AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th September, 2004, 01:50 AM

Question nubie needs advice

hello, im planning to buy a new epox board, can somebody help me to decide whether to choose from epox 8rda+, 8rda3i, and 8krai. stocks of 8rda3+ here in the Philippines are almost 0, and ive been fascinated by overclocking a unit, i help my cousin in assembling a p4 unit with asus pc800-deluxe and the overclocking is very easy {just by selecting 30%}

and one more thing, which processor is much better; tbred-b, barton or sempron, for oveclocking. thanks ...
Old 7th September, 2004, 02:22 AM

my$.02

hi !!!
and welcome to overclocking 101. i havent owened any epox boards yet ( waiting for the 6+ pro) but as far as the proc. i would say that the AMD athlon xp 2500+ mobile is realy your only choise. this of course will be aruged about (in good nature i hope). the semperon hasent been around long enough to tell yet.
the true masterminds of overclocking will be around soon so staytuned.
and good luck!!!
brian770
Old 7th September, 2004, 02:29 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

A mobile CPU is the best choice for a socket A. I haven't kept up lately, but go with a barton core, 35w if you can... They are good overclockers in general, and are still multiplier unlocked. Just about all other AMD CPUs are multiplier locked.

The 8rda+ is a good mobo, but is long in the tooth. The 8krai is a bad idea for overclocking since you don't have a PCI lock, and may have stability problems in your AGP and PCI slots.... Stick with NF2, just make sure you have support for 200+ fsb.

Good luck, and welcome to AOA jackryan.
Old 7th September, 2004, 06:40 AM

hmmm, does abit nf7 have support for 200fsb? doesn't all nf7 have fupport for 200 fsb?

Last edited by jackryan; 7th September, 2004 at 06:50 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th September, 2004, 07:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The NF7 and NF7-S are OFFICIALLY only rated for 166 MHz FSB clock. The NF7-S Ultra-400 is rated for 200 MHz FSB clock.

As a practical matter, I believe most all nForce2 based boards these days will do 200 or better with proper cooling. However, it is still a good idea to check and make sure the mobo you are looking at is rated by the manufacturer to run 200 MHz FSB clock.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th September, 2004, 12:58 AM

is barton 2500+ multiplier unlocked? how about the cooling? which is better zalman 7000-b alcu or thermalright sp-97? ive check the price here for nf7-s ultra 400 and its a bit beyond my cash limit so i think ill go for epox 8rda3i, and what memory is more compatible to epox, twinmos, geil or kingmax, thank you again
Old 8th September, 2004, 05:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The ONLY AthlonXP chips from AMD right now that are NOT multi-locked are the MOBILES. So far as I know, any mobile you buy will be multi-unlocked, because of the way their PowerNow! stuff works.
Old 8th September, 2004, 07:49 AM

sir gizmo how do i know that the processor is mobile? are they compatible with 8rda3+ board? thanks for your immediate response
Old 8th September, 2004, 08:01 AM

me too.

ya Giz , how can you tell just by looking if its a mobile??
i went to newegg and looked at all the mobile photoes and they realy dont say anything.
brian770
Old 8th September, 2004, 03:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

The numbers on the chip will tell the story.

Mobiles will be AXMHxxxxFQQ4C (xxxx is the model number, like 2500)

Most regular desktop chips will be AXDA instead of AXMH.