AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th September, 2004, 04:44 PM

Asus A7V880

I'm thinking about getting this board. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Is it good, bad, are there any major problems with it.
I know the Pros and cons of the other major boards posted about in this forum (the Epox, Abit and DFI boards) and right now I have a KV7 with a decent overclock.
I have a XP 2500+(Barton)
204 X 11.5 @ stock voltage 1.65v. I'm using Thermaltake Volcano9 for cooling and Mushkin ram. (I had some heat issues with the Abit board before I cut a blow hole in the top of my case.)

Honestly, I'm looking for something to do over the weekend while my wife is out of town, and changing to a new MB would be fun to me.

If anyone has any personal experiences with this board please reply.

I would like to know before I purchase it. Thanks
Old 26th September, 2004, 05:13 PM

why not

hi !!
i have been watching this chipset and board for awhile, and have read some of the reviews on it at newegg. they seem to point at it being a decent oc'er.
i've been thinking of getting the Soyo dragon 2 with the kt880 because of the expandability of it.
there was a bois issue at first but it has been resolved and quite a few people have gotten respectable oc's out of it.
so give it a whirl, why not?
brian770
those reviews are here:
http://secure.newegg.com/app/Custrat...tem=13-131-501
please let me know if you do this, as i also might get one.

Last edited by brian770; 26th September, 2004 at 06:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th September, 2004, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryl88
I'm thinking about getting this board. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Is it good, bad, are there any major problems with it.
I know the Pros and cons of the other major boards posted about in this forum (the Epox, Abit and DFI boards) and right now I have a KV7 with a decent overclock.
I have a XP 2500+(Barton)
204 X 11.5 @ stock voltage 1.65v. I'm using Thermaltake Volcano9 for cooling and Mushkin ram. (I had some heat issues with the Abit board before I cut a blow hole in the top of my case.)

Honestly, I'm looking for something to do over the weekend while my wife is out of town, and changing to a new MB would be fun to me.

If anyone has any personal experiences with this board please reply.

I would like to know before I purchase it. Thanks
A while back i read the review of it...

Nice solid board, but it performs still worse than the nVidia nForce2 chipset boards. Very few of the apps where the A7V880 shined but in most of the other apps(office and 3D) it got @$$ whooped by Asus A7N8X. The con is that the A7V880 is much less buggy, such as sound cutting out, losing keyboard/mouse and booting issues when oc'ed..

as for the performance aspect of it, I can't tell exactly what BIOS tweak/overclock setting they've done to the A7V880 in the review.. I don't know how fair of comparison they did in setting up each systems for testing. If I was the test user, it *might* turn out slightly differenty.

The synthetic benchmark such as Sissysoft sandra() did well, but i don't like that bench... sucks.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th September, 2004, 04:41 AM

hi all!!
i read the same reviews and those bugs seem to be taken care of with the latest bois fix.
brian
Old 27th September, 2004, 05:17 AM

I've read a comparison betweem the N-force2 boards and the KT880 boards.

In the review it stated that the Kt880 didn't perform as well as the n-force2 boards because the n-force2 boards had some type of prefetch built into the Northbridge, sort of like more cache for the Proc.

Outside of that, the board looks promising.
Old 27th September, 2004, 06:09 AM

i just root for the underdog , the Nforce boards realy are great!
i just like to see the new stuff catch on and if the kt880 had been around a year ago i am sure it would have gotten more attention and use.
i mostly like the Soyo black dragon 2 because you can hook up more things to it than any other board made today or ever as far as i know.12 drives out of the box with 8 channel sound. 8-ide and 4 sata plus firewire and lan yada,yada,yada.......
brian770
Old 1st October, 2004, 08:55 PM

I just thought that I would let you guys know I got the board Thursday.
I plan to put it in saturday morning and let it run a 24 hour burn-in, then go from there Sunday with testing.
Keep your fingers crossed for me guys.