AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th November, 2004, 08:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Seriously Hot Coils on DFI Lanparty?

Okay, got a question here... After coming to my final Rock solid Overclock on my DFI Lanparty NF2 Rev. B mobo i decided to get personal and check all around the board to see how hot every this was running. The cpu is great the overclocks stable so the northbridge is ok...but there is three coils under the CPU socket (see picture) and with my raytek thermometer these coils are reaching the midi 70's (celsius) i even seen them get to 80! Is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Seriously Hot Coils on DFI Lanparty?-nfiicoils.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th November, 2004, 08:53 PM
Member/Contributer

do you have an exhaust fan?
mine are only around 45 though the mosfet coolers on my msi board get quite hot

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th November, 2004, 09:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The coils can safely run temps in excess of 150C without damage. The issue you should be concerning yourself with is how hot are your FETs? Odds are, they are running about the same temp, and that is a Bad Thing.
Old 5th November, 2004, 12:17 AM

Well belive it or not the FETs seen to the bottom of the picture under the coils are reasonably warm, but not burning, i cant touch the cils but the fets are okay, You reckon i put some sinks on them? (even though i know they dissipate their heat though the back tab into the ground plain of the mobo)
Old 5th November, 2004, 03:28 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I would take that thermometer (is it infrared or a probe, or what) and check the temp of the FETs at the tab. As long as they are at 50C or lower, you should be OK. Anything over 60C and I'd look at some cooling for them.
Old 5th November, 2004, 06:19 PM

Okay its a infrared non contact thermometer and ive got a old intel heatsink i can butcher to make some little FETsinks.
Old 5th November, 2004, 07:21 PM
AOA Staff

If you can increase air flow in that area that would help. If you were using an air cooler on your CPU they would get some cooling as a side effect of that. But, with water cooling the air may be too still in that area.
Old 6th November, 2004, 04:05 PM

I think youve hit the nail on the head there danrok. Ive had a feel about and due to the CPU and NB blocks the air sits very still and warm in that area, i might see if i can make a little bracket to hold a fan over that area.