance Plus 1080 AMG With 5 fans
Vantec Aeroflow CPU fan (all air here)
MSI GeForce 5900XT-VTD VGA
Creative Audigy MP3+
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th April, 2004, 01:17 AM
Member/Contributer

I've got a mobile 2600, and contrary to the other post in this section, I'm having a hard time(impossible as of yet) getting it to run at 2.4gighz. I have put the voltage from 1.65 up to 2.0 and it still wont stay on 2.4gighz. Getting it to 2.34 is cake though, at 1.65volts 2-3-2-5 its very stable, enough to game. Prime fails, but I've had no other problems. I'm sure with looser memory timings I could get it to be 100% stable. At 1.65V on my Thermalright alx-800 with vantec, it idles at like 38oC and then under load its like 42oC. I dont know how really different 2500 and 2400's are but I'm yet to hear about people hitting the wall such as I have with it.

Maybe an important note, im using 333mhz corasir XMS ram. I've heard corsiar doesn't like more V a whole lot and OCZ has always shown me good reviews. You might want to look into PMI extreme speed ram. www.frozencpu.com has all varietys of it(lots of different timings and prices) and www.gruntville.com reviewed it, and he has lots of good reviews. Also they have a very nice "blingin" heatspreader.

My final call; its really impossible to tell. Its going to be luck, to get a good CPU, unless you can get the Steppings, and then research which are the best. That will really help you isolate the good and the bad.
Old 24th April, 2004, 03:58 AM

Smile

Sorry, forget what I referenced about the same setup, I thought you were someone else with an AN7, just read the rest.
Tim

If you lok at my sig, I have pretty much the same setup, except I am running the Athlon XP "Barton" 333 FSB core (non-mobile) and I get 2300 easy. I just switched from the AN7 to a newly installed NF7-S and I am not having some of the problems I had with the AN7. I am running Corsair PC-3200 RAM and have no problems with it, except I could not for the life of me to get the CPU interface to run at all. With this NF7-S I am getting it to run, although I just got it installed and have yet to bench it against the AN7. I am leaning towards some of the problems being the AN7 right now, as so far i am getting better results with this new board. (I got it Refurbished off of NewEgg.com for 69.00). I am not willing to bet on an unproven memory technology. OCZ has a great track record from what I can see, and while the one you mentioned may turn out to be great, I am fed up with tryiong the new boy's on the block until proven (and there is the matter of payoffs for articles and something I ran across the other month, which was MSI was putting out dummy boards for review and then sending something completely different, I guess I shouldn't complain as I got better Hynix memory modules, but they sent boards to Digit-Life and PC-Stats for review with the FX5900 chip on board and are shipping the FX5900XT chip. NewEgg even lists them as having the FX5900 (you can tell, the FX5900 runs at 400 Mghz core and the FX5900XT runs at 390 core speed, but my video card will still overclock to around 490 Mghz core from 390 and around 797 Memory from 700, so it runs anything I want and for 185.00 it was a deal, but had I known I would have bought either Gainward (who puts FX5900 Chips in their boards) or Gigabute, who advertises as sold and actually cools the ram (I had to buy and epoxy some OCZ copper BGA chip heatsinks).
But, getting back to topic, although it seems counterintuitive, I have heard that the 2500 clocked better or as well as the 2600 (you would think that with the higher base speed the 2600 would do better, but with AMD that is not always the case). Thanks for the input though.
Tim
Creative Audigy MP3+

Last edited by JMa2969; 24th April, 2004 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Mistake
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th April, 2004, 06:27 PM
Member/Contributer

Right I think its all in the chip. I got a friend who has a 2600 and got it to 2.5 gighz with air at only 1.65V, where I have to use 1.65V to get 2.3 :-/. I've seen 2500's go quite high. I've even heard the 2400's are "the new 1.7 tbred".

We were talking last night however and he had the idea that maybe my 2-3 year old powersupply isn't putting out stable enough voltage to be successful. I dont know, but its worth trying.

