AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.69 average.
Old 27th January, 2002, 09:48 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Delta 68 cfm 80mm fan. Which fan adapter?

Whoo-hoo, these 80mm Delta 68 cfm fans are not your Granny's fan. They are very "thick" and weighty, too. I bought one with the aim of replacing a 60mm Delta 38 screamer with it. These 80mm Delta's are said to be as loud as the Delta 38's, but their whine has a lower pitch.

While loud fans save CPU's, the little Delta's are very tiresome after a year.

I'm trying to find out which fan adapter is best for the job. Newegg offers what appears to be a very "thin," or "short" aluminum adapter. It's expensive, natch. I'm concerned that a "thick," or "tall" adapter will give the Delta monstro fan too much leverage--thereby endangering the whole PC. If a mounting lug on the Socket A breaks from the extra sideways load it's possible to wreck your box.

I plan on using the adapter on top of a Vantec CCK-6035D. If there simply seems to be too much moment generated by the stubby fandapter plus mondo fan---I just won't use the fandapter.

Be a shame to waste the $, though.
Old 27th January, 2002, 10:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Here is what I would do:

Mount the Delta 80mm fan in your cases side panel, directly over the CPU. This way the weight of the fan is not on the heatsink. Remove the 60mm fan from your heatsink. Go to home depot and get some aluminum roof flashing(and tin snips if you don't have a pair), and make a square funnel to reduce the 80mm fan's discharge area to that of a 60mm fan. Preferably design the funnel with the discharge 1/4" or so away from the heatsink, or closer.

That should work well.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th January, 2002, 05:38 AM

This fan works great with my Reobus. Much better than the hair dryer 60mm Delta 38cfm. I usually run it at 1/4 speed on my Alpha 8045. Full speed is only for peak overclock.
Old 29th January, 2002, 08:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SickBoy Send a message via AIM to SickBoy

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Here is what I would do:

Mount the Delta 80mm fan in your cases side panel, directly over the CPU. This way the weight of the fan is not on the heatsink. Remove the 60mm fan from your heatsink. Go to home depot and get some aluminum roof flashing(and tin snips if you don't have a pair), and make a square funnel to reduce the 80mm fan's discharge area to that of a 60mm fan. Preferably design the funnel with the discharge 1/4" or so away from the heatsink, or closer.

That should work well.
Good show, Jeff..... excellent idea. That'll also eliminate the "dead spot" that 80MM fans have.
Member #100

Abit KT7A-Raid----TBird 1 GHz@1333------Alpha PAL8045--------1.8v
MSI K7D Master---2x Duron 1.2@1320-----Glaciator II and SK6----1.75V
Asus A7N266-VM-----XP 1800+----SVC GC12----1.75V

"People want to know what I'm on. What am I on?!? I'm on my bike, six hours a day."

-Lance Armstrong, cancer survivor, father, and four-time Tour de France champion
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st February, 2002, 06:44 PM

Mount the fan on the side of your case & use a 2ltr coke bottle for a more efficient duct/VStack/whatever you want to call it
Attached Thumbnails
Delta 68 cfm 80mm fan. Which fan adapter?-vstack01.1.jpg  
¤GF2MX 230core/205mem
¤431W Enermax PSU
¤2 X 20Gig Barracuda III RAID0
¤WXP Pro