AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th June, 2004, 07:04 AM

Question OC my old mobile Athlon??

This is my first cut at OC, and I need to know where to start. This box is already fast enough for my needs, but it would be fun to play and learn about overclocking.

My XP 1500+ chip turned out to be a Mobile Athlon 1346, but I guess this is a good thing since it runs in 36-39C temp range. I loaded MBM5 and AIDA32, and saw what they do. Now I'm ready to pull the trigger and change some stuff, but don't have a clue what to do.

The board supports 333 fsb and overclocking. Memory now 128 PC2200 soon to be 512 PC2700. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Old 27th June, 2004, 10:01 AM
AOA Staff

What motherboard do you have?
Old 27th June, 2004, 10:04 AM
Member/Contributer

Hi LexusDaisy,
Could you post what motherboard and CPU cooling you have? Your overclocking success will be influenced greatly by these two in terms of Voltage selection, multiplier choice, FSB, memory settings and heat removal.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th June, 2004, 11:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

you did get the correct chip, the XP1500 is a 1333mhz part the XP1600 being 1400mhz.

I think the default voltage for that chip will be about 1.4 or 1.3v, you should be fine at up to 1.8v with sufficient air cooling, is it a palomino core or an T'bred core? was the die square or rectangular?
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th June, 2004, 11:02 PM
Member/Contributer

I've read a few good things about these Mobile XP1500's. They are T'bred cores, all unlocked and 2Ghz should be easy! CPU City have them (Mobile XP1600+) for about £32 if anyone is interested.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th June, 2004, 12:54 AM

My board is an ASRock k7s41gx, the heatsink/fan is off of an older Duron, but seems to cool Ok.

Confused about temps: MBM5 says chip = 37 and case = 42 while the BIOS and AIDA32 say chip is 42 and case is 37. Shouldn't the case always be cooler than the chip?

CPU core voltage is 1.47 volts. Is this the one to increase? If so, how.

Am thinking about getting a bigger quieter fan with new sink. Everyone on newegg raves about this cooler that only costs $9.... very cool, very quiet and comes with a light show! Anyone familiar?

http://secure.newegg.com/app/Custrat...tem=35-106-602
Tr2tt (Designed by Thermaltake) Tr2M1 CPU Cooler for Socket A/ 370, Model "A4001D"
Features:
Compatibility: INTEL COPPERMINE 1.13 GHz, TUALATIN 2.0 GHz, AMD ALL DURON SERIES & ATHLON XP 3400+
Dimensions: Fan: 80 x 80 x 25 mm, HeatSink: 80 x 80 x 45 mm
Bearing Type: Ball Bearing
Nominal Speed(RPM): 2500
Max Air FlowCFM): 32.4
Max Pressure: 2.9 mm-H2O
HeatSink Material: Aluminum/ Copper Base
Rated Voltage: 12V DC
Connector: 3-Pin
Noise(dBA): 21
Special Features: Transparent body construction with Red, Green and Blue LED.

Last edited by LexusDaisy; 28th June, 2004 at 01:05 AM.
Old 28th June, 2004, 04:30 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The temps read by the BIOS are offset by some factor that is determined by the BIOS programmer, and can even vary from BIOS to BIOS. Basically, the offset is a 'guess' at how accurate the temp readings from the probes really are, and an attempt to compensate. Think of it as a 'Kentucky windage' for temps.

The temps read by MBM come directly from the sensors unaltered, so they are exactly what the probes are reading. These temps may or may not be more accurate than the temps reported by the BIOS, but they will almost certainly be different.
Old 28th June, 2004, 08:25 AM

I would ask if you are sure you set up MBM5 right? Sounds like you might have mixed up the sensors. I would trust the BIOS in your situation.

Good luck with your OC

AOA Team fah
Old 28th June, 2004, 06:07 PM
AOA Staff

I think Yan is right. Check the MBM5 configuration it has probably defaulted and mixed the two up.
Old 28th June, 2004, 07:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
I think Yan is right. Check the MBM5 configuration it has probably defaulted and mixed the two up.
Yeah, I completely missed the part about the temps being the same, just swapped. Probably due to the default MBM5 config as danrok and Yan have suggested. I had to twiddle my NF7 configuration, too.
Old 28th June, 2004, 08:45 PM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

mbm swapped the same things on me.

AOA Team fah