AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd October, 2004, 01:39 AM

multiple components weirdness, need some thoughts and advice

Hey, I'm having some weird issues here. I thought i bought some good stuff. Not completely high-end but enough for a decent OC. I'll give a complete list of the most important hardware and some notes with it. I'll post the speeds and voltages of the components. Perhaps you guys can tell me what to change.

CPU: XP-M 2600+
axmg2600fqq4c 443562h40139
iqyha0431dpmw
Set at BIOS to 1.825v for 2400 mhz (12x200)
Note here that every sensor shows fluctuations between 1.87v and 1.89v... Serious overvolting.
2400 appears to be the brick wall i hit. Any frequency over 2440 mhz at any possible voltage is far from stable.

Mobo: Epox 8RDA6+ Pro 1.2
Seems to operate normally, i haven't even begun to try OC'ing the FSB since anything above 205 seems to crash.

Mem: Twinmos Dual Twister CL2 memory. 2x512 with heatspreader attached by the company
This gives me a world of pain. Either this is no CL2 memory (far from it) or there's another issue at hand.
My case provides me with various probes, i stuck one in between the heatspreader and the memory itself. Temp has never been above 42° C during any given operation including prime and toast. Running now at default memory voltage but changing it doesn't do anything.
Timings that crash at prime or toast (within the minute) are even the bios defaults, being 8-4-4-2.5. It doesn't crash at 11-4-4-3 though but how crappy is that.
I tried with another stick of memory, being Apacer 3200 CL2.5. Crashes too on those bios defaults and equally fast.
I am running dual channel but with the Apacer memory it isn't and doesn't help one bit.

PSU: Levicom 480 Watt
This is a black PSU with 2 fans and blue neon. I payed 40€ for it last year. Other "brand" PSUs were at least 20 € more expensive in the same shop. So that must say something about it. Voltage lines seem weird too. Either something is wrong with motherboard monitor or the voltages are completely out of whack.
+3.3v is giving 1.67
+5v=5.05
+12v=11.33
Northbridge set to 1.6 in bios gives 1.57
I can't seem to find actual memory voltages.
all other ones are reported 0
All these are in unstressed conditions. In fact while i'm typing this.
I'm gonna try in stressed conditions but i'll have to be fast.
I'm not very sure about the correctness of these readings... My system seems unstressed stable enough. I can run aquamark, 3dmark03/05 at least once completely, every sisoft sandra bench works... It's just toast and prime and of course the crappy OC

Cooling:
Thermalright SP97 with antec fan @ 3300 rpm.
Thermaltake volcano 7 fan blowing from the side into the case at 3000 rpm
One Papst fan delivered with Casemaster E-Dream medium tower.
Little blue heatsinks set on 8 mosfets.
"Golden" northbridge heatsink with Epox cooler
"Golden" southbridge fan

Temperatures
CPU: 37°/48°
northbridge 28°/37°
unknown 127°/127° (called sensor 3) !!

Other stuff
2x WD160 Drives in Striping mode with OS

There, that's all i can think of atm. Thanks for already reading this.

Cheers
Wolf

EP-8RDA6+ Pro 1.2
XP-M 2600+ IQYHA @ 2400 mhz
2x WD160 RAID-0
Club3d Radeon 9700 pro
sbaudigy2
Old 2nd October, 2004, 02:56 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

#1. Seems you have a basic mobile. From what ican tell, you either get a screaming banshee of a heatsink, and get it under 45 @ full load, or 2.4ghz is the max.
I would think about additional northbridge cooling.. it will go a long way.

Most memory will never go over the max rated 75C. otherwise i would not worry about heat. some memory types have a mex of 55c.. check it out.

I don't know whether your board is nforce2 based, but if it is, be sure to check that your memory is BH- or CH- class memory. As far as i know, only these two types will run @ CAS 2 on nforce chipsets. memory voltage should be set to whatever the OEM rating is, pc3200 is generally 2.65 or so.

beyond those three things, i myself cannot give you more help...it makes a world of differnce being in front of the machine
Old 2nd October, 2004, 05:08 AM

You might want to pull out the good old voltometer and measure by hand what the voltages are that are coming out of you PSU. That may be causing some problems.
I don't know if anyone has gotten to it but:
Welcome to AOA!
Old 2nd October, 2004, 05:46 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki69c
You might want to pull out the good old voltometer and measure by hand what the voltages are that are coming out of you PSU. That may be causing some problems.
I don't know if anyone has gotten to it but:
Welcome to AOA!

What nki69c says. A bad PS will cause some of the problems that Wolf2000me details.
Old 2nd October, 2004, 07:49 PM

ty nki69c

I just bought myself a brand new Thermaltake 480 Watt PSU. I have to do some work but i'm going to test my rig again very soon. I'll be back with the results.

btw, what do you mean with 'basic mobile'?

Last edited by Wolf2000me; 2nd October, 2004 at 07:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th October, 2004, 07:38 AM

So, atm. the PSU seemed to have nothing to do with the problems. It's definatly the ram. I tried a biosupdate but that one is the worst bios i have seen in many years...
Techsupport@epox.nl told me to wait for the next bios update but i already ordered new ram. This time i'm sure it's going to be compatible.
The ram is rated CL2 but now it's running at 15-7-7-7-3T. Which still causes errors

Also, reducing the voltage over the cpu seemed to stabilaze a bit more.
Now what's a basic mobile?
Old 7th October, 2004, 10:55 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Timings that crash at prime or toast (within the minute) are even the bios defaults, being 8-4-4-2.5. It doesn't crash at 11-4-4-3 though but how crappy is that.
I tried with another stick of memory, being Apacer 3200 CL2.5. Crashes too on those bios defaults and equally fast.
I am running dual channel but with the Apacer memory it isn't and doesn't help one bit.
There's very little difference between 2.5-4-4-8 and 3-4-4-11, apart from the fact that they're both suboptimal. The last digit (or first digit, depending on how you write it) is the length of time a page is held open. Lowering this can cause the RAM page being read to be closed prematurely, terminating the read early. This then means the chipset has to reopen the RAM page to finish the read off.

To calculate the page open time, add the other numbers together, and add one then round off. So for 2.5-4-4, you would add 2.5+4+4 to get 10.5. Add one and you get 11.5. The half left over can be ignored. So, you'd end up with 11. (I think - I've forgotten some of the memory theory I once knew)

Before you try running dual channel, get single channel stable. Dual channel puts a higher stress on the memory controller, and is therefore more likely to cause problems at lower memory bus speeds.

One last thing - I've found that low latency RAM often intensely dislikes slow timings, and that overly lax timings can cause as much of a problem as overly tight timings can!
Old 7th October, 2004, 05:34 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
ty nki69c

I just bought myself a brand new Thermaltake 480 Watt PSU. I have to do some work but i'm going to test my rig again very soon. I'll be back with the results.

btw, what do you mean with 'basic mobile'?

regular, run-of-the-mill mobile. Means a great overclocker. 2.4-2.5ghz is pretty much the norm.

as Aedan was saying, add the numbers and add one for N-force boards. this is kinda due to the onboard cache of the n-force board.