AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th June, 2004, 01:59 AM

Overclocked, but no performance gain?

Ok, I have my XP 2600+ on a Shuttle AN35N with pc2700 overclocked to 13x170 (2210MHz), but it's only showing a gain of TWO points in 3dMark03 (1532 vs 1530). What am I doing wrong? I expect better performance from the overclocking.

Actually at 13x166, I actually get a WORSE score than the factory settings of 12.5x166. Can anyone shed some light? I'd appreciate it.
Old 10th June, 2004, 02:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I wouldn't sweat a point different of 1 or 2 percent in 3dmark03. That is probably within the margin of error. As for the fact that you got no difference in performance when you overclocked, that is because 3dm03 is purposely designed to try to minimize the effect cpu and memory performance have on the bench. It is solely concerned with graphics card performance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th June, 2004, 03:32 AM

so what should I use to gauge the performance increase? CPU performance certainly has a large effect on the graphics performance of a system. Thanks for the response.
Old 10th June, 2004, 04:44 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

3dmark01 is more affected by CPU, although still not a lot. Aquamark seems to provide a better idea of total system performance. You can download it from AOAFiles here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th July, 2004, 08:06 AM

I don't know if anyone got to it but, Welcome to AOA kotch