I can really understand your rock solid stance on good brand ram, because I had generic ram for a while, and HATED it. I believe that of all things brand name is most important in ram. However some people like to be a bit daring and don't have the money to buy kingston, I'd still like to see someone try PMI before I plunge into it. However all I've ever heard about OCZ is they are good, never seen one bad review on the whole internet.
Old 24th April, 2004, 06:42 PM

Smile

Thanks for the input;
Tim
Creative Audigy MP3+
Old 25th April, 2004, 09:47 AM

If you can find one, go for the 1.3v XP2400's they are hard to get hold of but are sweet.

My 2500-M is stable at 2.6ghz 1.95v on air.

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)

Old 25th April, 2004, 08:32 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks, NewEgg has the 2400's last I checked, but it will be a little before I can get to it, so I will keep that in mind about the 2500's, that was where I was leaning. Thanks to all for your help and advice;
Tim
Creative Audigy MP3+
Old 25th April, 2004, 09:53 PM

I got a 2400 mobile from newegg and got it in two days. I have a watercooling setup and am going to try to push it as far as it will go. My current board dosen't allow me to change multi and I havent had the chance to swap out to my other board. The price was just way to low for me to resist on this processor. From a standpoint on what chip to buy, if you don't mind spending a little extra dough, I would get the 2600. The 2600 is going to be a higher quality chip more times than not. The mobiles are all the same as far as I know, the difference in the rating is how well they hold up in the pretesting at the point of production. The 2600's are the ones that can operate at a higher speed yet still stay just as cool as the others. In other words they are the best of the batch they are tested with. I might be wrong though. All I know is thanks to everyone else for recommending this chip to me.
Old 25th April, 2004, 10:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I bought an XP 3200+ operating on that theory. The best I ever got stable out of that chip was 2.6 GHz, and that was with water cooling. That's not a bad OC, by any means, but I gave $350 for that chip. I have two mobile 2500+ chips that I paid $90 each for, which will both go to the same speed. One of them will do it on air.
Old 25th April, 2004, 10:45 PM
Member/Contributer

i got my 2600 for 77 plus shipping =-O. Its really not surprising that you're going to get more OC outta the lower ranged ones, since they are all on existing technology and that technology has produced the 3200 and the 2400... they CAN go higher, but AMD reduces the clocks for various reasons(stabilitiy, supply/demand, etc). Basically look at what you get for what you pay(overclocked and stock) not how much you can overclock out of it, because thats a bit foolhearty when you really think about it.
Old 26th April, 2004, 02:25 AM

as said by xerohour...

"I've got a mobile 2600, and contrary to the other post in this section, I'm having a hard time(impossible as of yet) getting it to run at 2.4gighz"
( As Said by Xerohour)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well no wonder why...Look at your ram PC2700 with that proc.And you wonder why you cant get 2.4 lol your choking that processor down with that
memory..Do yourself a favor and upgrade your speed like 3500 or atleast
3200 you wont be sorry you did it i guarantee you...
-Sean

Last edited by seldomsean; 26th April, 2004 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Quote
Old 26th April, 2004, 02:29 AM
Member/Contributer

ah you'd think that, but my FSB can go to 211, which is great, so i up the multi and drop the fsb to say 200. If i set it to the multi that gives me 2400, it locks or crashes :P
Old 26th April, 2004, 02:32 AM

Well get some Faster ram (that ram is fast but not fast enough)
Old 26th April, 2004, 02:53 AM
Member/Contributer

oh i plan on it, and with dual channel low latency when i can afford it.
Old 26th April, 2004, 03:07 AM

