AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st October, 2004, 02:12 AM

Overclocking a AMD XP 2000+

I've just oc'ed an amd xp2000+ to 2400+ and had a huge jump in temp, when not overclocked the temp would idle at around 50 degrees, now after some thermal grease it's idling at around 30-40 degrees which is a nice difference, after oc'ing to 1850mhz (why oh why doesn't it show the processor type??) it's idling around 45 degrees, specs on system are:

Gigabyte GA-7VA kt400 fsb
AMD athlon xp 2000+ w/ HSF
768 ddr ram (one 256 ddr333 and 1 512 of ddr266)
40g seagate HDD
inno3d (it's a poor manufacturer) geforce 4 ti-4200
and running XP home ed.

also i cannot get my geforce to work in 8xagp, have tried a registry fix and underclocking the card but to no avail, also have a fan under it to help cooling but i found it performs better without it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 1st October, 2004, 02:44 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

I assume to overclock, you've upped the FSB. If so did you make sure that the AGP/PCI is fixed to 66/33 HMz respectivly. If you can't lock them or use dividers to set them to 66/33 MHz, then overclocking is going to be difficult. With a Gigabyte board, I would definatly imagine you can lock the AGP/PCI

Also, unless you increased the voltage on the CPU, you shouldn't have any real temperature increase. In any case 45 idle seems ok to me. What is it like under load?

hope it helps.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st October, 2004, 03:59 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

No KT400 mobos have a pci/agp lock.

Even without additional voltage, overclocking will raise the temps a bit...

Not too unusual. Can your PC2100 overclock to PC2700? If yes, your best performance will come from running your FSB at 166. The 1/5 divider will kick in and get your PCI/AGP back to spec, otherwise you will have to rely on the multipliers.
Old 14th October, 2004, 12:58 AM

Pitch, under a load i _presume_ the temp is going to be about 10-15 degrees higher, although now when i play Farcry i've been told not to overclock due to the games' new technology, didn't notice much difference in oc'ing or not in the game but still get around 50fps in custom details. I have to run my AGP card whether oc'ed or not in 4x agp or it crashes have tried a few fixes which have worked temporarily (underclocking, fast writes off, registry fix etc.) but after a while it craps out on me, incidentally how do you mean AGP/PCI lock? like locking the 33/66??
Old 14th October, 2004, 01:00 AM

@SteveI
Hey, I don't up the voltage on the cpu at all it's set to automatic which seems to do the job of giving it the correct voltage most of the time. as for the AGP 8x problem, i'm stumped and i've asked a super geeky mate who has no idea either, is it the card, mobo, or cpu? don't know if ram overclocks or not how would i find out??

Cheers
Old 21st October, 2004, 04:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguinius
@SteveI
Hey, I don't up the voltage on the cpu at all it's set to automatic which seems to do the job of giving it the correct voltage most of the time. as for the AGP 8x problem, i'm stumped and i've asked a super geeky mate who has no idea either, is it the card, mobo, or cpu? don't know if ram overclocks or not how would i find out??

Cheers
As far as the AGP goes it could be driver related. I have had to play around with drivers especially when overclocking to get a stable run in games. DOOM 3 was a perfect example. had to go back a rev in drivers to run over 200 fsb and oc my card and not crash to desktop....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th November, 2004, 09:29 PM

HAHA just blew money on a soltek 75frn, great for overclocking, it made my job a little too easy just by cranking up the FSB from 133 to 166 anything before 166 was unstable now i have what the bios thinks is a 2600+, got a thermalright alk-700 + ystech? fan stable and running at 39-48 degrees, brilliant, only prob is occasionally my ram i think seems to be the problem, took 1 stick of 256ddr266 out and i'm having problems getting anywhere further with it, changed timings but i wanna up fsb and keep the ram in sync with cpu, also stuck my stock amd fan onto my graphics card and boosted that to 300mhz core w/ 550mhz ram, damnit no matter how far you push a computer to it's limits theres always that nagging voice in your head that says how much further can ya go! cheers guys, any more input greatly appreciated.