AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th June, 2004, 02:57 AM

nf7-s v2

I have a new ng7-s v2 with a 2600+Mobile that I am trying to oc. I have gotten some results out of it but whenever I push the FSB past 138 my Linksys wireless card decides that it won't work. Is there anyway that I can oc and still have wireless? Someone mentioned seperating the FSB and the PCI frequency, I thinkt that is what I need to do but I need to find out how to do that. I have read the manual but found nothing. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 30th June, 2004, 03:30 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

It is in the first bios screen, under CPU frequency... and above the voltage adjustments.

It will say something like AGP/PCI clock... you want to set this to 66/33, I think.
Old 1st July, 2004, 07:09 AM

I didn't see anything like that I only saw the Fraction adjuster (6/6 5/6 and so on). Is that what I am looking for? Do I set the FSB to 200, which it runs at very well, and then set the mobo to 6/6 so that the pci slots are at 33?

Also what is the best way to go about increasing the Voltage? Should I go up more than I need and than scale back until it is just right or should I creep upward slowly until it works out perfectly?
Old 1st July, 2004, 09:17 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The Fraction adjuster, from what I remember, allows you to change the ratio between the memory and the FSB.
Old 1st July, 2004, 10:22 AM
Member/Contributer

Surely the PCI/AGP frequenices are locked on the NF7 series? I think Aedan is right, the divisor lets you run you Memory Asynch to FSB.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st July, 2004, 11:20 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

If runnning 200fsb or higher, definitely 6/6. However, there is another setting... I'll reboot one of my machines and get back to you
Old 1st July, 2004, 11:22 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

It is right above "CPU FSB/DRAM ratio".
It is called "AGP Frequency". Just set this to 66mhz and the PCI will be locked at 33.
Old 1st July, 2004, 08:51 PM

Thank you. I will try that as soon as I get my computer back from my friend's house.
Old 6th July, 2004, 08:55 PM

I have put the FSB up to 200 and the multi to 11 figuring that it can handle it. Windows boots and all is good until about 3 minutes down the road and then the machine shutsdown and I have to reset CMOS. Does this mean that the FSB is too high? Do I have voltage problems? What is the best way to tweak with the voltage, up it a little at a time or raise it a whole bunch and then back off ? When do I know I need to up the vCore?
Old 6th July, 2004, 10:20 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Generally when the machine shuts down, it's a more serious issue. If the FSB was too high, you'd expect to get lockups and odd behavour. If the voltage to the CPU was too low for what you were trying to acheive, you'd get the lockups (and odd behavour) in the same way.

For the machine to shutdown, it usually means something's overheated. For instance, it could be the CPU, or it could be the power supply. Those are perhaps the two most common ones. Either way, if you raise the voltage to the CPU, then it's likely to make the problem worse rather than better.
Old 7th July, 2004, 09:59 AM

I CPU is only showing a temp of 50-55 when it dies. I guess it could be PSU but it is a 400w and the only things ihave in the case are 2 HDD 2 DVD-ROM a 9800pro and an SB live 5.1. I have the ZM400B-APS could this be faulty or is he above mentioned too much for the PSU?
Old 9th July, 2004, 07:41 PM

What is the extra four pin PSU connector slot on the nf7-s for? I assume it is for additional voltage for oc-ing, but it is weird to see it on an nonP4 board.
Old 9th July, 2004, 08:06 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It's to allow the NF7-S to drive the CPU from the 12v rail instead of the 5v rail the way a lot of other AMD boards do. Makes sense. If you run off the 12v rail, you don't have to pull as much current in the FETs to get the same voltage, so the FETs run cooler, and you get a more stable VCore, so your OC should be better. I would expect your VCore will be limited to somewhat below the 2.3v max if you run 5v only, instead of using that 12v connector.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!