AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th July, 2004, 04:06 PM

Which NForce2 board should I pick?

I was thinking about picking the NF7-S Rev 2.0, but what about the Epox 8RDA+? which is best, especially for overclocking?

I'm having this dilemma because the epox is about U$20 cheaper here in brazil...
Old 5th July, 2004, 04:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I've heard lots of good things about the 8RDA+. I like my NF7, but I certainly wouldn't be against the 8RDA+, especially if it was $20 cheaper.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th July, 2004, 05:06 PM

i've heard that the nf7-s is not as good a pick cuz it has some limitations when changing the multiplier and the vcore...is that true?
Old 6th July, 2004, 12:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

The DFI Lanpartys a Nforce 2, and it treats me well. i heard lots of good things so i bought one, plus its cool under UV and of course built in LAN.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th July, 2004, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish
The DFI Lanpartys a Nforce 2, and it treats me well. i heard lots of good things so i bought one, plus its cool under UV and of course built in LAN.
built in LAN? what is that?
(that's what some months not updating your brain about pcs will do to you...)

well the problem with the DFI is actually its price...here in brazil its about 30-40 dollars more expansive than the NF7-S, which is about 20-30 dollars more expensive that the 8RDA3+

oh some folks told me to wait for the 8RDA6+PRO to reach the stores but i dont think its worth it, i dont want a major upgrade for my pc, just a slight one to wait for intel's 64bit...what are the major gains of 8RDA6+PRO over the 8RDA3+?
Old 6th July, 2004, 02:53 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

There are apparently some issues with the NF7-S and certain multis, 10 and 10.5 mostly. I've never had a problem with them myself. I think the VCore problem is a myth. Theoretically, the NF7-S undervolts. This is according to monitor utilities that read the WinBond chip. My own direct measurements taken with my trusty multimeter indicate that, if anything, the NF7-S actually overvolts slightly. At least, that has been the case with both of mine.
Old 6th July, 2004, 09:51 AM
Member/Contributer

They are all great boards and most NF2 boards have LAN as standard.
If you just want a minor upgrade get the 8RDA+ or NF7. They are cheaper than the 8RDA3+ and NF7-S.
Socket A will be aroud for a while yet and the performance of these boards is very good. If you want tried and tested mature board with good features get the NF7-S V2.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 6th July, 2004, 10:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

to be honest its true, ive heard nothing bad about really about the nforce2 boards, if the lanpartys to expensive why not try the Dfi infinity board, nearly exacly the same as the lanparty but a lot cheaper.
Old 6th July, 2004, 10:48 AM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobm
I was thinking about picking the NF7-S Rev 2.0, but what about the Epox 8RDA+? which is best, especially for overclocking?
Very little to choose between them to be honest. Both fast and stable straight out of the box.

If you're in the market for really high FSB though look at the DFI Infinity. It might take a bit more tweaking than the Abit or Epox but there are some great examples of what can be done with it in this section, just search for posts by user name "whatever". In fact if you check the Motherboard section on front page you'll find a very nice review on it,

Last edited by dod; 6th July, 2004 at 10:55 AM.
Old 6th July, 2004, 12:47 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobm
what are the major gains of 8RDA6+PRO over the 8RDA3+?
As far as I can see, the biggest point is that the 8RDA6+PRO has Gigabit ethernet onboard, and it has 4 SATA connectors. The 8RDA3+ has 10/100Mbit ethernet and 2 SATA connectors. Take a look at epox.org and see for yourself!

8RDA3+ specs here
8RDA6+PRO specs here
Old 6th July, 2004, 03:11 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
There are apparently some issues with the NF7-S and certain multis, 10 and 10.5 mostly. I've never had a problem with them myself. I think the VCore problem is a myth. Theoretically, the NF7-S undervolts. This is according to monitor utilities that read the WinBond chip. My own direct measurements taken with my trusty multimeter indicate that, if anything, the NF7-S actually overvolts slightly. At least, that has been the case with both of mine.
ditto to all statements.
Regarding upgrades... the 8rda+ is probably the best choice. It's primary weak spot is also a plus for you. It is a bit long in the tooth, and therefore has the lowest price. You really don't lose anything in terms of performance... The sound isn't quite as nice as soundstorm and there's no SATA. Otherwise, you get a great mobo for a good price. If you wait for the new Epox, you'll be paying for the new shine. It will have more raid options... and the ability to handle many drives at once (like 10 or more), but that does not seem to be a priority for you. There may be more, but I expect the pricing to be much higher than nf7s now.