AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd July, 2004, 06:01 PM

Frustrating overclock benchmark results

I'm trying to overclock my XP2600+ chip on a shuttle AN35N with pc2700 RAM. I can get to 11x200 FSB fine. However at this setting I get WORSE benchmarks in 3dMark03 and Aquamark (by 5-10%) than my base 12.5x166. I tried increasing Vcore to 1.75 and VRam to 2.7, but it didn't help much. What am I doing wrong? I even tried putting my memory back at 333MHz and putting the timings at 5.3.2.2, still no help.

I've read about unlocking the chip, but I don't think I have that problem, because it shows the right speed (2200) when overclocked to 11x200. Not sure which make of chip I have, but I can change multipliers fine.

I'm seeing incredible 20% improvement by OCing my TI4200 VC, but that's a different matter, and I don't have it OC when OCing my CPU and board.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 4th July, 2004, 03:09 AM

Any tips would be appreciated. I'm new
Shouldn't I see some kind of improvement with 3dmark and aquamark when runing 11x200 instead of 12.5x166?
Old 4th July, 2004, 04:07 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I wouldn't expect 3dMark03 to be affected by CPU or FSB much, either positive or negative. Aquamark should improve a bit at the faster speed, although I don't have a feel for how much.

Since your RAM is PC2700, it is rated for 166 MHz clock. Did you have to loosen your memory timings any in order to get to the 200 MHz clock rate?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th July, 2004, 08:49 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

3DMark03 tries very hard not to be affected by anything but the graphics card processing power. They even went as far as putting code in to negate the effect of the CPU speed on the tests!

Did you change the ratio between the FSB and memory clocks at all? As Gizmo points out, if you're running synchronous, you managed to get your memory clock up to 200MHz. If the memory clock and FSB don't run at the same speed it makes an impact on performance, and it's usually negative.

Edit: Took a quick look at the manual for the AN35N board, and under the "Advanced chipset features" there are a couple of settings. I presume you've been tweeking the FSB frequency, but leaving the memory frequency alone? For the best performance, the memory frequency should be set to "100%", which means the FSB and memory busses run at the same speed. With your RAM, this may mean that you can't get the FSB as high, but you won't pay the performance penalty either!

Last edited by Áedán; 4th July, 2004 at 08:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th July, 2004, 12:20 PM

Yes I'm running my memory in sync (100%) with the FSB. I have the timing set to "auto", so yes they are relaxed.
Old 4th July, 2004, 12:25 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Very interesting... I wonder if the BIOS might be throttling back some settings to 'aid' faster overclocks. Perhaps you should set the timing manually to see if that stops the BIOS from changing your timings? "Auto" is always a dangerous setting to use, as it means exactly that!
Old 4th July, 2004, 01:58 PM

the "auto" sets the memory at 11.4.4.2.5.