Smile

But doesn't all this add up to the 2500-M being the cream of the crop. It sure seems as though all that are posting are getting better results out of the 2500 than the 2600. And the 2400 is a little low for my tastes. And what is wrong with wanting a chip to overclock, this isn't the forum for consrvative clocking. This is the forum for the Alliance for the Advancement of the Overclocking Arts, after all. Isn't that why we are here, among other things? Sorry dude, not trying to flame you, but I for one, want a stable overclock (I just got an NF7-S v2.0 and it will not run 32M places on superpi no matter what I clock at, high, low, normal,, synced, unsynced, volted up or down. So, I am sending it back for a refund and am going to give DFI one more try, and pick up an NFII Ultra Infinity. My AN7 blows the doors off the NF7-S, and the screwy thing with the AN7, is that I FINALLY got the CPU interface to work and it dropped all my Sandra Scores through the floor[especially memory bandwidth, go figure, and not to flame Gizmo, but the cpu interface seemed more CPU oriented than memory, as to get ot to work I had to up the voltage on my CPU and dropp back to 333 FSB on the CPU. The memory settings had no effect at all]). Thanks again all;
Tim
Creative Audigy MP3+
Old 26th April, 2004, 04:48 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMa2969
...and not to flame Gizmo, but the cpu interface seemed more CPU oriented than memory, as to get ot to work I had to up the voltage on my CPU and dropp back to 333 FSB on the CPU. The memory settings had no effect at all
Now why on earth would I think you were flaming me?

Your experience was simply different from mine. BTW, you don't seem to be unique in that regard, either. I've read several places where people said they got a better OC with the CPU interface turned off. For me and the way I do things, the CPU interface made about a 5% difference in my OC. YMMV.
Old 26th April, 2004, 11:05 AM

Well can someone explain why mobile 2500+ bartons that is clocked at 1,83 is cheaper than mobile 2400+ barton clocked at 1,8?

Also why do the 2500+ even exist in the first place when they are clocked so similar?

I just ordered a AQYHA 2500 mobile hoping for some decent results on my wc setup.

My current 2500+ (AQXEA bought before they where locked) is crap. I have to go to 2 V to make it run at 2,3 Gig and that isn´t 100 % stable even as such a low fsb of 200.
Old 26th April, 2004, 05:39 PM

Smile

Got me, I have the "Barton" XP 2600+ and I have to run at 1.844v to get a decent 200FSB (that is to run Superpi to 32M places. I can run and boot Windows at a much lower voltage. I think it is the luck of the draw. I also had no Idea they were clocked so similar. Maybe time to look at the 2400-M more closely. Have a good one;
Tim
Creative Audigy MP3+
Old 29th April, 2004, 06:54 PM

Thumbs up

Most of the reviews I've seen about the mobiles have been with the 2500. They've hit 3.0ghz with vapochills and way over 2500mhz with water. Some are lucky to get over 2500 with air but from my experience they run a little too hot for me! I currently have my 2500-m at 2300 (11.5x200) at 1.575v which is running 10'C cooler than my old 2500 barton did running at 200x11 and 1.65v. I've had it up to 2500 stable as a rock at 1.75v, but the temps were a bit too high for my liking and unless I had my aeroflow at 5600rpm it wouldn't run any games. For me its just as much about being able to run all my fans on low speed and still have a 2300mhz XP at rediculously low temps, as it is about squeezing a few more hundred mhz.
1GB OCZ 4000 Gold Rev2
Antec true control 550w
2x 80gb sata Hitachi 7k250 Raid 0 (94mb/s sis Sandra on Nvidia Raid)
1x ide 160gb Hitachi 7k250
6800GT 431/1100
LG 8x dvd rw (-+&RAM)

Watercooling:
L30 + L20
DD RBX CPU
DD NV68 GPU
DD Maze 4 chipset
WACC P/A res
Thermochill 120.2
1/2 ID
Old 1st May, 2004, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist
Well can someone explain why mobile 2500+ bartons that is clocked at 1,83 is cheaper than mobile 2400+ barton clocked at 1,8?

Also why do the 2500+ even exist in the first place when they are clocked so similar?

I just ordered a AQYHA 2500 mobile hoping for some decent results on my wc setup.

My current 2500+ (AQXEA bought before they where locked) is crap. I have to go to 2 V to make it run at 2,3 Gig and that isn´t 100 % stable even as such a low fsb of 200.
the mobile 2500+ is actually 1866mhz.

also the 2600XP mobiles actually have a 1.65 vcore not 1.45v

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)