AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th September, 2004, 11:48 AM

need to know max safe Vcore and temps

I need to know the highest SAFE Vcore values and temps in ºC of these cpu's:

Duron 1.8 - already at 2106

P4 2.4c - already at 3000

wife n' kids' rig: AXP2500+@2.1GHz | Soltek NF2 | 512Mb Geil DDR500 | 9700pro | SB live 5.1 | seagate barracuda 40Gb | Samtron 17" CRT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2004, 04:12 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

The Duron should be safe fore about 0.25v over stock. That would put it around 1.75 or 1.8v. You can go higher that that if you want but it is not without risk. Highest safe temps would be ~70. AMD says 85 but that is just to hot for comfort for me. I like temps under 60.

Best thing to do is take baby steps and slowy up the FSB until it becomes unstable. Then add some Vcore and check stability again. It will get to a point where it will take a lot more Vcore to make it stable. Stop here unless you have some high end cooling.

As long as your full load temps are below 70 and it is stable you're good to go.

I can't really give you any advice on the P4 except for "Fix it till it breaks!"

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2004, 06:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

As staz says, but in my own oppinion the (because overclocking isnt safe unless you know what your doing) the max vcore is what ever it is at safe temps, with my XP ive been right up to 2.0volts (my mobo max) in search of stability at 2.6ghz, but even then the processor was only just hitting 60 degrees under load with my asetek waterchill.

:Edited due to aidans reply.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Razorfish; 10th September, 2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10th September, 2004, 07:10 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish
Voltage on the core aint the killer temprature is!
Too much excess voltage will kill a CPU, even if you keep it cold. Temperature is not the only thing that can kill a CPU, that is for sure.
Old 10th September, 2004, 09:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

OKAY, god... excessive use will. I realize that excessive voltage will eventually kill the chip but in small steps youll get some sort of signs before it just goes...surely.

Last edited by Razorfish; 10th September, 2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10th September, 2004, 09:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Usually.

As you increase voltage, you have to reduce your temp so that the electrons don't try to go places we don't want them. No matter how hard you try though, at some point you exceed the threshold voltage necessary to start causing an 'avalanch' condition. Properly controlled, this can be a good thing. Indeed, zener diodes make use of exactly this principle. Unfortunately, in microprocessors it is uncontrolled. The first sign of this is when you make a slight increase in voltage and get a HUGE increase in power dissipation. At this point, if you don't control the heat, you'll destroy the circuit. However, at voltages and current levels just prior to the avalanch (usually within about 10%, IIRC) you will start creating conditions that are favorable to what is known as 'electro-migration'. Once you start encouraging that, you are making permanent and irreversible changes to the physical structure of the chip. Left alone, this will eventually result in a chip that is unusable.

This 'electro-migration' actually occurs at all voltages and temps, but at some threshold it becomes similar to the avalanch condition, in that small changes in voltage and temperature have a large effect on the deterioration of the chip.
Old 10th September, 2004, 11:58 PM
Member/Contributer

Voltage equals electical pressure. To much pressure and the pipes burst. Then all of that magic smoke that the wizards over at AMD and Intel will escape. With out that magic smoke your CPU is useless.

Old 11th September, 2004, 01:53 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ah yes, the 'Blue Smoke' theory of electronics. I had forgotten about that.
Old 12th September, 2004, 01:01 AM
Banned

i've killed a p4 chip with only 1.725-1.75v over about 8 weeks in my mach-ii at subzero temps so yeh temps are irrelevant here.

some ppl have claimed to run their northwoods at 1.75v on air for months and months with no trouble so there's no definite answer - but don't be surprised if SNDS sets in at any stage once you're 24/7 @ 1.7v+
Old 12th September, 2004, 12:37 PM

But can a Duron 1.8 take more Vcore? Mine is at 1.65v fsb 159x13.5=2146MHz and doing like this under load:

CPU temp 50ºC @ 1.65v

Case temp 43ºC

the HSF is a thermaltake slim volcano 10+ http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/si/a1671.htm
it has a 60mm fan on it. Would it be worth it to buy a 60mm->80mm adaptor and put a good 80mm fan on this heatsink? what fan would you recommend? or is it good enough to try higher at stock specs?

wife n' kids' rig: AXP2500+@2.1GHz | Soltek NF2 | 512Mb Geil DDR500 | 9700pro | SB live 5.1 | seagate barracuda 40Gb | Samtron 17" CRT

Last edited by Kobaia; 12th September, 2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12th September, 2004, 03:07 PM
Member/Contributer

Yes it can take more. Keep it under 1.8 to be safe. Goes as high as 2.0 if you have really good cooling and are not afraid to lose that chip