AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd July, 2004, 08:50 AM

xp 3200+???

this ones been bugging me. dose anybody know if the new sempron (forgive the spelling) will pass the 3200+ in proformance? everything i've read on it says tha t the semp will only go to 3100+ on the socket A boards. if thats true then the 3200+ will be faster and why even bother to make it for socket A ?? AMD has it scheduled for the 754 socket at higher speeds, so whats up for the socket A??,a slower xp with a new name. i am sorry, i cant get too excited about that. i realy hope i am just reading too much into this and the semp will surpass the 3200+ . i am not trying to cut on AMD , i am a life long fan of thiers, but lately its starting to get very confusing with all the new stuff coming out. i am planning on buying one more socket A board before jumping to a 64 , and dont want to buy another 3200+ if the semp is in fact going to out perform it.i would be thankfull if anyone could enlighten me.
brian770
Old 22nd July, 2004, 10:21 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The impression I was under was that the Sempron was designed to replace the Duron in the 'cost sensitive' (IE, cheap) market.

As for Socket A, AMD appears to be concentrating on the 64bit market, as their 64bit processors run 32bit very well.
Old 22nd July, 2004, 01:39 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

I thought the Sempron was going to be a budget processor.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd July, 2004, 04:56 PM

budget?

with the advent of the 64 wouldnt the xp serise become the new budget cpu why not discontinue the duron and keep the xp because of the huge "fanbase" and excellent pr.,also , then the "new budget line" would totaly smoke the celeron as a plus!!
oh whell just my thoughts
thanks for the info.
brian770
Old 22nd July, 2004, 07:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

1) The XP is manufactured on the 130 nm process, which they have pushed about as far as they can, both performance and cost-wise. The Sempron, although currently 130, is scheduled to go to 90 as I understand it. Since the Sempron is just a castrated Operton, they get all the engineering work of going to 90 nm on the Opteron for free on the Sempron.

2) Since the Sempron is based on the A64 core, if Intel decides to give away Celerons running A64 extensions, AMD can match. If they stay with XP as the cheap chip, that gets a lot harder.

3) By making Sempron the budget chip and phasing out the XP altogether, they get economies of scale, because Semprons can be made from Opertons or Athlon64, or FX chips that don't make the grade. Just disable some hardware in the chip, and bingo! it's a Sempron. Everything comes off the same manufacturing line, and potentially off the same wafer. Hence it is cheaper to make.

Bear in mind, I don't actually know what AMD has in store (some times I wonder if they do either), but the items I've outlined above make sense based on what I do know.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd July, 2004, 07:21 PM

thank you!!

ah, now i see the light!!!!!
that makes perfect sence. thank you!! do you think AMD will finaly have all the bumps worked out of the roadmap so us purchasers can get down to buying? and are the glory days of a 3 year platform aka xp serise gone or will the 939 make the long haul?
thanks!!!
brian770

Last edited by brian770; 22nd July, 2004 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 22nd July, 2004, 07:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Dunno, the answers to any of those questions.

However, one of AMD's strengths has been the fact that when you buy a new CPU, you have a fair chance of it being supported by your current mobo. They would be foolish to throw that away now, IMHO.
Old 22nd July, 2004, 07:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

did i read this right, the new semptron chips are socket A???
Old 22nd July, 2004, 07:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I believe there are actually two flavors of Sempron, one for Socket A and one for Socket 754, but I may be wrong.
Old 22nd July, 2004, 08:08 PM

So if there based on A64s that couldnt make the cut, (im asking for a educated guess here, i know) does this mean that the line would perform better or worse than the XP???
Old 22nd July, 2004, 08:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I expect that similarly rated Semprons will perform slightly worse than their AthlonXP bretheren, simply because AMD is adjusting their PR ratings to compete against the Prescott PIV. Clock-for-clock, everything I've seen says the Prescott performs worse than the Northwood. The Prescott's only advantage is that it can scale to a higher clock speed and has SSE3. Since the Prescott is Intel's new chip, it makes sense for AMD to adjust their PR rating agains the Prescott. Since the new Celeron is also based on the Prescott core, the Sempron will most likely follow suit. I do not have a feel for how much the adjustment will be, though.
Old 22nd July, 2004, 08:26 PM

Thanks gizmo, i was just wondering if this new family of processors would be a line of upgrade for all us Socket A users
Old 18th August, 2004, 07:59 PM

i am running on the epox 8kra2 with the AMD3200XP 400fsb so it would not pay me to get 1 of these new Semprons processors??? i think i will leave my 3200xp alone for know as this mobo was not made with the new Semprons in mind maybe the new socket A mobo that is being made for the new Semprons could push the xp processors even faster that would be cool !!!!!!!

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Old 18th August, 2004, 10:18 PM

Don't start getting all excited about socket A Semprons. They only share a name with the cut down 64s. The socket A Sempron is a Thoroughbred-B core ie < Barton.
Old 18th August, 2004, 11:56 PM

I wont perfectly happy with my new XP-M!!
Old 19th August, 2004, 02:35 AM
Member/Contributer

yea IQYHA owners seem to be pretty happy, esp us 2400 or worse buyers who run over 3200+ buyers
Old 19th August, 2004, 06:14 AM

I just know i can get more from mine, with my new memory ill be ablt to hit the FSB more and get some better overclocks!
Old 19th August, 2004, 08:12 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Sempron's are based on 3 different cores:
throughbredb 333mhz
barton 333mhz 256k
A64...whateva the newest one is...minus the 64bit extensions, or 265k-64bit extensions disabled.
so i guess 3 cores,technically, but the A64 version is the same core with different things wrong i guess. best that i got was that early versions were not capable of handling the 64bit side of things, but the new ones will have the lower cache.
AMD still has plans for socket A, but many OEM's may be dropping the line, i got it semi-officially from gigabyte that they would no longer produce any NEW socketA boards, and would be cutting back to the NNXP. thier primary new focus seems to be everything video...and i understand that there is more mone there than motherboards.
we can look forward to 400mhz socket A's late next year, when the new chip is released.