AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th June, 2004, 09:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to Hoppster

Cool Athlon XP-M Mobile Temps at different FSB Speeds

Gidday.

Will an Athlon XP-M2600 processer running 100fsb x 20x be hotter than one at say 133fsb x 15x

Will the temperature be extreem at the higher multiplier setting?

or will they run at the same temp.

I ask this because im about to install the chip into an XP-TMC upgrade socket onto a KT133 based VIA CT 7AIA mobo. This seems a cheap upgrade. $NZ240 isnt too bad if it works. Ive got PC133 SDRAM set to turbo in Bios

They say on thier site that the 100fsb setting is more stable.

Why is this and which setting would be more efficient.

Any help is appreciated. Failing that I could just have an experiment. What heck worse thing that could happen is i fry the lot, and i have to get a better machine.

Last edited by Hoppster; 17th June, 2004 at 09:42 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th June, 2004, 12:57 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Core temp should not vary since it is at the same total mhz. You will be stressing the nb more tho. Since the KT133 cannot do 133mhz, I wouldn't even try. Your best bet is to just stick with 100 or 105 if you can, and just raise the multiplier.
Old 17th June, 2004, 01:29 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Generally, if the core speed is the same, then the higher FSB setting will generate more heat. Why? The FSB speed directly sets the speed that the I/O buffers operate at, and they tend to generate more heat the faster they go.

The KT133 chipset is not known for overclockability (The last one I had managed about 105MHz FSB before hitting problems), so 133MHz FSB might cause a problem!
Old 17th June, 2004, 06:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to mobius_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Core temp should not vary since it is at the same total mhz. You will be stressing the nb more tho. Since the KT133 cannot do 133mhz, I wouldn't even try. Your best bet is to just stick with 100 or 105 if you can, and just raise the multiplier.
or get a new mobo, i know the albitron kx18d pro is very affordable and a good oc'er, havent checked in a while on the price but if i remember correctly it was around $50USD from newegg
AMD A64 X2 Manchester @ 2640Mhz
DFI nF4 Ultra-D
G.Skill 2x1GB DDR400 @ 240Mhz
EVGA 8800GTS 640Mb @ 600/1800
Audigy2 ZS Gamer LE
WD 160GB S-ATA II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th June, 2004, 06:47 PM

Ok, thanks for the info.

The mobo has a jumper setting 100 or 133. but everything is saying that I should use 100fsb x 20x so I will try that.
Old 17th June, 2004, 06:54 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius_13
or get a new mobo, i know the albitron kx18d pro is very affordable and a good oc'er, havent checked in a while on the price but if i remember correctly it was around $50USD from newegg
Im sort if sold on the Abit NF7 board. Unfortunatly Newegg dont freight internationally. I dont know why, its just a courier away
Old 17th June, 2004, 07:24 PM
Member/Contributer

Where do you live?

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th June, 2004, 10:01 AM

New Zealand
Old 19th June, 2004, 05:36 AM

She runs grand

Ive got a real stable system running at 20 x 110fsb
with the Mobile XP-M2600 processor and XP-TMC Adapter in a Chaintech CT-7AIA0 Mainboard. No problems yet. I might try to tweak her up higher.