AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th July, 2004, 01:52 PM

Memtest86, no errors but slow?

Hello there,

I started to get some CTDs and BSODs with my system while playing games so I ran Memtest86, Microsoft Memory Diagnostics and Prime95, they all found errors. So I cleaned some dust from the CPU fan, put the mem in sync with FSB (it's 166FSB/166mem now, 166f/200 previously), upped the Vdimm voltage to 2,72V (from auto) and the CPU voltage to 2,675V (from 2,65V).

I run Prime95 overnight, no errors. Microsoft util finds none as well. But I've run Memtest86 this mornign and it's been running for 6 hours now. No errors found so far, but the final test (#11 I think, have to check when I get home from work) is taking extremely long to finish. And I'm still on the first pass! Even the WallTime clock counter is refreshing only every 2-3 seconds instead of regular 1 second.

Do you guys know whether this is an indication of an error or not? I know that 1 pass of memtest takes a long time, but it's the sluggish Walltime counter that worries me the most...

EPoX 8RDA+ Rev2.1
AMD AthlonXP 2500+ @11x166Mhz
1x512MB of TwinMos PC3200 DDR400
MSI GeForceFX 5900XT-128VTD

Last edited by glObalist; 7th July, 2004 at 03:28 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th July, 2004, 03:26 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Not really a helpful answer here, but running your memory and FSB at the same speed on an nForce 2 board (like the 8RDA+) increases performance. Running them at different speeds, even if the memory is faster, tends to result in a drop in performance.

To be honest unless it's actually crashed, then I wouldn't take it an error.
Old 7th July, 2004, 04:10 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Depending on the amount of memory, type of memory, config, and mobo, the time to run a default test should be in the 5 - 30 minute range. Your results are definitely unusual, which leads me to suspect something is wrong. Reboot and try again...

Are you booting from a floppy or CD? I would trust a CD ISO of memtest more than a floppy disk.

EDIT: Welcome to AOA... Please make yourself at home, and give us an update on your memory when you have a chance.
Old 7th July, 2004, 05:06 PM

Thanks for your welcomes!

Well, I'm running ALL Memtest86 tests, that is the default tests + the extended ones, all in one pass which hasn't yet finished. And it's been running from 0830 to 1800 now! It's getting there, but very slow on the last couple of tests.

Right now it says 100% of Test12 (99% of Pass0). No errors so far, it's just that I had an impression these tests used to take much shorter previously.

Booting from CD

Last edited by glObalist; 7th July, 2004 at 05:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th July, 2004, 07:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If you run the standard tests, it will finish in 10-15 minutes. If you run all tests, it will take between 14 hours and forever, depending on your machine.