AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th June, 2004, 03:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Weird NF7 problem

So, I'm working on my machine last night. Pull it all apart, take the CPU out, do some cleaning, put everything back together.

Machine comes up, says "You've pulled your CPU out, I haven't got the foggiest idea what this mobile thing is, so you need to double check your CMOS settings and then reboot". Reboot, no POST. Reset, come back through POST. This time I notice that the machine has booted at a default 100x14. Always before, it would boot at 100x6 with this chip until I had set the CMOS up. Hmmmm..........do some investigating. I've lost ALL multis below 14! Oh, I can set them in CMOS, but I can't POST. So now, instead of running 221x12 like I used to, I'm having to run 189x14. Anyone got any idea why I would suddenly lose all multis below 14, and how that could be related to me pulling the cpu?

Oh ya, rig in sig.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th June, 2004, 05:47 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Have you updated the bios since the time you originally installed the CPU?
Just a wild shot in the dark.
Old 30th June, 2004, 05:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Nope. As I say, everything was rocking along just great. Removed the CPU, did some clean up, put the CPU back in, and now I've got this.

Remember, I'm running direct-die cooling here. I'm wondering if I've somehow inadvertently done something to one of the bridges on my chip that could have caused this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th June, 2004, 05:59 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I know you've had a few mobile CPUs... could you test with a different CPU to see if you get the same results?
Old 30th June, 2004, 08:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yeah, I can. It is just such a PITA to pull the rig apart. (One major drawback to direct-die cooling is that changing the CPU involves draining and refilling the system. )
Old 30th June, 2004, 08:23 PM

What's the difference between posting it and setting it in the bios?

Sorry I'm a comp nub and just finished building my new one with a AMD 2500+/266 mobile and I set it at 133 with a multiplier of 14.
Old 30th June, 2004, 09:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

POST tells you what the computer thinks it is set for. In a lot of BIOSes and mobos, this is all you get, and is based on settings hard-wired into the particular CPU in question. However, with boards that most enthusiasts use (like the NF7-S), you have the ability to go into your CMOS settings and override those hard-wired settings in the CPU. For example, the 2400+ in my sig defaults to 133x13 according to its hard-wired settings (133 MHz bus clock x 13 multiplier). However, I can go into the BIOS and change my CMOS settings to use whatever bus clock and multiplier I want.
Old 1st July, 2004, 02:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to tlemaste

Hmmmm, the first thing you would have suggested to someone else would be to check for debris (lint, dust, popcorn hulls, empty beer cans, etc.) in the socket and to see if any pins were bent on the processor. So, have you?
Phenom II - X4 w/stock hs/f
Rosewill Gamers Case
2x - OCZ Flex-ex 2Gb 1200 DDR2
2x - OCZ 1Gb 800 DDR2
Pioneer 22x dvd burner
2x - WD 1Tb 7200 Rpm HD
WD 600GB 7200 Rpm HD
WD 340GB 7200 Rpm HD
WD 300GB 7200 Rpm HD
WD external 1Tb 7200 Rpm HD
evga NVidia GTX 460 SE
on-board Gbe Lan
Samsung SyncMaster SA300
ACER AK2016W
Thermaltake 800 watt psu
Win 7 Pro
Old 1st July, 2004, 07:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlemaste
Hmmmm, the first thing you would have suggested to someone else would be to check for debris (lint, dust, popcorn hulls, empty beer cans, etc.) in the socket and to see if any pins were bent on the processor. So, have you?
Yep, did that last night.

Here's what I got:

CPU visual inspection appears fine. Plugged CPU in with HSF and AS5, and everything worked quite airily, and default 6x multi just like it should be.

Put the WB back on, booted up, and things did NOT proceed swimmingly. Back to default 14x multi. However, I have some updated information on the whole multi thing.

I can set multis down to 13. At 12.5, I get a real multi of 20. Anything below 12.5 won't post. Setting to any multi between 13 and 22 yeilds that setting (i.e. setting a multi of 20 yeilds a real multi of 20).
Old 1st July, 2004, 10:27 PM
Member/Contributer

I grazed through the post, im out the door, try resetting your bios with the jumper and then START in the low range. For some reason my 2600 mobile wouldn't go from the low to the high and post. Maybe yours is doing the same with the high to low?
Old 1st July, 2004, 11:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Been there. When I reset the CMOS, I still POST at 14x. It's got to be something to do with the waterblock somehow.
Old 11th July, 2004, 11:44 PM

Sounds like water is somehow getting to the bridges. As the mobiles have the bridges safely tucked away under a clear layer is there a possibility that you have scraped a bit of this layer and the water is seeping in and shorting a bridge??
Hood
Cooled by Vapochill
Old 12th July, 2004, 02:02 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

That is the conclusion I have come to as well, although I really don't see how. However, as the man said:

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, MUST be the truth."