AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th April, 2004, 08:21 PM

Question help with settings

just put together my new computer comprising
abit an7
aero lite 7 cooler
80 gb maxtor sata
geil 512 pc3200
2500 xp cpu
450w psu
all been running stable for a week at
temps cpu 35-40
system 28
what i need is some ideas on settings to hit 3200 any help gladly taken
Old 26th April, 2004, 08:50 PM
Member/Contributer

Hey, welcome to AOA Land!

You forgot to list you CPU specs...
Old 27th April, 2004, 01:44 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongeeone
just put together my new computer comprising
abit an7
aero lite 7 cooler
80 gb maxtor sata
geil 512 pc3200
2500 xp cpu
450w psu
all been running stable for a week at
temps cpu 35-40
system 28
what i need is some ideas on settings to hit 3200 any help gladly taken

First off, make sure that you have the latest AN-7 BIOS (version 1.5, also known as version 15). You can get it at www.abit-usa.com. Normally, we have the latest BIOS files at www.aoafiles.com, but that is down right now for some maintenance.

As far as OCing, the AN-7 is a pretty decent board as long as you do everything from the BIOS, and don't try to use Abit's Windows utils for that. Don't use OC On The Fly, it doesn't work. One thing that DOES work is saving your presets in the BIOS. If you don't know what that means, don't worry about it. You will figure things out as you go.

Go read this before doing anything. It is a great little 'Getting Started' kind of guide.

Finally, you will probably end up with something like the following settings:

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disable
FSB: 200 MHz
Multiplier: 11
CPU Interface: Enable
Memory Divider: Auto or 6/6
CPU Voltage: 1.75v
Memory Timing: Auto

I don't know for sure that these settings will work for you (one of the fun things about OC is that you get to figure a lot of this stuff on your own!), but it should be a good place to start. One of our other forum members with an AN-7 should be able to help you a bit more. I don't have mine running right now and I can't remember for sure what I had it set for.

If you get the machine into a state where it won't boot, turn it completely off at the PSU, set your CMOS jumper to clear the CMOS, count to 10, and then set it back, and turn the machine back on. This should reset your CMOS back to factory defaults.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forums!

Edit: Changed CPU Spread Spectrum from Enable to Disable. Dunno how it got turned on, but it needs to be turned off.

Last edited by Gizmo; 27th April, 2004 at 03:36 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th April, 2004, 02:07 PM

just got to 3200 seems to easy
currently 11x200 is there any more that can be done
Old 27th April, 2004, 02:51 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

lol..there is always more....
welcome and have fun!
GIZmo..lol good first start settings... pretty safe and almost always bootable...i think u should get a sticky!(an7 basic OC setting start)

btw... you only need to short the cmos reset jumper for like 3 seconds... all you are doing is connecting the link to ground and ensuring that all power has drained out of the system after removing the battery and ensuring all settings are removed.....
the onlything that i would do different is disable spread spectrum...gives a more stable overclock and i have yet to have a problem with emi...
Old 27th April, 2004, 03:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
btw... you only need to short the cmos reset jumper for like 3 seconds...
Yeah, I know. Experience has taught me, though, that people always do it for about half as long as I tell them to. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
the onlything that i would do different is disable spread spectrum...gives a more stable overclock and i have yet to have a problem with emi...
You're right. I went back and edited the post. I meant for it to be that way to start with, and I guess my brain wandered off and left my body unattended at the keyboard. We need a new acronym:

BLBUAK (Brain Left Body Unattended at Keyboard).

Kinda like PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th April, 2004, 03:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongeeone
just got to 3200 seems to easy
currently 11x200 is there any more that can be done
Getting that chip to 3200+ (which is about 2.2 GHz) is pretty easy, usually. The real trick comes in pushing it up to 2.4 or 2.5 GHz and above. That depends on a lot of things in your system, like the CPU, the cooling, and so on.

Did you read that guide I pointed you at? That will explain a lot for you, and then you can experiment on your own. BTW, you have GOT to pay attention to your temps! On the AN-7, you've got a temp sensor for the VCore regulator that you should monitor, as well as the CPU. As you push the VCore up, the regulator will get hotter and hotter, along with the CPU. Since the AN-7 monitors the thermal diode on the CPU, you should be OK up to about 60 or 65C, but don't go any higher than that. And make sure that you keep your VCore regulator below about 80C. You can use the AbitEQ utility to monitor those temps (in fact, that is about the only thing you CAN use, because Abit doesn't want to let the other utility writers in on the secret of how to talk to the ĀµGuru chip). I believe that AbitEQ will alarm at 75C on the VCore and around 70C on the CPU, but I may be wrong on that.

Anyway, experiment and have fun! And above all, DO YOUR RESEARCH! OC is inherently stressful to equipment, and thus you risk burning something up. However, it is all about taking informed risks. Know what your are risking, know what you expect to gain, and then determine if the risk is worth it.
Old 27th April, 2004, 07:07 PM

just tried to up the speed to 12 x200 in bios with user default but when it boots into windows it still gives it at 3200xp could it be locked at 11xand will i need to go more on fsb instead
Old 27th April, 2004, 08:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

At 12x200, the BIOS should report your CPU speed as 2.4 GHz (2400 MHz) during POST if you press the tab key. Does it?
Old 27th April, 2004, 10:25 PM

Unhappy

no put in 12x200 save and exit then on screen update success but in windows xp it only shows 2200
hwininfo shows 11x200 which makes me think the 11 is locked. any ideas
Old 28th April, 2004, 12:50 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

It's not a mobile, is it?

Yeah, you can't set it above 11x on the multi. However, that's probably OK. The thing you can do now is start bumping up your FSB until things start becoming unstable or your temps get too high.
Old 28th April, 2004, 08:11 AM

no not a mobile .must be locked as i tried 166x12 saved to bios -update success -boot to windows-hwininfo still shows 11x
what should cpu voltage be
Old 28th April, 2004, 03:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Default CPU voltage for that chip is 1.65v. Anything over 1.9v or so is starting to risk premature failure of your chip, but that is up to you. Main thing is to be sure to keep it cool. Getting it too hot will kill it faster than anything else.
Old 29th April, 2004, 10:04 PM

latest 11x220
cpu temp 40
cpu volts 1.650
how high can the fsb go?
Old 29th April, 2004, 10:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

As with all things involving OC, it depends on the components you are using. The AN-7 will let you set the FSB all the way up to 300. However, I will be surprised if you get much over 225-230 stable.
Old 9th May, 2004, 09:48 AM

update runs at 2417 solid havent tried to go higher but i think it would boots into xp every time without altering cpu voltage
abit an7 this board rocks
ran sandra test says need to get more memory bandwidth
thanks for all your help
Old 10th May, 2004, 02:54 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've moved this thread to "AMD Motherboards and CPU's"
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic