AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st July, 2004, 04:20 PM
Banned

AMD K6-2 upgrade

Hi there,

2 computers on my network have an amd k6-2 inside - one is 500mhz and the other is 450mhz.

I want to change the processor to a faster one, a duron (hopefully) but am not sure if it will work in the current board. Being given that the board supports an AMD K6-2, whats the highest processor i can stick in them?

Cheers

Offie
Old 31st July, 2004, 06:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

Unfortunately, the Duron is Socket A, and will not fit in a Socket 7 motherboard.

The fastest official speed for any Socket 7 CPU is 550 MHz. AMD improved the performance of the K6-2 by adding 256K level 2 memory cache to the CPU. This was the K6-3. Since CPU's spend 90% of their time using 10% percent of their instructions, L2 memory cache speed is very important. If the memory cache is on the motherboard (as it is with all Socket 7 CPU's other than the K6-3, and the laptop K6-2+ and K6-3+) it can only go as fast as the system bus. If it is on the CPU then it is equal to the CPU's speed.

Though none of them would offer a huge performance increase, a standard K6-3, or either of the mobile (AMD only sold them to be used in laptops) K6-+ series would give you a noticeable boost in overall performance.

A K6-3+ 550 is the best Socket 7 CPU ever made. But they are very rare, so you might as well forget about that one. The K6-2+ are much easier to find, and are identical other than only having 128K L2 cache rather than 256K.
You have to be careful though, not all Socket 7 motherboards will support the mobile CPU's. You need to be able to go at least as low as 2.2 volts (most of the + series are rated for 2.0, but they seem to be able to tolerate 2.2 without problems) for the core, and you need BIOS support.

Here is a good compatibility list, http://compatlist.k6plus.com/ .

If these computers are AT, it might be worth a look to see if you can get a couple of these CPU's to upgrade them.

If these computers are ATX, it would be easier to just scare up a couple of Socket A motherboards and CPU's. A 750 Duron will completely smoke a K6-3+ 550 performance wise. Which makes it all the more amazing that I saw a K6-3+ 550 sell for $170.00 on Ebay a few months ago!
Old 1st August, 2004, 12:35 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Now this is a helpful post. Thanks, Repo Man!
Old 1st August, 2004, 02:27 AM

You're welcome.

I forgot, here is a good article that has information on the mobile K6 series, http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1406
Old 1st August, 2004, 12:38 PM
Banned

Thanks all very much for yer help! Unfortunately, it costs more to get a K6-2+/K6-III off ebay or in stores, than it is to get a mainboard with everything onboard and a processor with ram.

Thanks guys again!

Offie
Old 1st August, 2004, 05:26 PM

That is too bad. It is a shame that these CPU's aren't more readily available.

I was recently shoppng for a K6-2+ 550 to upgrade my laptop. I was outbid at $55.00.

I then tried to buy one from a online store that I found on Pricewatch. They sent me a dead one for $40.00, gave me the runaround on an RMA; then had me send it back, only to ignore my emails and phone calls. Now they've apparently gone out of business. Goodbye $40.00.

These CPU's are really just as obsolete as the standard K6-2, but the standard K6-2 were produced in massive numbers, so they are a dime a dozen on Ebay. K6-3's and the K6-2+ and K6-3+ were never readily available, and their rarity has driven their prices up beyond what they are truly worth. They do boost the performance of Socket 7 systems, but they don't work magic.

As for the guy who paid $170.00 for the K6-3+ 550, I guess he must be some sort of loony collector.
Old 1st August, 2004, 07:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to fulani

I have a K6/2 550 in my board, but can't change the BIOS from the old K6/2 450. It's a "Spacewalker" board, whatever that is, and there's no option in the BIOS. Would it be on an array of jumpers?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2004, 07:59 PM

It sounds as though you have a Shuttle Hot 591P. You'll have to change the multiplier, and possibly the FSB with jumpers. The settings should be clearly silk screened on the motherboard. I tried to find a PDF manual for you, but in their infinite wisdom, Shuttle have chosen not to have a manual available online. Apparently they don't feel the need to offer support for such an old product anymore.
Old 1st August, 2004, 08:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to fulani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo Man
It sounds as though you have a Shuttle Hot 591P. You'll have to change the multiplier, and possibly the FSB with jumpers. The settings should be clearly silk screened on the motherboard. I tried to find a PDF manual for you, but in their infinite wisdom, Shuttle have chosen not to have a manual available online. Apparently they don't feel the need to offer support for such an old product anymore.
Wow, cheers - I think I may have the manual in an old box somewhere. You reckon it's jumpers then? What are the FSB and multipliers I need?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2004, 10:45 PM

5.5x100 will be default for your CPU. If you feel like overclocking, you could try 2x100. The K6-2 core (400 MHz and higher chip speed) reads the setting for 2x as 6x, so that setting would potentially give you 600.

I had one of those motherboards, and there is no setting for any FSB higher than 100. Another way to overclock a bit would be to try SoftFSB to see if you can boost the FSB a bit. Other boards with the MVP3 chipset had settings up to 112 and maybe a bit higher.

Overclocking a standard K6-2 generates quite a bit of heat, and 50 to 100 MHz are the typical gains. Popping the heatshield off can help, but the core is fragile, so you have to be careful if you choose to do so.
Old 22nd September, 2005, 08:03 AM

i hav a k6-2 533mhz on a USI Pro283 motherboard with the sis 540 chipset and i want to change the multiplier settings from x5.5 to something higher or which ever is the best.