AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > AMD Motherboards & CPUs

AMD Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on AMD products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th November, 2004, 10:42 PM

AMD 1700 newb overclock, a lil help plz :)

Hey
Im very new to overclocking and these forums, anywayz i found an XP Tbred 1700 at work and heard certain ones could be good for overclocking. found out that it was "jiuhb dltc3 0310" steeping (if u get my drift probably got all the letters wrong way round :P , anywayz its in the pc now i'll look at it next time i turn it off). so got me self an nf7 v2.0 mobo which i heard were good for clocking with and sum geil pc3200 value ram, friend who overclocks rated them well got meself one of those gigabyte strange heatpipe coolers, thought i'd give them a go. also got a 9800xt with artic cooling rev 3 not really gonna overclock the video card just enabled overdrive in the options, doing anything else looks quite daunting, also got an antec 450watt smartpower psu didnt know much about psu's but i heard good things about antec and this was a bargin i thought @ £51.

Ok let me get back on the subject i thought i would try my hand at overclocking and ive got it @ 10.5 multi 200fsb stable in windows, ive also benchmarked it about 10 times with different resolution and AA settings, and run cpu burn-in for 2hours. what do u guys use to test stability ive heard alot about prime95 what is it and how do u use it??? i havent hit any kind of wall yet i just didnt want to push it to hard its running at about 32c idle 4000rpm and 44c load. this obviously hasn't got anymore juice running thru it but i just wanted to know what how much you would say would be the limit of these chips before they get fried and what temps are dangerous.

Thanking you muchly in advanced
Old 6th November, 2004, 10:49 PM

Sounds like you're off to a great start! I would recommend going to the link for Team 45 and downloading folding and using that program to test your overclock. It is also for a great cause!
Old 6th November, 2004, 11:07 PM
Member/Contributer

I have a similar CPU and it would do 2.1-2.2Ghz at 1.6V in the NF7-S. You could try lowering the multi to 10 (I believe 10 is a sweet spot for the NF7 with some BIOS's) and then raising the FSB 2-3 Mhz at a time.

My guess (experience) is that you will probably get to 220 FSB and the board will not let you go any higher. You can try various BIOS's by TicTac and Merlin to get to 230+ as well as adding a passive heatsink to the MCP-T southbridge and good cooling to the board in general.
Memory timings are also worth playing with. Good luck and keep us posted.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th November, 2004, 12:25 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

your temps are fine, anything above 60C and i would start worrying. as said before you should be good for about 2.1-2.2 GHz with that chip.

and you can download folding too (click on my sig) it is the best way to test your overclock. and you can keep it running afterwards because it is for a good cause.
Old 7th November, 2004, 12:44 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

0310's are a classic oc favorite. I had 5 at one point... Average oc was 2.2-2.4ghz, all on air.
Old 7th November, 2004, 12:52 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

i've got one @ 1.6v 2.2ghz(11x200)...same stepping but week 09 instead of week 10. In N-force based boards, i could not get it at 200mhz fsb, but in my ASUS board it booted up and has been running for at least a week....going to 2.4 corrupted the harddrive, but it'll proly do 2.3. Usind a volcano 11+ for cooling...temps are 45c @ load 38 idle. Infineon 2.5-3-3-8 ram.
Old 7th November, 2004, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
0310's are a classic oc favorite.
yuuuuuup

i still got the chip and i keep em good.... it's a classic.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th November, 2004, 12:23 PM

ta very much, i'll give them all a try see how much i can get out of this chip, just one more question, how long do you normally run the folding program for before you consider it a stable overclock
Old 7th November, 2004, 06:46 PM
Member/Contributer

When you have a score like SteveI's

Laz

AOA Team fah
Old 7th November, 2004, 11:18 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
When you have a score like SteveI's

Laz
LOL.

24 hours is good...I recommend running a 3d program at the same time, so as to fully stress your system.

24hours with folding will get you a cpu speed. Remember FSB gain = better performance that just multi's.

Run Memtest 86 to find the limits of your ram(fsb), with a low cpu multi. 7 full runs should do it.

Use one of the synthetic benchmarks to test videocard overclocking, or the MOST demanding game you can find on the market.3dmark03 is a good one as well (troll and nature tests)

throw all those tests together with an intensive online game...run a Battlefield:Vietman server with max players or something. Make sure you have folding in the background, and give it(folding) slightly higher that normal priority(via taskmanager). Let it run for a week, if you can. Still alive? You got a good system.

just my 2 cents.
Old 8th November, 2004, 04:01 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Personally I like playing a high bitrate movie on repeat, Prime95 and running PCMark in the background.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 8th November, 2004, 10:14 AM

hmmm looks like ive got my workcut out when i get home from work tonight

Currently O/C-ing ...
1700 jiuhb 0310 tbred @ 10.5x206 Default Vcore
Abit NF7 v2.0
1Gb Geil PC3200 Vaule Default Voltage
Radeon 9800XT 256Mb inc. Arctic Cooling Rev 3

Not finished there, will keep you updated
Old 8th November, 2004, 11:00 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

How's the new job?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 9th November, 2004, 12:00 PM

Yea the jobs going all good ta, little *****'s been using USB flash drives to install the original d00m and quake, so we had to roast a few of them 2day which was fun

So in between disabling the USB devices around the school and shouting at the kids i get time to read through these forums (what a bouns ).

Anywayz tonight im gonna finish what i started, i had another look through the overclocking beginners guide and noticed a few more things. So i gotta overclock the ram and memtest it cos at the moment ive hit a wall @ 206 x 10.5 then pump some more juice through both CPU and RAM and and see where i get i'll post my results once i have them

Currently O/C-ing ...
1700 jiuhb 0310 tbred @ 10.5x206 Default Vcore
Abit NF7 v2.0
1Gb Geil PC3200 Vaule Default Voltage
Radeon 9800XT 256Mb inc. Arctic Cooling Rev 3

Not finished there, will keep you updated